Yesterday at 08:55 PM
Rotella T6 in Rotax 4-tec Supercharged
by Bluestream
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Newest Members
dougout, CDot, mazarnelli, poiyt, VAzx6R
51314 Registered Users
Who's Online
24 registered (Harleydav91, DibroTeam, GrtArtiste, Blasar, Apollo14, coach477, 3 invisible), 668 Guests and 206 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51314 Members
64 Forums
219295 Topics
3460452 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3256451 - 01/22/14 03:39 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: rjundi]
Thermo1223 Offline

Loc: Easton, PA
I would love to do that I just wonder about the financial strain it might cause on the family. We barely make it now that both girls are in daycare full time.

#3256457 - 01/22/14 03:43 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Challenger71]
strat81 Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Getting your certs is what's important. Don't concern yourself with college degrees.

Getting past the first round of resume screeners is what's important. And for many/most white collar jobs, that means a bachelors degree in something.

My company hired an outsider with ~10 years of experience (at a related by somewhat different company in the industry) and a bachelors over someone who worked for the company for ~20 years in almost every position in that department and had the respect of everyone in that department but was 3 credits shy of earning her bachelors degree. No degree, no job.

It's foolish in some instances, but that's the way it is these days.

And for the young guys reading this thread, get your master's degree or learn a trade. If you can do either of those on Uncle Sam's dime, all the better. An exception might be certain credentials such as CPA or PE.

To the OP, many accredited schools offer online degree programs, not just the big names like University of Phoenix. I worked full time as an undergrad and as a graduate student. It isn't easy or fun, but it can be done.

On job ads that say "XYZ Recommended", it may as well say required, because with the garbage economy, 200 people will apply for the job and most will have the "recommended" skill/degree/credential.

#3256459 - 01/22/14 03:45 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
Thermo1223 Offline

^^^ Ya I hear that.

I am going to just have to bite the bullet and do it.

#3256462 - 01/22/14 03:47 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: bubbatime]
strat81 Offline

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
She tells me numerous story's like this. They apparently like to hire 22-24 year old college kids for management positions than someone with life experience, like a retired combat veteran, for example.

My wife's employer has bank branch presidents that are in their mid to late 20s. They get them fresh out of college and put them in their management programs. Those who are willing to move all over the place climb the ladder very quickly.

#3256464 - 01/22/14 03:49 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
GaleHawkins Offline

Loc: Murray KY USA
What the degree indicates to a point is this candidate can make a decision, follow through on that decision to the point of completion.

Having a degree and a good work record BUT be 60 years old often means the end of the road professionally.

#3256465 - 01/22/14 03:50 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
supton Offline

Loc: NH
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I would love to do that I just wonder about the financial strain it might cause on the family. We barely make it now that both girls are in daycare full time.

I'd continue the education, but at the end of the day, they pay you to be there for a reason: because you wouldn't be there for free. Sucky jobs suck, but in the end you have to decide if sticking it out for a known check vs striking it out for greener grass is worth it. For myself, with kids and whatnot I'm pretty reluctant to make big changes. Unless if I have to. Thankfully I like my job, but there are certainly times I don't. Right now I'd rather put in my hours and go home, rather than learn a new corporate culture, new coworkers, new procedures, etc.

#3256476 - 01/22/14 03:55 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
strat81 Offline

^^^ Ya I hear that.

I am going to just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Look at your state schools first as they will be the least expensive. Many are quite good, and most of them will have a better reputation than for-profit schools.

State schools will usually accept credits from community colleges with no problem, and it is usually cheaper to do that when you can, especially for basic prereqs like english, history, stats, etc.

Perhaps your employer offers tuition reimbursement?

#3256480 - 01/22/14 03:58 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
PandaBear Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
It is important to know what you want to go to college for. Since you are already doing IT, try to get a [censored] in Computer Science, it really goes a long way helping out your career if you want to move up.

Now if you are just going into general study or other liberal arts, probably college is not worth it.

