Heating citrus grove the old way

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I did not take this picture, it does show the way citrus growers used to heat their groves on cold nights years ago. When I was a child and up into my high school years, "firing a grove" was an acceptable excuse to miss x number of days of school. The cost of fuel has made this a very rare way to heat groves these days. I always thought it was a pretty sight to have all those heaters going at night. Each heater holds ten gallons of number two diesel fuel which will last one night. These heaters, (often called "smudge pots" or "choofas" - because of the noise they make are actually named "hi-lo" heaters due to the return pipe which recirculates some of the flame for a better burn). To give you an idea of how many were used in a given grove, I remember the story of one grower up in the Citra Florida area heating his 500 acre grove with 21,000 heaters for three nights running during the freeze of 1977.

Just thought some might be interested.

i2oj29.jpg

Another picture of a smudge pot. Sometimes these would get so hot they would explode. It would burn the trees around the pot, but I never heard of anyone getting hurt or being burned.

2elb62f.jpg

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Each heater holds ten gallons of number two diesel fuel which will last one night. These heaters, (often called "smudge pots" or "choofas" - because of the noise they make are actually named "hi-lo" heaters due to the return pipe which recirculates some of the flame for a better burn). To give you an idea of how many were used in a given grove, I remember the story of one grower up in the Citra Florida area heating his 500 acre grove with 21,000 heaters for three nights running during the freeze of 1977.

10gallon/night, times 3 nights, times 21,000 heaters... I bet that was expensive, even in 1977!

I was raised in Central Florida and well remember smudge pots and 'firing up the groves'. During high school in late '60s I went out a few times, and got out of school, helping friends' families fire up the groves. I remember near Orlando along I-4 between SR 434 and SR 436 a few times when it got cold, the nearby groves were lit up, and fog moved onto I-4 from Sanlando Springs..the road was encased in a solid pitch black goo made up of the blackness from smudge pots combined with fog...there were horrific car pile ups on the interstate cuz people couldn't see but about to the hood of their cars.

In the '80s back to back hard, hard freezes pretty much did in all of the citrus business in central Florida north of Lakeland..it was horrible for citrus people. My brother went partners with some of his inlaws in the citrus business raising nursery stock citrus plants. They leased a couple of acres and potted about 5000 citrus plants. They got wiped out with one freeze. A couple of years later they tried it again... this time they invested in impact sprinkler irrigation that they would turn on to insulate plants...next freeze they turned them on and they locked up frozen in one position not insulating plants...they got wiped out again. My brother told his inlaws to never call him again about investing in nursery stock plants!

I remember smudge pots in the citrus groves out here in California but they haven't them for a long time. Wind machines and helocopters have taken over.
Cool pictures

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to remember piles of tires being burned too years ago to heat Florida citrus groves during hard freezes.

good stuff. I remember those in the orchards near where I grew up and how there was such a weird smell out while walking to school.
I thought I remember being told that they burned kerosene but I am not sure.

Almost looks like a pulse jet engine. Red color and all. Hope all is well with the citrus crop.

All this illustrates that the Florida climate is marginal for growing citrus. There has been some talk about introducing macadamia nuts to supplant citrus. Macadamia nuts are easy to grow and harvest.

Citrus is fine south of Lakeland, until the freezes of the 1980s citrus was extensive up to approximately 20 miles north and parallel with State Road 50...all that area got wiped out and never really came back...houses were built on much of the acreage that used to be citrus in that area. Citrus grower competition from Brazil is more damaging to the Florida citrus industry now than freezes.

Until about 1900, pineapples were the big crop in Florida before citrus took off. When the railroad was run down Florida's east coast to Miami, pineapple growers moved to Cuba with its cheaper labor and Florida's pineapple industry died...same kind of thing happening with Brazil and citrus.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
When I was young we had one of these we would take camping

When I was a kid, Dad would take me to the greayhound races, and they had them there too...

My Dad's "big" grove was in Lake county a mile south of 474 just above the "Four Corners" area. When I was growing up it was all citrus groves for miles in any direction. Now it's houses everywhere. When I was little, there were large groves even as far north as northern Marion county, (Orange Lake, Island Grove, Citra and McIntosh).

