Best oil for LS3 in warm to hot conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoveOil
Dude, don't waste your dough on Mobil1 0w40… that's $99 for 5 liters in Oz.

If I was you, I would use Mobil Delvac MX ESP (CJ-4)
15w40
HT/HS is 4.3
Under hard acceleration, it will protect your engines bottom end bearing and other components more than Mobil 1 0w40.

$125 for 20 liters and delivery is free.
http://lubesdirect.com.au/shop/lubricants/delvac-mx-esp-15w-40/

Holy smokes! If its that expensive there I would go redline instead. I only pay $25 for five quarts.
YALL NEED A WAL-MART! !

15w40
HT/HS is 4.3
Under hard acceleration, it will protect your engines bottom end bearing and other components more than Mobil 1 0w40.

Care to explain why it would "protect the bottom end bearings better"?

Originally Posted By: dparm

15w40
HT/HS is 4.3

Because the diamond dust in that $20 per liter Australian M1 will eat the bearings.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm

15w40
HT/HS is 4.3

Better protection because of oil film thickness in bearings.

$20/liter... mother of god.

If the Red Line is reasonably priced, great. If there's a quality 15w-40 available to you, that'll be just fine too.

Edge 5W-30 is about $70 for 5 litres.
Penrite is about $50-55.

If I were the OP, I'd ante up for M1 0W-40, and change it at 10,000km.

I occasionally drive a 2006 HSV GTO (LS2) and the manual states to use 10w-30.
But that was back in the transition period where they were changing to 5w-30, and in the lead up to the Dexos spec.
Now they don't accept 10w-30 for approval and it's 5w-30 or thinner now whether we like it or not.
Thanks to the USA and their CAFE imposed restrictions.
I think your manual will reflect a requirement for this new 5w-30 grade.
As it would be for all VE's

I used to run Mobil 1 10w-30 while the car was under warranty. But you can't buy it now anyway. It's only the thinner stuff.
Then I switched to Amsoil ATM 10w-30, when it came out of warranty and have been happily running it ever since.
A few oil changes after the switch to Amsoil the copper wear rates suddenly dropped to half of what they were when using Mobil 1. It maybe coincidental.

I have heard about and personally seen that some engines are a bit tickety in the valve train with Mobil 1.
Any way my engine is was quiet from the start and remains so to this day.

I'm not a big fan of Penrite.
I'm never sure about Castrol.
Redline is very expensive, and probably not good value on that basis.
Mobil 1 5w-30 is readily available and a good price at Repco.
You can get either grade from Amsoil just as easily at about the same price as Mobil 1.
If you go to the Amsoil website and check out their recommendations for my 2006 GTO (it's in the Pontiac section).
You will see that they recommend the 10w-30 grade for our climate here in OZ.
That's as good of an indication as any, of where we should be heading in terms of the most suitable grade for OZ.

Maybe Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a good oil as well??

Last edited:
OP, 105F isn't really hot at all. I would run thinnest oil recommended. We hit over 100F in PA. When I lived in AZ we hit 120F during heat waves. 105 was a cold July day. Always ran 20 and 30s. No problems at all. If you are speced for something as heavy as a 40 if towing above 120F, then run that, otherwise don't bother.

Last edited:
Holden allows a full saps 40 grade. I would use Castrol Edge w/ti FST 0w40 as it is a very light 40, HTHSV 3.6, and cheaper than M1.

What about an oil with:

- Moly 568
- Boron 129
- Calcium 3195
- Phosphorus 1484
- Zinc 1469
- Antimony 840
- SUS Vis @210F 86.4
cSt Vis @100C 17.10
HTSC 4.42
VI 183
Plus the antifoaming in a good average?

Well thanks for the feedback guys. As for posting pics, I don't know how
frown.gif
I picked the car up yesterday and yes it specifies 5-30 M1. I don't see how anyone would know I was running 0-40 M1 or 10-30 Amsoil suggested as yes it's still under warranty.

