How much better is Shell gas than Exxon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what gas I put in my old and probably deceased 67 Beetle , it still took about 30 seconds to reach 60 mph and that was if I left the wife I use to have standing at the gas station,,,of course I always went back to get her,,,why?? I don't really know....

Last edited:
Even knowing that almost all name brands gas are similar I still prefer Chevron more than any other, if they are few pennies more I will fill up there, if they are more than 10 cents more then I will fill up at Shell, Mobil, 76, USA gas ...

In my area Shell is usually less than others by about 2-10 cents a gallon, Chevron is the most expensive more than 10-20 cents more than USA gas.

Having hauled gas and diesel up until a few years ago, the gas at every station in a particular area is getting their fuel from the same terminal locations. And those terminal locations are getting their fuel from the same refinery, though the refineries will play a round robin kind of thing once in a while.

It was hit upon correctly, that gas is the same, only the additives may be different. When I would load a tanker, I selected who was getting the gas. The system would dose the gas as it was loaded with the additives that the customer wanted. Now, to that end, all the easily recognized name brands are getting just about the very same gasoline and additives. The only differences are between them and the regional convenience store kind of gas stations, which will only request a very basic, minimal additive supplement.

Just go with the best price you can get your fuel for. Forget the silly nonsense about who has the best gas. It is true that maybe the load the Chevron got down the street got yesterday was from a different refinery, since the terminal may have switched suppliers and the load the BP down the street is different today because of that switch. It jumps back and forth all the time.

Brand loyalty is really something. But a simple look behind the scenes can really be an eye opener. But some will continue to where blinders and claim one brand is better than the other. They just know!

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Just go with the best price you can get your fuel for. Forget the silly nonsense about who has the best gas. It is true that maybe the load the Chevron got down the street got yesterday was from a different refinery, since the terminal may have switched suppliers and the load the BP down the street is different today because of that switch. It jumps back and forth all the time.

Or, when you have Petro-Canadas up here that prefer to temporarily close a station rather than buy their gas from someone else.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Or, when you have Petro-Canadas up here that prefer to temporarily close a station rather than buy their gas from someone else.

That sounds awfully Quebec-esque Garak
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: taurus_sable
I usually use Shell 93 only. But I can find Exxon 93 for $0.15/gal cheaper than Shell in my area. Is it worth the switch?

Assuming your vehicle recommends 87, use that and you'll save FAR more money than worrying about competing brands...

Me I'll use Shell and won't go near a Exxon station... All that stems from a 5.0 Mustang I owned that had a unexplainable buck/surge that turned out to be Exxon gas... Now this was in 1996 and I've bought their gas exactly twice since then, only when I was low and not sure where the next station may be... The 5.0 stang??? Sold it in '97...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That sounds awfully Quebec-esque Garak
wink.gif

Now that you mention it, you're right. I believe it was a couple months back when they had a supply problem here. Shockingly, instead of using that as an excuse to raise the price, they left that alone. They did state that they wouldn't buy fuel from anyone else unless absolutely necessary, and just switched the pumps off at the south Albert Street locations. It only lasted a few days.

Having hauled gas and diesel up until a few years ago, the gas at every station in a particular area is getting their fuel from the same terminal locations. And those terminal locations are getting their fuel from the same refinery, though the refineries will play a round robin kind of thing once in a while.

It was hit upon correctly, that gas is the same, only the additives may be different. When I would load a tanker, I selected who was getting the gas. The system would dose the gas as it was loaded with the additives that the customer wanted. Now, to that end, all the easily recognized name brands are getting just about the very same gasoline and additives. The only differences are between them and the regional convenience store kind of gas stations, which will only request a very basic, minimal additive supplement.

Brand loyalty is really something. But a simple look behind the scenes can really be an eye opener. But some will continue to where blinders and claim one brand is better than the other. They just know!

Thanks for the insider info. Shell's gas is nitrogen enriched, in which step does Shell do that? after the gas is loaded to the gas station tanks?

