CHF 11S or 202 in GM R&P system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to run synthetic PSF in my Envoy and don't have much choice in my neck of the woods. I'm wondering how compatible Pentosin's CHF 11S or 202 fluid would be with my rack and pinion set up? Thanks!

What is spec'd for that vehicle? CHF11S and the newer 202 are general-purpose hydrualic fluids, and are very stout.

Originally Posted By: dparm
What is spec'd for that vehicle? CHF11S and the newer 202 are general-purpose hydrualic fluids, and are very stout.

And pricey 2! Get what you pay for. I recently did a power steering flush and reservoir swap (filter in-bedded) with CHF11S.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

And pricey 2! Get what you pay for. I recently did a power steering flush and reservoir swap (filter in-bedded) with CHF11S.

Yeah, but it's a great fluid. You can get it at Pep Boys, O'Reilly, etc with coupons.

Yeah, but it's a great fluid. You can get it at Pep Boys, O'Reilly, etc with coupons.

I didn't notice it around me...I had to go Amazon route. I'l keep this in mind next time. Thanks for the heads up.

NAPA as well.

I thought that the 11s was the better/newer/updated fluid.

It has better specs on paper according to their site's PDSes on both??
confused2.gif

BTW; I also would like to know if it is compatible/usable in a DOMESTIC GM (vs. euro Opel/Vauxhall) power steering system (seal compatibility/etc.).

The unit is spec'd for GM Power Steering Fluid, and the part number listed in the manual is 89021184.

I won't run ATF in a modern GM steering system. After researching this quite a bit, it was actually on BITOG that I found out GM's PSF is a mineral fluid with a boron and phosphorous additives.

The last time I flushed out the system in February '13, and I've put about ~16,250 miles on it since. The steering started feeling a bit numb, so I thought I might as well change the fluid. When I disconnected the return hose going to the cooler and saw the stuff coming out, I wasn't happy to say the least. I went through 2 quart bottles of GM's PSF, but I'm going to be repeating it later on today to flush out the old stuff.

Given the condition of the fluid, I would like to switch to synthetic. I have little to no choice of product for an alternative, however. You get the OE fluids, like Honda's and GM's and so forth, but nothing in the aftermarket.

Pentosin and Febi-Bilstein have CHF 11S, 202 and 7.1 available in German parts stores and last I checked, 11S was a superior fluid to 202. I haven't looked into 7.1 though.

Alright, so I took the plunge and made the switch. Went through 3 liters - 2 to flush and 1 to fill.

Nothing much to write home about, other than the steering feels slightly firmer. Feels like there's less “drag” on the engine, but that could just be my imagination. Let's see how it holds up.

I believe the 202 is the newer stuff. 7.1 should be older, mineral based. The Pentosin site (or Beck Arnley site, which has a bunch of Pentosin information) might have some idea as to compatibility.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
and last I checked, 11S was a superior fluid to 202.

^^^THIS is what I thought as well, at least according to their own spec sheets (and looking at those specs it HAS TO BE a full synthetic
wink.gif
).
confused2.gif

My local semi-indie store in Lambertville has this stuff (the 11S) right on the shelf for $21.35

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
CHF 202 is PAO/HC
CHF 11S is PAO

OK, THANKS!
thumbsup2.gif

The 11S says synthetic right on the can, whereas the 202 does not mention synthetic at all (but given it's specs, it would have to be at least a semi-syn, as you've stated
wink.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back