PYB or MS5k ? Wallyworlds many choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: datech
You know a few years back I seem to remember that there was some suspicion that Walmart had somehow acquired phony branded oil. Counterfeit bottles or something.

I was changing my oil yesterday and I noticed the Mobil 1 bottle mentions Walmart on the bottle, like they get their own special batch or something. Do they have it made to order just for Walmart?

There is absolutely no difference in the Mobil 1 (or any other oil for that matter) that you buy in Wal-Mart vs a parts store.

That is so you can't buy 5 qts at WalMart for $15 then try to return it to the parts store for $24. Now most of the parts store sell a 5.1 or 5.2 qt jug instead of 5 like WalMart does. Probably to avoid having to price match. I don't have anything to back this info up but it makes sense to me.

there is a reason why wal mart has their name on the container its so if they happen to be cheaper than say another auto parts store you cant bring it back and get a better refund... Most of the time they are cheaper at wal mart but not always.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: datech
You know a few years back I seem to remember that there was some suspicion that Walmart had somehow acquired phony branded oil. Counterfeit bottles or something.

I was changing my oil yesterday and I noticed the Mobil 1 bottle mentions Walmart on the bottle, like they get their own special batch or something. Do they have it made to order just for Walmart?

There is absolutely no difference in the Mobil 1 (or any other oil for that matter) that you buy in Wal-Mart vs a parts store.

That is so you can't buy 5 qts at WalMart for $15 then try to return it to the parts store for $24. Now most of the parts store sell a 5.1 or 5.2 qt jug instead of 5 like WalMart does. Probably to avoid having to price match. I don't have anything to back this info up but it makes sense to me.

And it's a branding move. I have seen oils with AutoZone on the label and the same oil with WalMart on the label (MaxLife NextGen). They are just finding more ways and spaces to get their name out there to get them to stick in your mind and be your first subconscious shopping choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back