Honda CR-V possible VTC problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some searching after I heard a loud screech starting up the CR-V today. So there was a TSB from Honda talking about VTC actuators having problems on 2008-2010 Accords. The CR-V also uses the K24. Also heard some YouTube clips that were dead ringers for the noise. If it is a faulty VTC actuator, is there going to be eventual damage, or is it just an annoying noise at startup? I can live with the noise if it's not causing other problems.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
I've been doing some searching after I heard a loud screech starting up the CR-V today. [I've] . . . heard some YouTube clips that were dead ringers for the noise. If it is a faulty VTC actuator, is there going to be eventual damage, or is it just an annoying noise at startup? . . . .

Excellent question, Dave. This clip explains how the system works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OtRlQrAc5IY As depicted in the clip, when it's operating as designed, the VTC actuator moves back and forth, advancing and retarding the timing of the camshafts based on oil being forced into the chambers in the actuator. When the actuator fails to move, the sound you hear are the metal components clashing with one another until the oil pressure is sufficient to move the actuator and lock it in place. If it's not repaired, it's conceivable that eventually the actuator could seize in one position. If that occurred, the engine wouldn't respond to throttle changes.

I would clean the filter on your VCT and switch from PYB to PP 5w20 or maybe 5w30. Doesn't Honda call for 5w20 on that engine?

Thanks, I have been thinking about checking the VTC screens, but the one in question is under the power steering pump and not easy to get to. Interestingly, it didn't do it today even though it was just as cold. Yes, 5W-20 is recommended, but even when it was -10 last week it didn't do this. In fact, I've been using 5W-30 for a couple years and never heard this.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Thanks, I have been thinking about checking the VTC screens, but the one in question is under the power steering pump and not easy to get to. Interestingly, it didn't do it today even though it was just as cold. Yes, 5W-20 is recommended, but even when it was -10 last week it didn't do this. In fact, I've been using 5W-30 for a couple years and never heard this. (Emphasis added.)

And you may never hear it again. VTC issues are not all that common to begin with, and there's no question (in my mind, at least) that extremely cold weather is a proximate cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back