Mobil 1 and Amsoil Oil Analysis Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ok to look at them independently. However, you shouldn't compare the Amsoil to the Mobil 1 results.

The Mobil 1 results had most of the engines at approx. 10,000 miles when the test began.

The engines had approx. 30,000 miles when the Amsoil test began.

There is more wear in the Mobil 1 engines because at 10,000 miles, you're still going to see some break in wear during that next oil change.

Pretty interesting. I added up the amount of top-up oil on the 18,000 mile Mobil 1 run-- 6 1/2 quarts! More than the initial fill.

The Amsoil top up was 4 1/2 quarts, but it was only 14K miles.

Pretty much like two fills of oil total.

They concluded that maybe with a high bypass oil filter and frequent filter changes they could run indefinitely.

I can see this with really large engines that require several gallons of oil, but mine only holds 5 quarts.

They sure spent a lot of money on UOA, just for this test, but even one UOA costs about the same as a fresh fill for my car.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
It's ok to look at them independently. However, you shouldn't compare the Amsoil to the Mobil 1 results.

The Mobil 1 results had most of the engines at approx. 10,000 miles when the test began.

The engines had approx. 30,000 miles when the Amsoil test began.

There is more wear in the Mobil 1 engines because at 10,000 miles, you're still going to see some break in wear during that next oil change.

That's an interesting tidbit of information, if its true its a pretty smart move too. I take all these tests and studies I read with a grain of salt. This is a test I haven't read yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back