Pan Fried Salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly no secret that we love salmon. We try to have salmon once a week, and there are so many different ways to make it. I also like simple, whole food meals that are easy and inexpensive. One of my favorite ways to cook salmon is pan fried.

I'm using Old Bay Seasoning this time-it's low sodium, healthy and is a good all around seasoning for seafood. I've also snapped some asparagus and will cook the asparagus alongside the salmon. The salmon is seasoned on the non-skin side.

In my favorite cast iron pan on medium heat with a little butter and olive oil (to keep the butter from getting brown). Salmon goes in with the seasoning down.

You can actually watch the salmon cook. After about 5 minutes the cook line will nearly be at the top.

Once the cook line is nearly at the top flip the salmon over and toss in the asparagus. You can vary the crispness of the seasoning layer by varying the amount of time before it's flipped. I like it just a touch crispy, but the Old Bay Seasoning does quite well either blackened or more lightly cooked.

Add a little rice to it and it's a great meal, made in about 15 minutes, and costs about $6/person. The asparagus picks up a bit of the seasoning flavor that was on the salmon and it has a great flavor. I let the asparagus go long enough so it's firm but not crisp.

The salmon is about 300 calories, the asparagus is about 40 calories, and the rice is about 150 calories. All that for around 500 calories and packed with flavor.

Is it wonder why salmon is one of our favorites?

What you have there is exactly one of my favorite meals. I prefer grilled salmon, but I do have it with rice and asparagus.
That's good eatin'.

Nice write up. Does it stink the house up? That's the only thing I dislike about it. Any major differences between wild and farm raised as far as quality, taste etc. I love fish. Just had some halibut earlier.

We also have salmon once a week and do all our cooking in cast iron. Must be a BITOGer thing. Haven't seen Old Bay Seasoning since I was in college, ages ago. Great stuff.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Try some from Old Bay seasoning from www.penzeys.com . Excellent chili powder, white pepper, cinnamon, onion, garlic powder etc.

Penzeys is a local favorite here in WI. My wife has a lot of their stuff in her spice rack. I didn't know they carried Old Bay. I'll have to check them out, thanks for the tip.

Looks delicious!!
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Does it stink the house up? That's the only thing I dislike about it.

Of course not. Salmon has a very neutral odor. If it were to smell even the slightest bit "fishy" I wouldn't cook it.

can't wait until the technology allows virtual reality to enjoy the food seen on my screen. Can 3D printer recreate that dish for me? :)

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Delicious. I love salmon and I love asparagus.

I need to buy some salmon, it's a tad expensive for normal consumption for me though.

Says the guy with a $5k in bikes! Just teasing, we get ours on sale, or they sell the tails in a bigger package for a reasonable amount.
Or you should take up ice fishing, then just buying trout or salmon in the store seems cheap!

Beautiful. Cooking it exactly like that is one of our favorites too. We use the CI a TON.

Im surprised that you say OB is low sodium. Honestly Ive never looked, but Im in the DC/MD area a lot and people love to slather their food in it. I always thought it was somewhat salty for my taste, though a flavor set I do enjoy.

Never thought about putting it on salmon though, Id think the flavor is a bit too strong for salmon. We will have to try it.

I refuse to buy "atlantic" (farmed) salmon though, and fresh caught is pretty good money these days. Even for a big one at Costco. Worth it in the end though.

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back