The new car almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
It's an estate sale with no warranty. I got a 25,000 bumper to bumper warranty. 2yr 25,000 miles I should say. People around here are asking 5000 for 02 ford Taurus's with 150,000 on them it's crazy. Regardless of what type of vehicle it is 6,000 for a clean low mileage car isn't a bad deal I can easily have this car for 100k+ Miles that's not bad IMO.

So did you actually buy it? Or just talk like you did? Don't convince BITOG if its the car you want, as long as you're happy with it.

Yea I got it and so far I love it been convinient and surprisingly fuel efficient. Avg about 29 mpg. I changed the plugs when I bought it to also surprisingly easy.

Need to update the sig.
smile.gif

Change your wires, the factory ones suck.

Also replace the PCV on it.

You will appreciate the car, you can yank the rea seat out in a minute and have tons of space for trasnport of bulky stuff or fold tumble them for extra room.

I would also change the trans fluid and coolant when you get a chance.

Yea I got it and so far I love it been convinient and surprisingly fuel efficient. Avg about 29 mpg. I changed the plugs when I bought it to also surprisingly easy.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
that is not an interference engine in that pt

I thought it was valve to valve contact ?instead of piston to valve contact.

Valve to valve contact??? Really??? AFAIK there is no such thing...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Yes, there is such thing. This engine can have valve to valve contact occur if the belt snaps. It's a dual overhead cam engine. One cam for the intake valves, one for the exhaust valves. Obviously under normal conditions the intake and exhaust valves open at different times and they don't interfere with each other. But if the belt snaps and the camshafts can freewheel at whatever speed, the intake and exhaust valves can be both open at the same time and smack into each other.

And yes, this occurs on this particular engine. The pistons will never hit the valves, but the valves can hit each other.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Yes, there is such thing. This engine can have valve to valve contact occur if the belt snaps. It's a dual overhead cam engine. One cam for the intake valves, one for the exhaust valves. Obviously under normal conditions the intake and exhaust valves open at different times and they don't interfere with each other. But if the belt snaps and the camshafts can freewheel at whatever speed, the intake and exhaust valves can be both open at the same time and smack into each other.

And yes, this occurs on this particular engine. The pistons will never hit the valves, but the valves can hit each other.

Thanks...

The marble rolling around in my head was telling it could be possible but since I don't buy such vehicles, I've never encountered this problem...

Yes, if the belt snaps at high rpm the valves can contact each other but not the pistons.

seems like a decent deal.

might check out chevy HHR. similar looking (ugly) so they sell cheap.. even really new ones.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

And you are then VERY unhappy, yes?

In a non-interference engine, overhead valves can hit each other when the timing belt breaks if certain conditions exists (but it happens rarely) but cannot hit the piston tops.

This is straight from the pt cruiser forum and my instructor is a former chrysler tech and that's what he told me as well. It is possible for it to smack valves.

Good for you. The 2.4 is a great engine when properly maintained. My friends mom had the turbo version. It was a fun little car.
Great on fuel and the kids can get in and out easy enough.
I bought my charger for my kids. I wanted a DVD player,a big enough back seat and leg room that is adequate as they grow into adults and I had to have leather,so much easier to clean.
Would it hurt if I told you I get from 26-30mpg on the highway,with a hemi,and city driving may burn a bit more fuel but its way more fun too.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Good for you. The 2.4 is a great engine when properly maintained. My friends mom had the turbo version. It was a fun little car.
Great on fuel and the kids can get in and out easy enough.
I bought my charger for my kids. I wanted a DVD player,a big enough back seat and leg room that is adequate as they grow into adults and I had to have leather,so much easier to clean.
Would it hurt if I told you I get from 26-30mpg on the highway,with a hemi,and city driving may burn a bit more fuel but its way more fun too.

No because its apples and oranges. The hemi hardly works to pull that car around. Also I would guess you are the minority getting that kind of gas mileage with a hemi most people probably drive them harder. I know I would.
The pt is kinda surprising. In just cruising down the highway and I look down a and it says I'm doing 90 it felt like 65-70. I honestly didn't see myself liking this car all that much but I got to say I really do like it. It's easy to get in and out its comfortable.

The simple fact is no one can drive that Hemi too hard for long. They will die in a high speed crash or get too many tickets!!

I have found PT's to have just enough Neon in them to be good cars, despite the polarizing looks of them IMO...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The simple fact is no one can drive that Hemi too hard for long. They will die in a high speed crash or get too many tickets!!

I have found PT's to have just enough Neon in them to be good cars, despite the polarizing looks of them IMO...

I don't mind the look I think the black paint makes it look good. Reminds me of an old moonshine runner car or something.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I don't mind the look I think the black paint makes it look good. Reminds me of an old moonshine runner car or something.

A GREAT observation. Thanks for the chuckle!!

Many folks who I know that have one love them, they are economical and inexpensive to operate and repair.

Off topic...........now assisting my adult daughter to find a good used car in the $4,000 - $6,000 dollar range, Ram man's other post about used car prices is spot on. In Michigan, people are wanting $5,000+ on 10 year+ Corolla's with over 150,000 miles. There are very few available and lesser ones often have "stories"....salvage title, et..

Best of luck with the PT Cruiser. My 2.4's in my Caravans did very well. The spark plug well O-rings tend to start leaking oil around 120K or so, but that is a cheap easy fix. They had a spark plug number change to avoid cold fouling sometime around 2004....there's a TSB for that. Keep the tranny well maintained. They claim to have remedied most of the problems by 2002 or so. Drive it easy. I also read that the PT is hard on plug wires due to heat degradation, but that might only be the turbo models.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Off topic...........now assisting my adult daughter to find a good used car in the $4,000 - $6,000 dollar range, Ram man's other post about used car prices is spot on. In Michigan, people are wanting $5,000+ on 10 year+ Corolla's with over 150,000 miles. There are very few available and lesser ones often have "stories"....salvage title, et..

Best of luck with the PT Cruiser. My 2.4's in my Caravans did very well. The spark plug well O-rings tend to start leaking oil around 120K or so, but that is a cheap easy fix. They had a spark plug number change to avoid cold fouling sometime around 2004....there's a TSB for that. Keep the tranny well maintained. They claim to have remedied most of the problems by 2002 or so. Drive it easy. I also read that the PT is hard on plug wires due to heat degradation, but that might only be the turbo models.

look for a pt or hhr not everyone wants one so they are better deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back