2012 Cruze Factory Fill Dexron VI 10,333 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from our 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4 Turbo. I decided to drain out what I could and refill which was exactly 4qts. It amazed me at the color of the fluid being so dark at only 10k miles, but from what I have been reading it is an anticorrosive additive that GM put in the FF fluid. At least that is what I'm reading from the Cruze forum. Anyway I'm going to drain out and refill a few more times here in the next couple of weeks to get some fresh fluid back in there and get some of the wear metals out. Below is what BlackStone wrote.

Code:
When it comes to the factory fill, we're not surprised by higher wear metals and silicon. Just as an engine goes

through a wear-in process, a transmission does as well and that's probably why we found aluminum reading much

higher than averages. It could be from the torque converter, oil pump, or other aluminum parts wearing in. We should

see aluminum and other wear-in material wash out with each oil change, so we'll look for that next time. The TAN was

fine at 1.4, showing little acidity. Universal averages are based on ~25,000 miles, so try that next.

OIL Factory fill Dexron VI

MILES IN USE 10,333

MILES 10,333

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/22/13 Universal avergs

ALUMINUM 43 14

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 41 133

COPPER 89 102

LEAD 2 82

TIN 5 4

MOLYBDENUM 1 1

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 16 4

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 4 7

BORON 47 76

SILICON 9 23

SODIUM 9 14

CALCIUM 67 126

MAGNESIUM 0 9

PHOSPHORUS 165 268

ZINC 12 70

BARIUM 26 5

SUS VIS 210ºF 45.1 42-45

cSt @ 212ºF 5.75 4.8-7.9

FLASHPOINT ºF 430 >355

Fuel%

Antifreeze% 0

Water% 0
INSOLUBLES TR
TAN 1.4

Last edited by a moderator:
TBN was blank, I should have taken the 0 out. Sorry. This is the factory fill so I would guess a synthetic blend fluid.

I just D&R'd the FF ATF in my 2011 Cruze 1.4T at 24K.
I did it cold and was able to drain 4 qts. 12 ounces.
Some on the Cruze forum say you can't over/under fill these 6T40's by even a few ounces without causing problems.
So far so good on mine.

Why would GM start using 'anti-corrosion' additives after not doing so since inventing the 'Hydramatic'. The drained fluid was dark but still had a reddish tint and didn't smell burned.

A/T's are one thing GM seems to do right....why mess with it?

Quote:
but from what I have been reading it is an anticorrosive additive that GM put in the FF fluid.

All ATF's have metal deactivators and anticorrosion additives.

The tranny is small with less fluid than other trannies so fluid will oxidize sooner.

I recommend you do drain and refills every 30k with a good DexronVI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back