One thing that made it possible to have groves this far north was the cheap price of fuel at between nine cents to eleven cents a gallon. The price of fruit was good, especially in the northern areas as cold weather "sweetens" the fruit, raising the pounds solid, (increasing the sugar content of the fruit) and therefore brings a higher price for the fruit, (a grower is paid per pounds solid for his or her fruit). The danger of course is that it might get too cold and ruin not only the crop but kill the tree.

The back to back freezes of the 80's (81, 83, 85 and 89)combined with the high cost of fuel and the low price of fruit because of competition from Brazil is what ruined the citrus industry in Central Florida (Oldasco is spot on correct). Each freeze was different and therefore hard to battle. If it's windy, no type of heater will protect the tree or the fruit as the wind simply blows the heat away.

Regarding burning tires, that's what we used to do. My Uncles had smudge pots, we burned tires. That was outlawed in 1972. My Dad had just ordered 50,000 tires delivered to his grove, (paying 25 cents for each tire). So now we had a mountain of 50,000 tires at the end of the grove. When the freeze of 1977 came along, the government lifted the ban for that freeze and we were able to burn all 50,000 tires out in the grove. When the freezes of the 80's came along, my Dad replanted his grove three times in a row and was froze out three times back to back.

What is ruining the citrus industry in Florida now is "greening." It came over from China in a shipment of ornamental plants back in 2004 and has spread rapidly all over the state. It makes the fruit bitter and kills the tree and currently, there is no cure (if you want to learn more, google "Citrus greening"). It's the reason me and the "Luv" machine have been so busy cutting dead wood and pulling stumps out of the ground. So far, we've lost about one hundred trees to greening. The only plus is I have mountains of firewood, which in Florida, is practically useless. (I was thinking of you northern guys last Monday as I had one heck of a bonfire going). There is a spray you can apply that will keep the tree alive for a period of time, but grower costs have risen from 600 dollars an acre to over 2000 dollars an acre because of this spraying which makes it almost impossible to compete with fruit from Brazil. Brazil has greening as well, but the lost cost of land/labor makes it profitable for them to grow citrus.

Originally Posted By: Oldasco
\A couple of years later they tried it again... this time they invested in impact sprinkler irrigation that they would turn on to insulate plants...next freeze they turned them on and they locked up frozen in one position not insulating plants...they got wiped out again. My brother told his inlaws to never call him again about investing in nursery stock plants!

My Dad tells the story of one grower south of him who had overhead sprinklers in his grove. During the freeze of '62 he ran his sprinklers to keep his grove warm. The heads started freezing up, so he rode around in his truck all night with his shot gun, shooting the sprinkler heads with bird shot. When morning came, he went to get out of his truck but couldn't because the doors were frozen shut. He had to climb out the window.

GreeCguy thanks for taking the time to post your stories. I enjoy reading them very much, a bit of history, a bit of a reminder that getting food to our tables is not an easy task.

Wishing you good luck with your crop.

What do oranges mean to people? In the depression, quite a lot. Nowadays people take so much for granted. I found this story in a 1996 issue of Trains magazine. I like to read it at Christmas. I posted it here a couple of times, not this year tho...

From Trains magazine:
Grandfather’s Allergy

Did I ever tell you the story about my grandfather’s allergy? He was an engineer on the Canadian Pacific Railway. He was a figure of mystery to us children, climbing up into the cab of the locomotive to disappear into the black Canadian night, heading out for Halifax, Nova Scotia, westward into the darkness. A burly, gruff, reserved but kindly man, our grandfather was exciting to us for many reasons, but none was as mysterious as his allergy to oranges.

In those days – it was the depression – oranges were a rare and precious indulgence. When it appeared at Christmas time, an orange was the ultimate stocking present – for good children only. In our family, oranges were particularly remarkable because our grandfather was allergic to them… most of the time. He could neither eat them nor drink the juice without experiencing severe allergic reactions, and in fact, he avoided even touching the orange skin… most of the time.

