Transmission drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've decided to do a tranny pan drain on the Camry. It's an automatic and has a drain plug. I've got 3 quarts of Maxlife ATF. How much do you think will drain out of the pan? I'll drain every couple months.

I would get 6 quarts if you are going to do it that often. We have GM and I have never got more than 6-7 quarts out of one from the pan. I like to chance the old out and add the new without them mixing so do the Bucket Flush by tapping in to the radiator cooler return line but your method every few months sounds like a good plan.

How much will drain out will depend on how long you let it set and how much higher the front tires are than the rears due to the torque converter holds a lot of ATF and takes time to drain down as much as possible.

Typicaly those Camry's tranny pans didn't hold a lot of ATF. Often after a drain, you'd only get 2.5-3.0 qt of ATF...That's all!

In some of those trannys, the differential is above the tranny and can also be drained. But, the diff is also supplied by the tranny so, drain both if possible, and just refill through the tranny dipstick.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back