Mitchell labor guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sisters 02 Liberty 3.7L started acting up , threw a CEL. I live over 200 miles away so fixing whatever it was wasnt possible . I had her check the codes via the key method and came up with a P0303 . I suspected a bad coil , so sent her to my parents mechanic. I have never had a problem with him and thought he was fair and honest. I was shocked when she calls me to say the bill was $375 to replace a single coil , and change the plugs. I dont have access to my labor guides but this seems pretty steep. Changing plugs and a coil on a 3.7L is a breeze . Area labor rate is around 100-120 per hour. I hate to think of my little sister being taken advantage of . If anybody could give me the labor times for this , would greatly appreciate it. Thanks BITOG!!

I don't have experience with that engine but I've changed coils on my F150 and it takes about 5 minutes for one, and about another hour for spark plugs. If you figure on the high end at $120 for labor and a coil ($32 at Autozone) and say $3 each for plugs, you're still only at around $170. They are defiantly pulling extra money from somewhere, where I dont know. I hate to say it, but I think she might have gotten taken a little.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Im also assuming a $120 diagnostic fee as well . Parts cost for him were most likely at $20 for the coil and $1.70 per plug. Dont see where this $375 is coming from??

the labor guide I'm looking at isn't mitchell, it's from Wrenchhead.

V6 One,Coil on Plug Includes: Test coil. C 0.50
V6 All,Coil on Plug Includes: Test coil. C 0.90
SPARK PLUGS- REMOVE & REPLACE
Add V6 C 1.10

so the skill level goes A to C, C being more difficult.

above is to R&R coil pack AND test for 1 and for all.
then adding 1.1 hours if you swap 6 plugs as well.
I'll bet the mechanic charged 2 hours total time, and maybe a diagnostic fee for the CEL light.
then you have parts, 6 plugs and 1 coil pack.
I'd say $55 for the coil pack and $5 each for the plugs (using MFGR list pricing).

thats the one with the COP(s) right?

6 per car?

aftermarket price is 20-44$

so probably 65$ retail + 6plugs at 5-10$ if double platinum and 2 hours labor.

shop fee, tax
a diagnostic fee but possibly that's including in the labor to diagnose a bad COP.

Thats the kind of repair I do.

look up codes with 10$ bluetooth obdII reader.. google on internet. buy parts boom. save 250$

I checked on the parts costs from Carquest and LIST on the coil is $38.87, OE NGK plugs LIST $5.00 each and we would have charged two hours total with diagnostic and parts instahled with test drive of 3 miles min. so I figure with tax and shop charge tops of rounding out $285.00 would be normal. The coil is fairly cheap as are the plugs. The only change would be if they upgraded the plugs but that should add tops of about 5 to 6 per plug if they really did do that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thax
My sisters 02 Liberty 3.7L started acting up , threw a CEL. I live over 200 miles away so fixing whatever it was wasnt possible . I had her check the codes via the key method and came up with a P0303 . I suspected a bad coil , so sent her to my parents mechanic. I have never had a problem with him and thought he was fair and honest. I was shocked when she calls me to say the bill was $375 to replace a single coil , and change the plugs. I dont have access to my labor guides but this seems pretty steep. Changing plugs and a coil on a 3.7L is a breeze . Area labor rate is around 100-120 per hour. I hate to think of my little sister being taken advantage of . If anybody could give me the labor times for this , would greatly appreciate it. Thanks BITOG!!

I would call the mechanic yourself if you want to get that involved.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
I checked on the parts costs from Carquest and LIST on the coil is $38.87, OE NGK plugs LIST $5.00 each and we would have charged two hours total with diagnostic and parts instahled with test drive of 3 miles min. so I figure with tax and shop charge tops of rounding out $285.00 would be normal. The coil is fairly cheap as are the plugs. The only change would be if they upgraded the plugs but that should add tops of about 5 to 6 per plug if they really did do that.

Thanks she is in Fairfax so im upset you being in Mclean would charge $285 , if your at a shop in the area PM and ill send you my folks biz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back