Rotella T1 API Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure if this thread belongs in the OPE forum or the HD oil forum so here goes. The Kohler engine in my Wheel Horse calls for straight SAE 30 until temps get below freezing. I was just thinking I'd get some T1 Rotella in SAE 30 and call it good. But looking at the API logo, that oil is only rated CF-2, CF. There doesn't seem to be any rating for spark engines. Why is this? Am I safe to use it in a 1980 Kohler gas engine or should I get another HD SAE 30 oil with a spark engine rating?

Last edited:
It was SJ which is no longer supported. SO no listing. I use this oil in all of my 4-cycle power equipment. Runs great....no issues at all.

So it meets a certification that is so far obsolete for gas engines that they don't bother to list it? Would I be better then to buy the TSC house brand of HD SAE 30 that meets SN specs? I believe it's branded as Travelers oil. How about any straight 30 with a modern API spec?

There should be no engineering issue using Rotella T1, IMO. What rating (not grade) does your Kohler call for? Is warranty an issue? I'm figuring if the engine is old enough that its manual requires single-grade, then your engine is older than the "so far obsolete they don't bother to list it" SJ rating anyway. I pretty much use Rotella T6 5w40 year round in all my OPE regardless of original manual recommendation.

Personally I'd trust a Rotella T1 product that meets an ancient spec over a "house brand" oil that meets the latest/greatest.

The rotella will be more then sufficient. I have used it in the past.
There 15w-40 is good to and provides more cold flow.

ken

ps. nice to see a few k-series kohlers thumpin along still.
i have a wheel horse 857 kohler k-131?(8hp)
Also have k-321as powered ingersoll 224 (1978model)

The engine I'll be running the Rotella in is a K321. It runs like a top still after 30-some years. I'm not the original owner though.

Originally Posted By: JR
The rotella will be more then sufficient. I have used it in the past.
There 15w-40 is good to and provides more cold flow.

ken

ps. nice to see a few k-series kohlers thumpin along still.
i have a wheel horse 857 kohler k-131?(8hp)
Also have k-321as powered ingersoll 224 (1978model)

8-horse horizontal shaft is a K181. I spent untold hours as a kid mowing and hauling with a JD-110 powered by a K181S. Still have the tractor (Dad never sold it or tossed it, so I inherited it as a parts-heap). Maybe one day I'll restore it. A cracked ring many, many hours into its second rebuild, along with the tractor being generally worn out, is what finally parked it. Dad replaced it with an LX-173, also Kohler powered. Way too many plastic parts on that thing, and it just doesn't feel as tough as the old 110. But I'm actually still using the 173 and was able to get all the broken plastic parts (hood, bumper, hinge) and a new PTO clutch for it on Ebay.

I'm running Rotella 30w as well in both my k series Kohler Case lawn mowers, and was wondering the same thing. The last bottle I bought was still SJ rated, but noticed that rating is gone on the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back