friction free 3000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody had any experience with this? Sounds like snake oil to me ...but I bought a 2005 Chevy Avalanche that the previous owner used it in it since new...162,000 miles and it purrs like a kitten. What do you guys think? Thanks

Yup, snake oil. Any modern API certified oil will have all the additives an engine needs.

It really just sounds like hexagonal boron nitride that has been around for years from first rate companies like Liqui Moly. We have it in an a 2002 Polaris 325 Magnum engine that spun a bearing when the guy blew an oil cooler line and ran it without oil in the crankcase. We pulled the connecting rod and sanded on the chewed up crank working through the jug hole and put it back together with a used rod and a new set of insert bearings.

We idled it for 11 hours but now when we get give it throttle it makes a sharp metallic sound.
smile.gif

The work space is not something we can afford to heat but when we get some 50+ temps we are going to break the engine apart and see how much ceramic bearing surface if any built up on the moving parts and filled in the gaps in like the piston skirt for example. There was a lot of stress and higher cylinder temps the first hour but after the first hour per temperature gun readings the level of friction did drop.

The fact the engine is making a lot of power and still running after 11 hours with a chewed up crankshaft where the rod connects leads me to expect hexagonal boron nitride does lower friction and does coat the microscopic gaps in all metal leading to smoother surface.

Tear down will interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-Cera-Friction-Modifier/dp/B001CZODH8

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sounds like restore, aka soft metals to plug your oil filter. Avoid unless your engine is on its last leg on compression.

That's exactly what is.

Friction Free 3000 promotion and not so slick.

Here is a video from NanoLub that better shows how hexagonal boron nitride additive now offered from some many companies works based on my hexagonal boron nitride research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEvwV269JsE

I really doubt a company like Liqui Moly would be selling it if the hexagonal boron nitride additive was snake oil nor would MB supports it use in their car engines but will have a better first hand experience when we get to tear down the engine that we got to idle for 11 hours with a very chewed up crank.

Posting something is or is not snake oil can be done by anyone with a computer and does not make either statement true or false in the real world in real time.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Better do some short ocis to get that [censored] outta there.
Some additives have thier place with neglected engines, but for the most part a man is usually better off with a good oil and reasonable oci.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
Better do some short ocis to get that [censored] outta there.
Some additives have thier place with neglected engines, but for the most part a man is usually better off with a good oil and reasonable oci.

I agree regular oil changes should fill the bill. We bought an 4.3L S10 with 524K actual miles and the engine was quite. Out of ignorance I did not slowly get a sticking valve cleaned up over time with short OCI's and it poked a piston. It was bought as a project truck but it still made me sick to loose an engine with half a million miles on it. That engine never saw a drop of synthetic but did get regular oil changes. It was a lead/chase vehicle for a long haul mobile home delivery firm.

Thanks for all the replies. I have never bought into oil additives either...however...the guy that has serviced this Avalanche is a certified ASE master tech and is really a straight up nice guy, who has owned the busiest automotive shop for 25 years in the city I live in. I am skeptical yet intrigued at the same time. He printed out all the service and repairs he has done on this Avalanche since it was new and I noticed on the oil changes on the print outs it had Friction Free treatment at every oil change. I had to google it as I had never heard of it ...so it's not like he's trying to sell the additive to me. I might continue it, as it seems at least not to have done any damage in over 162,000 plus miles. It really does idle and run smooth and quiet. Thanks

He may well be a good mechanic but most mechanics have little knowledge of lubricants and OTC additives.

Most autoshops and dealers as well simply increase their profits by putting unneeded OTC or Third Party additives in automotive components.

All you have to do is simply say, "No thanks."

Does this mechanic do any VOAs or UOAs to show you any proof these additives have any advantages over regular oil changes?

The Friction stuff from all appearances is nothing more than a Restore formula copy.

Last edited:
Thats why I stated in my OP 'sounds like snake oil to me'. I don't even know if it's OTC or not, as I stated I had to Google it as I had never even heard of it or seen it available at any auto parts stores. It seems to me to be similar to Liqui-Moly. Thanks

I've done a little more digging on this additive and it's available at Market America... which sounds like it's a pyramid - marketing scheme. IDK...

I have used friction free in my vehicles for the last fifteen years My current vehicle has 262,000 miles and
Still runs great If you look at the utube video on friction free
You can see how well this products lubricates the parts of your engines
Where normal oil breaks down at around 40 to 50 lbs of brake pressure
Friction free still lubricate at over 100lbs of break
Even after wiping the excess of the metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back