Best Rust Inhibiting Undercoating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local shop did my wife's suburu for 100 bucks. The same shop that does it sells the gallan fro about 45 bucks and the cans for 7.99.
I did my truck myself. Bought a gallon of the stuff and sprayed it all over frame/undercarriage a couple years ago. I used a rusfre undercoating gun.

RUS-5050QC.jpg

This year I sprayed a diy mix of mineral spirits, non-detergent oil and parafin wax.
When I was out west I went to a Menards store. They had spray cans of LPS 3 Premier Rust Inhibitor for about 8 bucks . That stuff seems more durable than FF. The gallons though are much more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
...(Boiled) linseed oil would probably be a better binder but I havn't tried it, since I can't get it here AFAIK...
I think they cook those ducks you see hanging in the shop windows in boiled linseed oil.
grin.gif

I think CarWell or Krown last longer than Fluid Film. You can buy CarWell in gallons. They sell a sprayer for it using compressed air. The shop also sells a hand trigger spray container. Its a stream that comes out not a wide spray.

Any of these products would be a lot better than used motor oil.

Last edited:
I tired motor oil -- once. You still have to spray it on and it dried out before winter was over.

For the past 30 years I've been using Texaco Rustproof Compound bought by the 1/4 barrel for $250. I spray it on thick. I use up to five gallons each time. It stays greasy and pliable for many years, unlike Cosmoline or other products that turn hard, delaminate, and invite poultice corrosion.

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
Originally Posted By: Ducked
...(Boiled) linseed oil would probably be a better binder but I havn't tried it, since I can't get it here AFAIK...
I think they cook those ducks you see hanging in the shop windows in boiled linseed oil.
grin.gif

Don't think they do, but they produce a [censored] of a lot of duck fat that might be useful, if a little difficult to apply.

Might try it as a motorcycle chain lube.

Canadian Defense department report very interresting but I want to make my own test.

First version:
A steel bar, few differents products and salt water

Rust Check (red)
Krown T40
Formula 3000
SprayOn 711
WD40
+

I mark steel bar in sections and spay it with products. I spray salt water on bar many time.

Now the bar is rusty every where except Formula 3000. During test, best to worst:

Formula 3000
Krown
Rust Check - WD40 (ex eaquo: big surprise)
SrpayOn

I have pictures but not able to put it on Forum.

I want to make a better test, adding washing test with water and more products (Fluid Film and Metropolitain (big player in Quebec))

Any advice for a more realistic but accelerated test?

PS Sorry for bad English

Originally Posted By: George7941
Corrosion Free 3000 seems to get good reviews from newly joined members whenever it is mentioned in a forum.

Here is another example
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=39301.20

Draw your own conclusions.

Yeah, so what? Canadian tire is pretty much the only place applying it and they do a pretty bad job, unless watched carefully. Even the best product, poorly applied, will not protect adequately when compared to something lesser, but properly applied.
It is also quite expensive at around $65 per gallon, so no wonder CT applies it so sparingly.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Corrosion Free 3000 seems to get good reviews from newly joined members whenever it is mentioned in a forum.

Here is another example

Yeah, so what? Canadian tire is pretty much the only place applying it and they do a pretty bad job, unless watched carefully. Even the best product, poorly applied, will not protect adequately when compared to something lesser, but properly applied.
It is also quite expensive at around $65 per gallon, so no wonder CT applies it so sparingly.

In Canada why not just get Krown?

Originally Posted By: italian68
I would like to stay with a homemade rust inhibitor to save money but am still open to all ideas. I'm leaning towards soybean oil or fluid film. Any suggestions are appreciated. Please lets not turn this into a discussion over what coatings are better or worse for the environment, I am well aware.

Used motor oil works and is cheap. A few years ago a member posted this:

Mineral Spirits, Canning Wax, and Motor Oil

Using a double boiler I've added the canning wax to used motor oil to give it some "body".

Obviously this is not a great idea if you park on clean concrete driveways in the summer, especially if you ever want to return to that location.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: italian68
I would like to stay with a homemade rust inhibitor to save money but am still open to all ideas. I'm leaning towards soybean oil or fluid film. Any suggestions are appreciated. Please lets not turn this into a discussion over what coatings are better or worse for the environment, I am well aware.

Used motor oil works and is cheap. A few years ago a member posted this:

Mineral Spirits, Canning Wax, and Motor Oil

Using a double boiler I've added the canning wax to used motor oil to give it some "body".

Obviously this is not a great idea if you park on clean concrete driveways in the summer, especially if you ever want to return to that location.

So you are admitting your idea pollutes the heck out of the environment!

Recycle the used motor oil properly.

Buy a gallon of a proper rust protection product and have at it.

Last edited:

Here is another example

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The glowing testimonials that pop up when Corrosion Free is mentioned on a forum is spam/self promotion.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The glowing testimonials that pop up when Corrosion Free is mentioned on a forum is spam/self promotion.

That doesn't mean the product is bad, quite contrary, it's probably the best out there right now. Also, everybody raves about Krown, but personally I'm not that impressed with the product itself. Krown has descent applicators that know more what they're doing then the kids at Canadian Tire.
That's what most people seem to miss, the application process is far more important than the product itself. I would take WD40, applied properly over Krown applied sloppily every day of the week. Would other people do it? No way, because they focus on the product itself and Krown is the bees knees these days.

Here is another example

Its fine for a company to provide tests and testimonials on their website but they should not be writing their own testimonials on forums.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So you are admitting your idea pollutes the heck out of the environment!

No.

The street in front of my home is paved with more environmentally pernicious material comprised of used motor oil, refining byproducts, and tars. And if it got on a clean concrete pavement it would stain it permanently.

I took advantage of a 2 for 1 deal Eastwood had [it ends today] and will be giving their Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust in Amber a shot in the spring. It is self healing and should work well if the coating is inspected and touched up when needeed.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I took advantage of a 2 for 1 deal Eastwood had [it ends today] and will be giving their Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust in Amber a shot in the spring. It is self healing and should work well if the coating is inspected and touched up when needeed.

Over time it does dry out a bit. It's a waxy oil, basically the same stuff as 3M 08892.

Something along the lines of WD40, spray penetrating oil, or what not will soften it back up better than another application of the anti-rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back