Originally Posted By: KennyBling71
Well thanks for the feedback guys. As for posting pics, I don't know how
frown.gif
I picked the car up yesterday and yes it specifies 5-30 M1. I don't see how anyone would know I was running 0-40 M1 or 10-30 Amsoil suggested as yes it's still under warranty.

I thought it would've been 5w-30 they spec.
It's pretty much universal now.
I remember they did the drive around OZ thing in a VZ ute with the 5w-30 Mobil 1 when it superseded the 10w-30 as a promotional stunt for an obscene amount of K's. It works.

If your going for the Mobil 1, I reckon the 0w-40 is arguably their best oil they make, and it's a pretty thin oil for a 40 weight. Excellent VI, HTHS & TBN properties.

I'm personally sticking with the Amsoil ATM 10w-30, even though I've toyed with the idea of going with their 5w-30. As I said, Amsoil themselves recommend the 10w-30 for us with our ambient temps.
I'm quite satisfied that the oil pressure comes up quick enough(according to the gauge) on a cold start after sitting for a long time.
And you know how slow to move the Holden gauges are. They're always very well dampened and always have been.

The other thing to note, is that these LS engines aren't very hard on the oil.

And you may even want to try one of the Amsoil Eao oil filters?

I live in South Florida, where it's hot and humid nearly all year. (yes, we get down to 45 degrees a few days per year)

I've found that 10W-30 M1 gives me the best UOA results, better by half, than the 5W-20 that the manual requires.

In my Jaguar X-Type, I run 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil. It's a very robust oil, with a stout additive package. The UOA results are 75% better on this oil, when compared to anything else I've tried in this car. (they are known for spinning bearings) and I'm now at 140,000 miles of daily redline abuse.

The LS-3 drivers around here almost always use M1, 10W-30. With a few users of Rotella T6 (with good results) or Amsoil 10W-30 (also with good results) The LS-3 is a very tough engine, with none of the problems associated with LS-1 and LS-2 engines.

Originally Posted By: miami993
What about an oil with:

- Moly 568
- Boron 129
- Calcium 3195
- Phosphorus 1484
- Zinc 1469
- Antimony 840
- SUS Vis @210F 86.4
cSt Vis @100C 17.10
HTSC 4.42
VI 183

RLI 5W-40?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Ducman
And you may even want to try one of the Amsoil Eao oil filters?

^^^THESE I can recommend for the LSxes, regardless of what oil the OP ends up going with in his LS3!
thumbsup2.gif

I use the longer EaO 64 on mine just for the 'warm and fuzzies' of the larger filter.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: miami993
What about an oil with:

- Moly 568
- Boron 129
- Calcium 3195
- Phosphorus 1484
- Zinc 1469
- Antimony 840
- SUS Vis @210F 86.4
- cSt Vis @100C 17.10
HTSC 4.42
VI 183

RLI 5W-40?
21.gif

Not RLI 5w40...nonetheless the above formulation is Group 5!

Also from Jupiter, Florida.

It gets warm here. Not as hot as OZ, but mid/high 80's and low 90's is normal most of the year.

I ran M1 5w30 (as spec'd from the dealer), M1 0w40, Chevron 15w40, and Pennzoil Ultra 5w30. My father has a ZR1 and uses M1 5w30. He does not track his car and mostly drives to work. I have driven it. The M1 5w30 seems to be fine, but if it were my car.. with that supercharger.. I would run something a tad thicker/more robust. (my opinion)

You can find my UOA's on most of these oils by searching the my 'Threads Started' posts.

FWIW I drove my Camaro hard and tracked it here and there.

Car ran great on M1 5w30 and 0w40. I felt the M1w40 was a little more sluggish(?) than the 5w30, but in a good way.

The 15w40 ran extremely sluggish in this engine. It did not hurt any and gave a great UOA (for whatever value that holds). You could definitely feel a lack of horsepower and 'quickness' with the 15w40. I do not recommend.

The Pennzoil Ultra is what ran the best, or should I say.. felt the best. To me that is. The right compromise and felt smoother between M1 5w30 and 0w40.

You may not be able to find Ultra 5w30. So I suggest an equivalent. Whatever that may be..

That's my opinion for ya. Hope it helps. Nice car. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back