Shell Rotella T5 vs T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran the T6 in an 87 Bonneville 3800 I used to have. It was in good shape and ran great but was seriously sludged up inside. Looked like charcoal in the valve cover, couldn't even see inside. I kept my oil changes to 5k since it was so dirty and in about 60k miles of using it the inside was just varnish. Never had any cat issues or cold start issues in single digits. The consumption went down to ZERO with that oil. It was a no brainer. Give it a shot, you might like it.

I have been running Rotella T6 in my '99 M3 (S52B32) for almost 20,000 miles now, I think. At least a few oil changes (5,000 miles each). The bottom end has almost 175,000 miles on it. I have my oil analyzed by Terry at Dyson Analysis. All reports come back great. It is even better than the Redline 5w30 I was running before. Valvetrain noise is about the same as the Redline and I think my oil consumption has decreased slightly, although I have also replaced a bunch of oil gaskets. Redline did keep the engine very clean though. UOA is just a bit better with T6 and obviously is much cheaper, easier to find.

Here's a good one for the BMW straight six family: M5x/S5x!

Now if only someone could tell me where to buy T6 in cases of quarts so I can keep some in the trunk for topping off!

I have not seen T6 in a case but WM typically has quarts aboue the larger bottles in our area.

The high zinc and phosphorus in Shell Rotella should give you great UOA numbers. We like it for our flat tappets in the older stuff like the 454 and 429 engines and of course the diesel tractors. The John Deere sounds the same over 15W-40 as T6 but the Massey Ferguson injector pump noise is less running T6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back