PhoCo Box Clean-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a temp piece of CAT5 from the router out the window to the PhoCo demarc-box as my cheap POTS 2-pair that's > 30+ years has aged so bad the insulation has broken down, causing shorts. It's not even suitable for the phone, much less ADSL.

Yesterday, I opened the box and noticed all the brass was very dull looking and there were signs of green corrosion in the threads. I began by removing all the wires, nuts, washers and spraying them with Cramolin Red (DeOxit) in a small container while I worked. I chucked a small wire-wheel brush into the moto-tool and used it to clean the threads and everything else until it was shiny brass again. Then applied Cramolin Blue (PreserveIt) before reassembly.

I also wanted to run a new line into the attic space where I could distribute it as needed. I discovered the 1/2" pvc conduit would fit perfectly inside the half-collar fitting on the bottom of the box and could be held in place with a couple of zip ties. I used a couple of 90° elbows as I didn't have room for sweeps and ran the conduit up the wall.

Climbed into the attic with two CAT5 cables where I plan on the home-run location and routed them through the trusses to the hole I made through the siding. (This is the time of year to work in a central Tx attic!). That done I slipped them through the outside conduit and into the box. I left it all unconnected as it was quitting time.

I need to locate a punch-down block and a phone/ADSL splitter to wire in at the home-run location. I have a centrally located closet where the upflow HVAC unit is so I think I'll use a wall inside for it. It will be nice to get this job behind me.

IMG_7352_zpse94e9c8e.jpg

I've removed the lightning arrestor to clean the terminals. The main ground is still attached at the bottom of the brass buss bar. Note the installation of the 1/2" pvc conduit on the bottom left, held in place with a zip tie. Using conduit looks nicer and will protect the CAT5 cable from the elements and Sun.

IMG_7354_zps3408398e.jpg

Here's a close-up of the conduit connection. This looks neater than individual wires/cable exiting. I search for some sort of strain-relief to adapt to this fitting, then realized that the conduit itself might just fit.

IMG_7357_zpsd17b413e.jpg

A bit dark as I underexposed to compensate for the direct Sunlight. Note the now shiny brass connections.

IMG_7358_zpsf9b738c8.jpg

Ready for hook-up.

Very similar to how I have mine setup. My run is short (maybe 2ft) into my basement, where it runs into a Corning VDSL2 splitter. I'd recommend the same unit for you.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Very similar to how I have mine setup. My run is short (maybe 2ft) into my basement, where it runs into a Corning VDSL2 splitter. I'd recommend the same unit for you.

Next time I see an ATT truck in the neighborhood, I'm going to ask if my Demarc Box can be upgraded and an ADSL splitter installed in it. I've heard they do this for U-verse subscribers.

I'll also call ATT tomorrow and ask about getting this upgrade. They may do it for free. Then I could use part of a block for voice and the rest for data.

What do you think?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Next time I see an ATT truck in the neighborhood, I'm going to ask if my Demarc Box can be upgraded and an ADSL splitter installed in it. I've heard they do this for U-verse subscribers.

I'll also call ATT tomorrow and ask about getting this upgrade. They may do it for free. Then I could use part of a block for voice and the rest for data.

What do you think?

I think that's a great idea. I bought the splitter ($20.00) because Bell wouldn't have done that for me since I don't use their service
wink.gif
That and I figured I'd do a better wiring job.

Buying a NID with a built-in splitter was a lot more money, so this route made the most sense to me.

ATT wants $100 to come out and install one of these splitters in the NID so I told them no thanks. Been calling around locally and can't seem to find them in-stock. Have yet to encounter an ATT truck to ask for one. May not be worth the hassle!

Picked up both a 66 & half-of-a-110 block yesterday. The 66 block is cert 5e and made in the USA by Seimon, the 110 cheap asian. So I'm leaning towards the former. I don't have a basement, so I'll install the block in the HVAC closet. Also wondering if I should move the router into the same area instead of the floor behind the desktop confuser?

I'm looking at maybe three points of distribution: office, kitchen, living room with voice + data at each.

ATT wants $100 to come out and install one of these splitters in the NID so I told them no thanks. Been calling around locally and can't seem to find them in-stock. Have yet to encounter an ATT truck to ask for one. May not be worth the hassle!

