oil flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the response. Yes the ticking is at warm up & seems to go away when warmed up. I will follow advice & not use any flush. I bought vehicle at 30K. I always used Mobil 1. I thought it was the best & still have confidence in it. I would be nervous about using a thicker oil as one advised if GM specifies to use 5/30. Wouldn't the tolerance's be to tight for a thicker oil? This Yukon is a 2007. Also the oil pressure gauge seems to be just below the 1/2 way point when warmed up at 1800 RPM.

Originally Posted By: raidermark
Thank you all for the response. Yes the ticking is at warm up & seems to go away when warmed up. I will follow advice & not use any flush. I bought vehicle at 30K. I always used Mobil 1. I thought it was the best & still have confidence in it. I would be nervous about using a thicker oil as one advised if GM specifies to use 5/30. Wouldn't the tolerance's be to tight for a thicker oil? This Yukon is a 2007. Also the oil pressure gauge seems to be just below the 1/2 way point when warmed up at 1800 RPM.

No the clearances aren't to tight for thicker oil.
And if you've used M1 since 30000 miles I seriously doubt there is any need for any type of flush.
M1 is loud in some engines. It just is. Try a different brand. Or even a conventional. If you're running 5000 mile intervals anyways there's no gain using a synthetic anyways.
Conventional tend to be less noisy,I don't know why,and I guarantee you'd not be able to see nor would a lab find any wear differences between a syn and conventional at 5000 mile intervals.
Try Quaker state ultimate durability. At 10000 mile intervals.

Its probably piston slap as mentioned above. I had a 5.3 that did this

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Try Quaker state ultimate durability. At 10000 mile intervals.
+1.

In my ex's car, I used MC 5W-20 for the first 15,000 miles (we bought it with 87,000) then switched to PP for the next 75,000. This motor has always been a bit chatty, but for the last 2 OCIs, I've used QSUD and I swear the motor is quieter. It may be power of suggestion, and I don't hear the car that often anymore since she moved out, but I remember thinking it sounded like new the last time I heard it.

And, no she doesn't have someone else working on it...we're still friends and I'm still the wrench.
55.gif

I'm surprised no one has asked if the OP is using the same oil filter? Or did you change the brand of oil filter with the latest oil change? Also how is the temperature in your area? I know that not all of Nevada is desert.

I always change the oil filter with every change. I use the Fram Ultra Guard synthetic filter (99% efficiancy rating) - (I know I'll get beat up for this, Bitoger's don't seem to like Fram). Our winters can be nasty; some -5* days but mostly average 18 at night 40 in the day. I don't drive the truck often it's mainly for when I pull my 6000 lb. travel trailer or the wife takes her girlfriends shopping. I don't want to deviate from the GM recommendation of 5/30 & then mess up the truck. I'm inclined to think the tick might be a minor characteristic of the engine as suggested by comments of piston slap. I probably worry for nothing.
Thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back