2013 Ford Focus ST 5w30 Motorcraft Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got my first report ..AND it does not look good for Motorcraft oil ....its a full synthetic oil changed it to Castrol full synthetic

20qmmb5.png

Last edited:
You ran it fine but your iron is tracking up with miles. You probably won't see any improvement running what you have the same mileage, plus your still breaking in the engine so I think iron is appropriate.

Keep in mind iron is elevated but still nothing crazy enough to keep you from hurting anything.

Try a filter mag to catch some of that iron.

It looks fine to me. I don't see any issues. These are all PPM, so it's not like you have chunks floating around.
56.gif

These reports provide little information in the big picture, aside from verifying that you do not have a major fuel or coolant contamination problem. We do not know the condemnation limits for these metals for your engine family, and Blackstones universal averages are of questionable relevance.

I would proceed with the UOA reports for entertainment value, but I would always follow the manufacturer's interval or less.

I did put Castrol Edge in and will run it for 5000 miles and send it to see how my iron wears then i'll switch to Valvoline Full sync and run that close to 10k miles and see how that performs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Istvan_Buda
I did put Castrol Edge in and will run it for 5000 miles and send it to see how my iron wears then i'll switch to Valvoline Full sync and run that close to 10k miles and see how that performs

I'm confused why you would run Edge 5k and synpower 10k. You should just pick a nice round 7,500 for all synthetics. Edge is top of the line for extended drains if you buy over the counter, and synpower while a very good oil for wear, is not made for extended drains with its sodium based additive package.

If anything i would run the Synpower 5k, and the Edge 7.5-10k. Your edge will probably handle 10k miles well, but your not going to get much better on the iron wear at those kind of miles with the universal averages being 17 ppm iron per 5k run.

What does the owners manual say for the turbo OCI? 10k seems like a really big stretch. Is there a financial reason you are stretching oil to 1.0 tbn? And on a new engine? An oil change is $30, skip the UOA, and save the engine.

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
What does the owners manual say for the turbo OCI? 10k seems like a really big stretch. Is there a financial reason you are stretching oil to 1.0 tbn? And on a new engine? An oil change is $30, skip the UOA, and save the engine.

Yeah i have an oil monitor and manual says 10k miles on oil change, i like to do 10k mile oil changes easy round number

You're no where near any reasonable condemnation limits.

Without TAN it's hard to know how the TBN really was affected.

The Fe is fine; you're nearly double the miles and double the FE. No worries. The other wear metals are below average.

10k miles is a reasonable OCI until more data is developed.

Pushed it a bit IMHO, going back to 7,500 makes more sense to me, otherwise no real problems... After all, it really only means 1 "extra" OCI every 30K.

How do like your Focus ST's seats?

Cheers!

They are good .

I won't be using motorcraft oil again, it cost 12 dollars a quart ,so it would cost me 72 dollar for an oil change , just wanted to see if it can handle to 10k oci

Last edited:
I'd be pouring in M1 5W-30EP

Some people are expressing hesitation running to 10k; it makes sense to start with an oil designed for longer OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back