The cheap windshield washer fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm south of I-80, and I've used nothing but the -20 degree blue stuff (from either W*M or Menards) for several years now.

Two things:

1) I use the -20 stuff year around.
2) I always keep it tightly capped.

No problems here with the blue. I used to buy the -35 purple stuff, but that was years back.

Is is possible that you're still seeing residual effects of the +32 stuff?

I mix mine myself, 50/50
IMG_0211_zpsb281bcac.jpg

boostjuiceGRN_zps0b0562fa.jpg

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I've never had a problem with the cheap blue stuff.

I use either the cheap blue stuff or sometimes Rain-X and I can get liquid to my windshield in the coldest of temps with either one. It was -25C recently too.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Is is possible that you're still seeing residual effects of the +32 stuff?

Doubtful -- I ran the reservoir dry before filling with the -20.

I typically use Rain-X winter in the winter and summer in the summer. It seems to do a good job and not freeze. I hate having a dirty windshield so I use the stuff quite regularly in the winter.

I have had the blue stuff do the ice up routine too. You could also try the Prestone deicer - that should help too.

The only stuff I don't like is whatever the Ford dealer was using last year - it smelled awful as it dried. Solved that by keeping the resivour full.
smile.gif

I'm still waiting for someone to do an actual scented washer fluid.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I'm still waiting for someone to do an actual scented washer fluid.

The Prestone washer fluid (summer) has a citrus scent.
bugwash.jpg

Walmart supertech windshield washer fluid is good stuff.

Cleans great, beads the water up and makes it run off the window just like rain-x.

In fact, I purchased rain-x after using supertech and I couldn't tell a difference except for color.

I use the winter blends of either Prestone or Rain-X in our cars over the winter.
These never seem to freeze and I'll even use the washers to clear frost and ice from the windshield, although I will brush off more than a trace of snow.
Lazy, I know.
You can buy either on clearance each spring for cheap.
I'm going to try adding drug store alcohol to the cheap blue stuff just to see how that works. I'm sure that I have some in the garage.

I use Rain-X all seasons. It not only melts snow/frost well, but it also puts a protective coating on the windshield that keeps rain and bugs from sticking to the windshield. In a light rain the rain runs off the windshield without using wipers!

Last edited:
I am currently using the Peak -20 blue fluid with success. It cleans great, dries well and never freezes. I get 6 gallons of it for $10 at Bee Jay's wholesale club. I am pretty sure that price makes it "cheap".

I have also had very good luck with GM Opti-kleen washer fluid but it is expensive, $3 per Gallon

My mistake was filling up with washer fluid in Florida and returning to the deathly cold embrace of Illinois. Then the fluid froze. My mistake. I guess Florida service station never have to worry about purchasing cold weather anything.

I use the orange Rain-X stuff all year long without a problem.

I've seen the Splash! stuff in Menards before, and recently saw some new jugs of it that were clear instead of purple. I've never liked the idea of coloring the fluid, even though it's mainly for leak detection purposes.

I've only used the cheap blue stuff for as long as I can remember. Just make sure to pick up the -20 degree blend in the winter and you're golden.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I've never had a problem with the cheap blue stuff.

Where does your car stay overnight?

In my driveway, this morning it was 1.

Last edited:
Bought the cheap blue stuff from AutoZone. It froze as soon as it hit the windshield, and I wasn't even moving. Looks like I will be picking up some Prestone or Rain-X.

Owners' manuals mention not to use washer fluid on a cold windshield. The windshield must be defrosted for the fluid to work.

If there is any question on the efficacy of the fluid you have in stock, put a small sample in your freezer and leave it overnight. Your freezer should be calibrated to 0°F.

Typically I use the rain-x combo driver/bug remover with good results- never had an issue with it icing up though sometimes the bug remover could be improved. Recently had some good experiences with the purple "splash" brand cleaning well but I do not like how the Preston's deicer fluid leaves streaks and smears.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Owners' manuals mention not to use washer fluid on a cold windshield. The windshield must be defrosted for the fluid to work.

That really depends. I am on travel in the Midwest with 0 F temperatures and have had no problem at all with cold windshields. I use three parts washer fluid to one part denatured alcohol. A side benefit is that it is murder on road film on the windshield.

Also, the alcohol in the blue stuff will evaporate from your bottle and from the fluid reservoir faster than the water over time and decrease its effectiveness.

Just found some slushy "Splash" brand in my garage. Don't remember where I got it. (I stash lots and lots of it from spring clearance sales.)

8% VOC, good to +22'F. Crikey! What's the point?
mad.gif

The good news is it's six degrees now at sunset and was below zero this morning. It didn't explode its container, just got slushy. Won't work, but won't break stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back