#3256483 - 01/22/14 04:01 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: PandaBear]
supton Offline

Loc: NH
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It is important to know what you want to go to college for. Since you are already doing IT, try to get a [censored] in Computer Science, it really goes a long way helping out your career if you want to move up.

Now if you are just going into general study or other liberal arts, probably college is not worth it.

I had to quote this, just to find out what was getting censored. The "BachelorS" term is doing, when you abbreviate it.

#3256499 - 01/22/14 04:21 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
Tom NJ Offline

Loc: New Jersey & Virginia
The importance of a degree depends somewhat on corporate policy, and often more on who is doing the resume screening. I hired may people with no regard for their education, including for six figure management positions. I was always much more concerned with their experience, enthusiasm, spirit, and work ethic. You can train skills, but you can't train attitude, and I had no time for "down-lookers". I also fired more degreed people than I did non-degreed.

Don't let their listed requirements deter you - send your resume anyway. Just make sure your resume clearly shows your enthusiasm and highlights your experience - make it stand out, and list your education near the bottom. The worse they can do is throw it away.

BTW, I retired early as a VP with just a HS degree.

Tom NJ

#3256504 - 01/22/14 04:23 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
Quest Offline

Loc: beaver land EH?
In my field of expertise: the more advanced the certifications (on IT side) the more likely to get past the initial screeners and ended up doing face-to-face interviews.

We recently had a few interviews for an intermediate position: the prospects came with glorious (absolutely glorious, makes you wonder why he/she is over-qualified for our position...) resume and over-qualified certifications for the relevant field...and there it was on resume saying that he/she had worked in major national companies in US during the past 8yrs or so.....but it wasn't until we did the in-person interview that we instantly realised such person has communication difficulties...can't even convey simple technical messages across to us...

interview anxiety, perhaps? but in our field we not only have to know our stuff well, but also need to be able to write reports, verbally communicates with other stakeholders about suggestions, issues, etc.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Q.

#3256633 - 01/22/14 07:01 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
rjundi Offline

Loc: New England

That makes it quite rough. Some programs can be done while you work. I had a [censored] but did a Computer Science degree in the early days of e-learning remotely honestly while I worked a boring technical job that paid okay. Somehow I was getting my 8hrs paid work in 4hrs so I could do my school work the other 3-4 hrs via a telnet for programming homework sitting in my cubical.

#3256669 - 01/22/14 07:28 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
Thermo1223 Offline

Employer does not offer tuition reimbursement.

They would like to not offer health insurance if they could. Thankfully my wife's insurance keeps us out of that constant fear of getting "really" sick.

They do not offer a 401k as well.

I am just going to apply and see what I get, as was said the worst they could do is throw it away.

#3256728 - 01/22/14 08:11 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Thermo1223]
Rick in PA Offline

Loc: Southeastern, PA
Have a portfolio of your work for any interviews. I'm not sure what an IT guy could use, printouts, reports generated, screenshots, etc. Something showing accomplishments that you can slap on the table and talk about enthusiastically.

We interviewed a guy years ago for an engineering position. He had a bunch of molded parts that led to an interesting conversation and we hired him.

#3256787 - 01/22/14 08:48 PM Re: Resume's and no college education... [Re: Rick in PA]
Quest Offline

Loc: beaver land EH?
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Have a portfolio of your work for any interviews. I'm not sure what an IT guy could use, printouts, reports generated, screenshots, etc. Something showing accomplishments that you can slap on the table and talk about enthusiastically.

We interviewed a guy years ago for an engineering position. He had a bunch of molded parts that led to an interesting conversation and we hired him.

Oh, we test our candidates with scenarios, mock (set up in labs) with routers and gears, with a design (question put on whiteboard) and ask our candidates to implement (and why).... grueling tests and while we do not expect perfect scores out of our candidates, we do evaluate them based on their reasonings, and in the case of implementation, we can test how well they know their stuff.

Experience helps a lot in this case, for we have candidates that possess excellent certifications (almost to the point of wondering if they hired someone to perform the cert exams on behalf of them to achieve such results), but failed miserably during the interviews...

and some has terrible EQ.
Q.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >