cleaner better for duration oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
my daughter has a Lincoln and it requires a 5 W 20 oil weight nothing else .
my Nissan pathfinder require 5 W 30 -10 W 40 oil . weight

when I do an oil change on my daughters Lincoln you can see the timing chain inside the oil fill hole and its pristine clean - now on my pathfinder the parts inside the oil fill hole look darkened used like a 57 Chevy would look like ,so if I used the 5 W 20 oil in my pathfinder would it be a cleaner engine . both use the same name oil and filters-Castrol oil
thanks for an answer

Originally Posted By: rhondas
my daughter has a Lincoln and it requires a 5 W 20 oil weight nothing else .
my Nissan pathfinder require 5 W 30 -10 W 40 oil . weight

when I do an oil change on my daughters Lincoln you can see the timing chain inside the oil fill hole and its pristine clean - now on my pathfinder the parts inside the oil fill hole look darkened used like a 57 Chevy would look like ,so if I used the 5 W 20 oil in my pathfinder would it be a cleaner engine . both use the same name oil and filters-Castrol oil
thanks for an answer

Whatever is going on, it has nothing at all to do with the viscosity of the oil.

Are you using full synth, semi, blend or mineral?

Is it possible you are using mineral and your daughters car uses full synth?

I have used mainly full synth oils for the last few years.

Used synth blend once, Maxlife.

And have used semi synth as a minimum since 03/04.

Maybe i am wasting money.

But i have never had any oil related or sludge.

What kind of oci have been doing in the Pathfinder?

I do 5k in mine, usually between 6-8 months on average.

But mine is diesel so not like for like.

But is heading steadily to 120k miles with no issues so far.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Castrol - Thats your problem, try Pennzoil. Castrol has notoriously weak additive packages compared to most others..

http://www.pqiamerica.com/CastrolGTX.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Pennzoil.htm

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

I disagree. The problem with this statement is you are using a VOA which does not tell the whole story. Especially since the formula you linked for GTX is no longer the formula for the current version. Also edge had one of the highest starting TBNs. Not to mention the formula for GTX you linked was virtually identical to VWB.

Give us some more info:

Year,miles,and oci length on both cars.

Type of Castrol you and your daughter are using.

Type of driving both cars are subjected to.

Do not use a 20 weight oil in your Nissan. Stick with a 30-40 weight. My Nissan requires a 10W30-20W50 at 3k,3 month oci`s via fsm. What does Nissan say about yours?

You will decrease the life of the timing chain with a XW20 oil on a Nissan VQ engine. That is straight from Nissan.

Switch both to Pennzoil Platinum and keep the factory recommended weights. You will notice the engines get cleaner over time.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Castrol - Thats your problem, try Pennzoil. Castrol has notoriously weak additive packages compared to most others..

http://www.pqiamerica.com/CastrolGTX.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Pennzoil.htm

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

I disagree. The problem with this statement is you are using a VOA which does not tell the whole story. Especially since the formula you linked for GTX is no longer the formula for the current version. Also edge had one of the highest starting TBNs. Not to mention the formula for GTX you linked was virtually identical to VWB.
Agree, You cant look at a VOA and tell which oil is better for scavenging and detergency action unless its been misformulated - this is NOT 1980 oil chemistry. In fact certain and MORE metallic ( spectroscopically reportable/ visible AW compounds can lead to MORE piston deposits reportable in situ engine deposit ranking tests. E.G.: MolyDithiocarbamate

Memphis might just be flaming a bit as bitog'ers can get riled so easily
smile.gif

Last edited:
No in not flaming, seriously think Castrol GTX is the bottom of the barrel for conventional name brands. I like edge just not GTX. Not a huge fan of VWB either.

No in not flaming, seriously think Castrol GTX is the bottom of the barrel for conventional name brands. I like edge just not GTX. Not a huge fan of VWB either.

Then you'd be interested to know that GTX now has a new additive package that does not use sodium and has over 2000ppm CA on par with others. It meets SN and most basic manufacturer specs... its not "that bad".

I've never been a GTX or VWB fan due to the low CA and high NA content but they produce some of the best looking UOA out there. Curious to see how this new GTX does.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Then you'd be interested to know that GTX now has a new additive package that does not use sodium and has over 2000ppm CA on par with others. It meets SN and most basic manufacturer specs... its not "that bad".

I've never been a GTX or VWB fan due to the low CA and high NA content but they produce some of the best looking UOA out there. Curious to see how this new GTX does.

I've noticed the same thing volk. Yeah castrol may not look great on paper however a voa doesn't tell the whole story.
And the castrol syn's used oil analysis that have been posted recently looked absolutely stellar on iirc 12000 mile or 14000 mile interval or something like that.
Castrol makes some stellar products no matter what they look like on paper.
I don't use gtx so I cannot comment on it but I have used castrol's 5w-20 syn and ran it for 10000 without complain nor any obvious change in running condition.
I got it on rollback of course. I'd use it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back