Picked up both a 66 & half-of-a-110 block yesterday. The 66 block is cert 5e and made in the USA by Seimon, the 110 cheap asian. So I'm leaning towards the former. I don't have a basement, so I'll install the block in the HVAC closet. Also wondering if I should move the router into the same area instead of the floor behind the desktop confuser?

I'm looking at maybe three points of distribution: office, kitchen, living room with voice + data at each.

Here's the one for inside the NID:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corning-SPS-SA1-...=item19e53d8016

Here is the one I have:
cps-dtv2-0w-cn_a_zoom.jpg

http://catalog.corning.com/CableSystems/...0&vid=23291

where did you buy yours? I've called several distributers locally who Corning lists on their website and they don't have a clue nor stock these. Can't even give me a price. It's getting to be more trouble than it's worth. I can always wire the punch block so to add one later as this is holding me up. Thanks for chiming in.

where did you buy yours? I've called several distributers locally who Corning lists on their website and they don't have a clue nor stock these. Can't even give me a price. It's getting to be more trouble than it's worth. I can always wire the punch block so to add one later as this is holding me up. Thanks for chiming in.

My local ISP stocks them, LOL! They are around $20.00.

Can't you just order it online?

They also carry this one: TII 80-410V

Which works just as well.

You could buy it on-line from here:
http://www.shop.dsl-filters.com/product.sc?productId=77

My local ISP stocks them, LOL! They are around $20.00. They also carry this one: TII 80-410V Which works just as well. You could buy it on-line from here:
http://www.shop.dsl-filters.com/product.sc?productId=77

Wow your ISP stocks them? No joy down here from ATT. I may get lucky if I see one of their service trucks stopped.

I'm not exactly expecting an improvement over what I currently have as its a 10ft piece of Cat5 from the MODEM to the demarc box! So I want to re-route it through the attic and down the wall to replace the old 2-pair. My medium speed dsl 6Mb/sec down works fine for me and is only $20/month. Thanks for the link.

Update: Plan C brought me luck...

I decided to go for a bike ride to get away from the confuser and lo and behold, I came across an ATT U-verse truck in the neighborhood. The tech walked up 5 min. later. I asked if he happened to have any of the ADSL splitters that go in the NID and he replied SURE!!

He gave me an updated model of the one I'd been searching for: Tii95S-1-12
95S-1-11__59866.1354663665.1280.1280.jpg

He also gave me an AFL DM000535 NID VDSL POTS splitter and mentioned that it probably wasn't compatible with ADSL.

Not sure which is these is 'better' as I don't have VDSL or ADSL+ service. However, my thanks to the generosity of the U-verse installer I came across. So I'm back in business with no further delays. Whoo-Hoo!

The cold Canadian air arrived on-time this a.m. and looks to stay around a few days at least. Now I can get back up in the attic and do some work.

That was a great score. The truck guys have always been helpful.
11.gif

Cheers & Beers

Update:
Decided to go with a 100-pair 66-block for connection/distribution use. I'd also like to mount the ATT-supplied 7550 router next to the 66B for convienence. This will also place it higher off the ground, so signal strength might improve. Maybe. I can easily run a 110Vac outlet as well to provide modem power.

I'd like to distribute a CAT5 cable to each of 5 places. The modem has 4 10/100 ports with RJ45 connectors. From what I understand 10/100 = ethernet, which means it needs all 4 pairs to function. Correct?

So the DATA signal from the DSL splitter in the demarc box is connected to the modem through the 66B. Then the 10/100 ports will each need to be run to 4 of those locations, leaving one out. So I'll need two CAT5 cables to each jack: one containing VOICE and the other 10/100. Correct?

I understand that all LT's now have wireless ethernet cards and maybe still have 10/100 wired ports. But not a DSL modem inside. So I can't feed it a 2-wire DATA line from the splitter and get DSL. Instead it needs either a wireless ethernet or to be plugged into a 10/100 outlet. Correct?

The first round of figuring I thought I'd just distribute VOICE and DATA to each location. But a modem would still be required at that location to enable DSL. Further, these 'isolated' modems wouldn't communicate with each other either.

So if I put the 4-port modem next to the block, then I could distribute an additional cable to each jack and the 4 of them would be on the same network.

