Shell Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...?

Shell Helix Ultra -- Pennzoil Ultra
Shell Helix HX7 -- Pennzoil Platinum
Shell Helix HX5 -- Pennzoil Gold
Shell Helix HX3 -- Pennzoil

I think the US yellow bottle is probably the same as theirs, i don't know where the HX3 would in in the Pennzoil US line up.

Edit: Maybe Shannow can chime in, he would probably know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
So...?

nay

hx5=15w40,25w60 etc.

its australia spec oils.. not likely the same as anything in the us.

although certain ones may be close how could anyone really know?

Last edited:
In Nicaragua we have FormulaShell, Pennzoil, and Helix available. As the Shell PDS website allows to narrow down by country, I have done some comparisons of the products here.

HELIX HX5 10w30, 20w50 = FormulaShell

HELIX HX7 - This is where I it gets a I bit tricky as there are 2 formulations. One made in USA, the other made in EU or Argentina. The difference without looking at specs is in the name; although both are API SN, one includes it in the title the other does not:

-HELIX HX7 10w40: API SN, ACEA A3/B3/B4, JASO SG+; MB, VW, RENAULT certified. Made in EU Or Argentina.
4a446bdc385b90c610718ffca8f53374.jpg
dfb07f027540a4f733e7a258bd2b30ae.jpg

-HELIS HX7 SN 10w40, 10w 30 = PYB. API SN. Made in Houston by SOPUS.
9ebf81ac78636b5f5bddaa884da54719.jpg
2c728556759fa58aa5d47282511b3fd7.jpg

HELIX ULTRA 5w40 = Pennzoil ULTRA

Originally Posted By: Rand
So...?

nay

hx5=15w40,25w60 etc.

its australia spec oils.. not likely the same as anything in the us.

although certain ones may be close how could anyone really know?

I posted it not because of the different viscosity but the fact they claim it actually cleans and synthetics clean and protect much better than mineral oils
Many on BITOG and one additive seller in particular claim oil does not clean well.
In this document Shell themselves have very little good to say about old dino.

The two comparisons appear to me anyway that what SOPUS is selling as mineral oil in the US is something other than.

For the Ultra they claim..

Originally Posted By: Shell
PERFORMANCE FEATURES
LOW SAPS OIL FOR EMISSION SYSTEM PROTECTION

Provides long life for exhaust after treatment devices.
SHELL’S ULTIMATE ACTIVE CLEANSING TECHNOLOGY

Up to five times as effective at removing sludge from dirty engines
than a normal mineral oil.
LONG-TERM OXIDATION STABILITY

Up to 37% more protection than other fully synthetic leading
brands tested.
LOW VISCOSITY, RAPID OIL FLOW AND
LOW FRICTION

Improved fuel efficiency and easier cold starting

For the pure dino oil..

FORMULATED TO REMOVE ENGINE DEPOSITS

Helps to protect and prolong the life of the engine.
OXIDATION RESISTANCE

Resists oil degradation throughout the oil drain interval.
MULTI-GRADE VISCOSITY

Easier cold starting compared with mono-grade oils.

Helps reduce oil consumption.

In the same description they say..
Formulated with cleansing technology to help stop dirt and sludge
building

but that is also similar to the usa website
also a bunch of pictures of it being cleaner than m1 etc.

I think I'm confused about this post now

what exactly is a
"STEP-CHANGE
CLEANSING
PERFORMANCE"

Quote:
Pennzoil Ultra™
Ultra-Class Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Specially formulated with Hyper Cleansing Technology™ which means nothing keeps your engine closer to factory clean.1 Pennzoil Ultra™ is the highest level of clean your engine can get.

5 star rating

Today’s tighter-tolerance engines require a motor oil that keeps them as close as possible to factory clean. Because the tighter the spaces between critical engine parts, the more crucial it is that the oil keeps those surfaces clean and protected. Even small deposits can make a big difference in performance. Pennzoil Ultra™ with Hyper Cleansing Technology™ is a proprietary full synthetic motor oil that does just that. It’s our new standard in synthetic motor oils by Pennzoil, because nothing keeps your engine closer to factory clean than new Pennzoil Ultra™.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I think the US yellow bottle is probably the same as theirs, i don't know where the HX3 would in in the Pennzoil US line up.

I don't know much about Shell products in Oz, except they are pricey compared to their competition (except the Ultra, which can be had fairly reasonably).

Keep hearing that "this she;; product is the pennzoil"...can't say either way...
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif
...the case for Ultra appears sound.

With the exception of Ultra, AsPac Shell Helix does not really match up with Pennzoil products. This is how I would compare them

Helix Ultra PU

----? PP

Helix HX7 ----?

----? PYB

Helix HX5 ----?
Helix HX3 ----?

HX5 and HX3 are essentially the same, they only differ by grade and I think they are A2/SL rated at best, i.e. obsolete. HX7 is the volume seller SN/GF-5 A3/229.3. Their marketing just states Ultra>HX7>HX5>HX3.

They should really get rid of HX5 or offer a suitable equalevent to Engine Armour/GTX/MS etc

Last edited:
My observation has been that short OCIs with any oil will show cleaning in a neglected engine.
There is probably nothing special about these oils in their ability to clean up deposits that have formed as a result of neglected maintenance.
An engine that's seen regular changes at reasonable intervals for the use it gets will typically look very clean.

So...?

Yep.
That sums it all up nicely.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
So...?

Yep.
That sums it all up nicely.

Actually it doesn't as a few of us have shown. They don't line up exactly as they criss-cross.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Trav

I don't know much about Shell products in Oz, except they are pricey compared to their competition (except the Ultra, which can be had fairly reasonably).

Keep hearing that "this she;; product is the pennzoil"...can't say either way...
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif
...the case for Ultra appears sound.

LOLing at Karma today.

Supercheap have HX-5 on special at $16 for 5 litres, and I just bought two for the Caprice...closest that I've ever gotten to the mythical $3/qt oil...

http://www.epc.shell.com/docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_Australia_Shell_Helix_HX5_15W-40_(SL_CF_A2)_(en-AU)_TDS.pdf

Shannow, is oil getting cheaper in Oz?

The AUD has strengthened so much in the last few years, oil should be cheaper now.

I've seen euro synthetic deals in the UK that rival US deals.

Hi,
TrevorS - Shannow will no doubt have your answer but the AUD has dropped around 20% in a very short time - about three months. We are in for a price shock here in OZ

IMO some lubricants have come down in price - this is due to a huge oversupply in Asia and our products are mainly based on Singapore

M1 0W-40 is selling about $90AUD for 5 litres and M1 5W-30 is around $75AUD

The Chevron Supreme 10w40 was on significant clearance in Ozzie Costcos a while back.

When I was there it had just arrived and was selling for $4 a quart. I got some and then returned it as I couldn't bring myself to pay double the US price. After I left, it went on clearance to something better than the US price.

I think there was no brand recognition and someone at Costco hadn't realized that about oil.

Interestingly it was labeled syn blend whereas it is conventional in the US. I later learnt that in Oz semi syn and syn blend have distinct meanings. Syn blend means that additives are synthetic and semi syn means some of the oil is synthetic. You can see some of this on the Valvoline Australia site.

Shell seems to be competitively priced here, on the lower end of the good stuff price wise...strange as I presume they are sourced from Australia as Shell has pulled out of NZ. I seem to be converting to Shell, my NX Coupe and daughters Subaru Omega are now on HX7 10-40 and my bike is now on HX3 20-50.

Just been out to check my bottles - both HX7 and HX3 say active cleaning agents...and appear to be made in Malaysia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back