Neighbor's loud RX350

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor got a new RX350 and was showing it to me the other day. We did a cold start in the morning and I was surprised at how loud the engine was. The temp. was in the low 30s and I know the engine is loud first thing in the morning, but still. We took it for a spin and the engine ultimately quieted down; I didn't expect a Lexus to be like this. I don't think my 12 yr old Accord is even that loud in the morning and Honda's are known to be noisy when cold.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
If it's direct injection they are louder and newer toyota v6's are on the noisy side any way.

+1. My focus, and the traverse are both DI and are pretty noisy when cold. A lot of it has to do with the Fuel injectors, and a lot also has to do with the ignition and valve timing when cold. Modern engines are programmed to severely retard the timing, to get EGT up, to help "light off" the catalytic converters quicker. Most newer engines also use much lighter, thinner exhaust manifolds, which make this much more noticeable audibly.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
My neighbor got a new RX350 and was showing it to me the other day. We did a cold start in the morning and I was surprised at how loud the engine was. The temp. was in the low 30s and I know the engine is loud first thing in the morning, but still. We took it for a spin and the engine ultimately quieted down; I didn't expect a Lexus to be like this. I don't think my 12 yr old Accord is even that loud in the morning and Honda's are known to be noisy when cold.

x a dozen! Most DI vehicles I have heard are quite noisy, especially when first started.

Our neighbor has a beautiful new blue BMW with the 2 liter 4 banger, and it sounds just like a diesel when you first crank it up!

My sister in law got a new RX350 - it makes a lot of noise at idle. My brother's new 328i sounds like a diesel.

I like it, it makes my piston slap more acceptable...

The comment about thinner exhaust manifolds is definitely a valid one. When I put headers on the Jeep, it gained a definite tick to the exhaust note, even after I made sure the header flanges were sealing properly. The thick cast iron manifolds were enough to block a lot of the ticking type noise on the exhaust pulses while the thinner walled headers let more of it escape.

Toyota's GR-series V-6 has always sounded like it was lubricated by marbles, at least to me. I've never cared for the way it sounds inside or outside the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back