Fram Doubleguard w/ Teflon

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you feel about the use of Teflon in this filter? I am not interested in hearing about the inferiority of Fram. I see enough of it at this forum
smile.gif
I am concerned about the use of Teflon. What do you guys think?

Teflon is a no-no. It doesn't bond to metal until heated to an extremely high temp........far higher than your oil will ever see. The particles tend to clump and clog anything it can. And using teflon in an oil filter??????
freak2.gif
.......I just don't get why we would want a pre-clogged filter.
confused.gif

I agree with everyone else, this is just a marketing gimmik to enhance the image of the product. Snake oil at its finest.

It always bothers me that the local auto parts stores even carry this garbage and other crap like Z-max and Prolong oil additives...
mad.gif

NASA tests from some years back confirmed that Teflon in oil additives is a solid (not a liquid) and doesn't bond to engine surfaces as claimed. A specific physical process is used -- and required -- to bond Teflon onto items like frying pans, none of which takes place with a motor oil additive.

[ April 25, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Pure unadulterated BS. Slick-50 made a fortune off this scam and Fram wanted in on the "party".

Quaker State then bought Slick-50 after which Shell bought Quaker State. Shell is still enjoying making money off of unsuspecting Slick-50 customers.

Sickening.

John

Do you think the use of this filter could cause damage to the engine? Or is the Teflon a useless, but harmless additive?

offtopic.gif
Dupont has also stated in the past Teflon will not bond to a car's finish when added to wax, but I just saw their own brand of Teflon wax advertised on TV!

The NASA tests confirmed:

-That Teflon will not bond to engine parts.
-It does not reduce wear.
-That it does increase gas mileage to a very small extent.
-In some circumstances, it can partially constrict/clog small oil passages, believe it or not.

But as mentioned before, you're still dealing with a Fram filter. No harm in using Teflon most likely, but it's an unnecessary and unhelpful additive, and the overall construction of the orange beast is clearly inferior.

IIRC, the teflon is in the O-ring, not in the filter. Not defending Fram; have never (knowingly) used one, and never (never say never) will.

axjohn,

The teflon is in the Fram Double Guard filter and not just the gasket. This is directly from Frams' web-site:

The FRAM Double Guard oil filter does just that, and more. The Double Guard filter is the only oil filter to contain DuPont Teflon® PTFE – the same Teflon®* PTFE as found in many of the leading oil additives. So not only does the Double Guard product filter out the harmful dirt that can corrode your engine, for those consumers who would like to use a Teflon® additive, the Double Guard filter provides a way to distribute it to your engine.

* TEFLON is a registered trademark of E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Co. used under license to Honeywell.

quote:

for those consumers who would like to use a Teflon® additive, the Double Guard filter provides a way to distribute it to your engine.

Interesting how similar that wording is to the wording cigarette manufacturers use in their advertising these days. "For those who choose to smoke .... "

John

quote:

Originally posted by axjohn:
IIRC, the teflon is in the O-ring, not in the filter. Not defending Fram; have never (knowingly) used one, and never (never say never) will.

I believe your thinking of the Pure one filter which uses a PTFE treated gasket. This is not made to get into the oil, but is a more practical use for the TEFLON. The Fram filter media it self is preoiled, with a PTFE treated oil.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back