API SL allowed, can HM oil be used in newer car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Other than MAXlife which says so, If the owners manual allows for API SL, 5w/10w30, what HM oils can be used in a new vehicle?

Defy
M1 HM
MSHM
Pnzl HM
Havoline HM
?

Last edited:
Yes they can be used but high mileage oils typically contain double the dose of seal conditioners as compared to regular oils and are unnecessary in a new vehicle. Short answer is yes but you would be better suited to a low deposit oil like Edge or Amsoil.

I agree.

High mileage oils often have pretty good additive packages and are overall very good oils, usually synthetic blends too.

However, if the car is not very high mileage, not burning or leaking oil, I would stick with very good conventional or synthetic non-high mileage products. No need to put extra seal conditioners in your engine that is young, why risk it?

I was reading the info on the Mobil 1 web site and they indicated the HM mobil 1 was mostly for older vehicles that had been using dino oil for years and it would help clean them out, plus seal conditioners.

Originally Posted By: datech
I was reading the info on the Mobil 1 web site and they indicated the HM mobil 1 was mostly for older vehicles that had been using dino oil for years and it would help clean them out, plus seal conditioners.

They also mention in their Q&A section, HM will do no harm in new cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back