So it was rather amazing to us that our grandfather’s allergy to oranges disappeared only when he went to work on the train at Christmas. Every year, just at Christmas time, he would extravagantly buy several large bags of oranges. But they did not come to our house – they went with the train. And only at Christmas.

After he swung up into his locomotive, with the bags of bright, orange fruit conspicuous in the sooty, black world of steam power, Grandfather would settle himself into his engineer’s seat, blow the whistle, and wave to us. The train would move majestically down the track, eventually to become just sound and smoke. To us, it was all part of the mysteries of Christmas and the inexplicable ways of grownups. We never thought to wonder how an allergy could disappear on a train.

Some years later, my family moved from Nova Scotia to Massachusetts. That winter, my 17th, I broke my leg in a serious tobogganing accident. I spent most of the winter in a hospital in Newton, my leg in traction, my schoolwork arriving at my bedside via hired tutor and the occasional classmate. Snow fell that winter for me only on the other side of hospital windowpane; sleet and ice storms rattled against the glass. The short winter days and long winter nights were real only through the window.

The hospital nurses were my steady companions, my link to people and the outside world. I got to know many of them well, listening to their stories and sharing their lives. One of them had grown up in Nova Scotia, a fact she gave away with her accent, a clipped Scots-Canadian English that I recognized at once. One evening in December, near Christmas, when the hospital was unusually quiet, she spent some time at my bedside talking of her Canadian childhood and memories of Christmas there.

“Life in Nova Scotia was hard. We were poor, extremely poor – and so was everyone else. We didn’t realize how poor we were. We thought that was the way things were. Our parents worked all the time just to survive, to provide the essentials for survival. Everybody had to work, even the children. We lived in one of the poorest sections of town; the railroad ran just in back of our house.”

“In winter, we heated our houses with coal. The job given to us children was to walk along the railroad tracks and pick up the pieces of coal that had fallen from passing trains. We would drag the coal home in cloth sacks.”

“We got to know the trains very well; we knew the local trains and their crews; we knew the big, important trains, the ones that went all the way across Canada. We waved at all the engineers, the firemen and brakemen, the crews in the caboose. Some of the men were friendly and waved back; others were grumpy and stared straight ahead, ignoring us grubby little children, scavenging with frozen fingers in the snow for pieces of coal to stuff into our sacks.”

“There was one engineer who was different. We never knew his name, but we always knew when his train had gone through. We felt he was our friend. He would direct his firetender to throw great shovels full of coal over the side of the coal car, scattering many pieces along the tracks. None of the other engineers did that. We children would run quickly along the tracks and ties, eagerly grabbing the chunks of coal, filling our bags until they were almost too heavy to carry.”

The December sleet rattled against the dark windowpanes of my room. It was a night for telling stories. “Christmas time was always the best,” my nurse recalled. “It was always cold, and always snowing, so sometimes the coal was hard to find. But our favorite engineer did what he could to give us extra coal.”

“And once a year, but only at Christmas time, he also brought us something even more precious than coal – oranges! There in the grimy snow, after his big, powerful train had gone through, would be plenty of coal… and oh, the oranges! Oranges all along the tracks, gleaming brightly amidst the black lumps of coal. I will never forget it. To us, Christmas was the sight of oranges in the snow.”

And then, so many years later, I finally understood my grandfather’s allergy.

– Margaret Betts

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
The only plus is I have mountains of firewood, which in Florida, is practically useless. (I was thinking of you northern guys last Monday as I had one heck of a bonfire going).

Build some cheapo roofs over the stuff, and save it for the next winter chill?

Things are a LOT different now in Lake county and other Florida counties than a few decades ago. To build a roof to cover wood today you'd have to get a building permit, pay impact fees, submit a regional impact study, and fight a tidal wave of heat and objections to the roof from the northern retirees in The Villages who wouldn't want you doing the project. I miss the old days!

California citrus just suffered a freeze and some areas have Asian Citrus Psyllid. It's a rough season already.

Vineyards around here use overhead sprinklers and Selective Inverted Sinks to combat frost.

We are seeing an uptick in sales of our frost protection machinery for vegitables. A special fabric is layed out that breathes but provides enough insulation to keep vegitables from freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back