Furnace Quit Working..Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't get the blower motor to spin all day (no heat)...not even with assistance. Just for the heck of it I put the OLD chewed up belt back on and what do ya know...the motor spins and the furnace is working. The guy over at advance gave me an undersized belt. Just found out that motors under 1 hp should have a somewhat loose fitting belt. About a 1 inch depression is about the right amount of tension on a fracional motor.

Considering there's another cold spell coming your way, maybe you should bite the bullet and get an HVAC guy to fix it so your pipes don't freeze. Been there, done that. I like fixing stuff and saving money, but I've had a few fixes where penny wise pound foolish caught up with me and bit me in the $%#!

I hope the belt fixes it. There are a couple great HVAC contractors on Youtube with videos explaining how to set belt tension on those old style furnace and like you indicated, they have to be loose to the point of almost slipping without a foot pound of additional tension, especially for older motors/parts.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
maybe you should bite the bullet and get an HVAC guy to fix it

I'd be up and running if someone carried a 2 speed motor. The old one still works but needs monitoring. Yes I seen the YT vids on belt tension. from "grayfurnaceman"

Is your furnace currently configured to use the 2 speeds?

I ask because maybe that was a motor used for multiple units and they wired it different for each furnace.

My point is, are you going to utilize the 2 speed capability? Many furnaces run fine on one speed and single speed should be much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Yes I seen the YT vids on belt tension. from "grayfurnaceman"

Yup! That guy is really nice. He helped me through PMing on Youtube fix the fan limit switch on my furnace. Great guy.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Is your furnace currently configured to use the 2 speeds?

I ask because maybe that was a motor used for multiple units and they wired it different for each furnace.

My point is, are you going to utilize the 2 speed capability? Many furnaces run fine on one speed and single speed should be much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
A 2 speed motor is used when you have the A/C hooked up to the furnace.

I read that the A/C runs at a higher rpm than the furnace does. My 2 speed motor is 1725 rpm & 1140 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back