Top tier for my Honda. Exxon,Shell,run fine. Chevron,with techron,seems to get,slightly,better mpg.

Thanks for the insider info. Shell's gas is nitrogen enriched, in which step does Shell do that? after the gas is loaded to the gas station tanks?

It's a nitrogen-based detergent (as is Techron), not nitrogen gas, which is added at the depot with the rest of the additive package.

I generally use either BP or Shell, as they are the most prevalent Top Tier fuels in my area. I can't tell a difference between the two.

I usually use Shell 93 only. But I can find Exxon 93 for $0.15/gal cheaper than Shell in my area. Is it worth the switch?

We don't have Exxon fuel here however our esso brand is the imperial oil and Exxon equivalent.
From experience I've tried many different fuels and in my vehicles I never really noticed any difference however my Harley is a different story.
It's got an S&S big bore kit,cams,port work on the heads and they were milled for compression(and to flatten them perfectly)dyno tune etc,etc.
My bike is very picky when it comes to fuel. My bike runs great on shell 91 v-power,co-op 91 octane and petro-Canada 91 octane.
The husky/Mohawk 92-94 octane stuff is hit and miss,I think its dependent on how old the fuel is. My bike also looses 5mpg with Mohawk/husky fuel so I don't bother with it anymore.
My bike pings audibly with esso 91,fasgas 91 and basically every station other than the 3 I mentioned above.
Only my bike pings though,my vehicles run fine on any of the above fuels however I use my bike as the standard and if the fuel is no good in it,then I steer clear of the station/brand altogether.
I suggest trying out both stations and run 3 tanks of each brand and track mileage. Then go with the one that gave the best results.
15 cents a gallon isn't a lot of money in the long run however it is better to have in your pocket than an oil companies.

1. Note: Only Shell's premium grade has the advertised (V-Power) additive.

2. Infinitely so (and even more so with Chevron which was the only brand chosen by all 3 major U.S. automakers to use in their emissions testing):

2.1. Despite: a) being the highest revenue co. (of any industry) in the world and making profits hand over fist almost every year for decades, b) similarly priced and name brand Chevron (in all grades) and Shell (in premium) having had advertised additives for decades and c) both those brands and even several generic brands voluntarily meeting the Top Tier standard for over a decade, it took Exxon until a few years ago, coincidentally after their numerous stations literally got replaced with equally numerous Chevron stations in their own home world HQ of DFW, that they finally started both: a) advertising their additive and b) meeting Top Tier standard.

2.2. The entire payout for the Exxon Valdez spill (which they've continued fighting decades later when some of the claimants have already died) even after being reduced to ~1/10 in 2008 by USSC (to $508 mil) would only be a fraction* of their annual profits!?! "fraction" as in $566 mil. (adj. for inflation) ~= 7.2% of their annual 2016 Net Income of $7.84 bil.

2.3. They've funded climate change denial "'studies'" and organizations for decades and their CEO publicly ridiculed the widely-accepted climate change science.

2.4. As recently as a few years ago, while the other name brand and similarly large co., Chevron, touted clean energy initiatives on their home page, with Exxon's website, it was crickets, crickets, ...

Exxon is too smug and evil to deserve your business no matter what they do!

Yep - these are the exact two brands I use in all vehicles - I see or feel no difference in the fuels - BTW - they split an additive company - hmm ...
Please send me one jar of V-Power and one jar of Synergy and I'll post the test on YouTube ...

I alternate between Shell, Exon and other top-tier fuel. The rational being that some additive packs work better on some type of deposits, so I should get better overall cleaning and power than a one-kind-does-it-all. I think one of the car manufactures recommended this way back and it makes sense to me, so I do it. Ed

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I just fill up at the rez with nice tax free gas, my engines run fine

Not much cheaper at our reservation.
And it is (or was) 86 octane.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Given that both are blessed by the "Top Tier" Gods, I'd say they are about the same.
this. can we move on now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back