Most of the time, I'm using a single desktop plugged straight into the modem and I keep the radio disabled. Occasionally, I light up another desktop to do some Autocad/photoshop work. When I need to transfer files or to print, I plug it into one of the 4 10/100 ports. Nothing in the media center uses ethernet (yet), but perhaps I should plan on a cable there.

I can always have more 10/100 cables than ports, and either get a switch or just move them around as needed. I do have a spare Netgear N150 wireless router (WNR1000) that might be able to be used in dumb mode as a switch, not sure.

Before I start punching the block, I want to lay this all out first. While I can send DATA through the same cable as VOICE to each jack, I'm not sure what good it will do as I'll have to install a modem at that point to use DSL.

What are your thoughts on this?

You want the data port isolated BY ITSELF, with no other loads on the line. The lesser the load, the better the signal. That's what the DSL splitter does, it isolates the DSL line from the loads inside the house (every foot of cable counts as a load) and you are supposed to put the modem as close to that isolated connection as possible. Mine is about 2ft away over CAT 6+. The ONLY thing that is supposed to connect to that port is a DSL modem (or modems if you are using link aggregation and multiple pairs but I'm assuming you aren't, LOL!)

Essentially, you want your DSL modem at the splitter, which you want close to or inside the NID. The whole idea is to reduce loop length and loads to get the best signal and thus the best negotiated link rate without drops. The clearer the line the higher you can push the sync rate RCO before drops happen. I'm at 99% RCO (24/4Mbit) but I never have any drops, ever, because of how clean the line is and how I have it setup.

From that point you can distribute using Ethernet. If you want to light up internal jacks for data use, assuming you have a router, you'd have it at your distribution point and plumb runs to the jacks you want live. My distribution point is my office desk, which then has the CAT 6+ plumbed back from my switch to the various distribution points in the house.

I can put it in a VISIO diagram if that helps you at all?

Also, on a 4-pair cable, only two pairs are used for data with 10/100, to use all 4 pairs requires Gig-E.

What this translates into is that if you wanted to run data from a switch or modem with an integrated switch over the same CAT5/5e/6/6+ cable as the POTS service you could.

OK...got that. I'll have the splitter in the NIC. The DATA pair will go to the 66B about 20' away where it'll go into the modem. From there it'll be ethernet CAT5 to jacks around the house.

To be sure I'm clear re: your second post....ethernet is only 2 pairs. So I could run a pair for VOICE over the same cable? Really? Didn't think that would fly. It might be more work though trying to integrate it into one cable, than pulling two.

Else I'd have to take a cable, put an RJ45 on it to fit the jack on the modem, split out the two pairs on the 66B, run a pair over for VOICE then take that out on a new single cable. Punching isn't THAT much fun....still I'll think about it though it might be best to keep the two systems separate and run one color CAT5 for VOICE and another color for 10/100 ethernet.

Any on-line guides wiring guides you could recommend? Thanks for your time assisting me with this!

Here's one that shows the cable sets:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

I always use 568B just because it was the one I memorized many many moons ago.

I like to separate my services, so while I wouldn't run ethernet/POTS over the same cable unless I had to (and I have had to) I just wanted you to know that it was in fact possible
smile.gif

Personally I'd pick up a cheap patch panel from Craigslist or something and use that for your Ethernet distribution. I have a pile of them in my basement from wiring jobs, they come in handy periodically.

I like your idea with using the different colours. That's what we usually do. And then do different colours of Ethernet for different VLAN's, subnets or patches depending on the network.

I like using white for voice and then blue as the base colour for Ethernet. Mixing it up with red, yellow, green, baby blue, black.....etc as needed.

I use 565B as well. I just finished punching blu/org/grn/brn pair jumpers down the right side of the block to distribute VOICE. I only have one phone line, but wanted to punch all pairs to avoid complications later.

I'll be looking for a cheap patch panel. I'll post a note in my ham club.

I wonder what the speed degradation would be, or if it would even work, if I punched ethernet on a 66B? Never been there before. Just POTS. I'll have to 'break-out' two pair and try it on a block, check speeds then compare to an uninterrupted cable.

BTW, both ADSL splitters fit in my NID, so no worries there though I would have been surprised if they didn't. Not sure what the inside of one of the U-verse boxes looks like. Maybe the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back