looking for a mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a mirror to replace the one that just broke on my Dad's truck. came from a 2003 GMC Sierra SLE. been looking around online and it seems like nobody has a picture of the back of the mirror, the most important aspect to me as I want a direct replacement. Rock Auto is where I usually go but their pictures or lack of are not helping me out. tried to find a GM part number on AcDelco website with no luck. included some pics to show you what it looks like. I could go Ebay I guess but some sellers do not accept returns if it does not fit.hate to go to a junkyard as you never know what you are going to get . looking at the manufacturer and numbers on the back did not yield any results for me yet.

Stoystown junk yard is HUGE. They have many acres of vehicles, are well organized, and they ship parts via UPS. They have a website. Check them out they are in Pennsylvania, if they don't have the part no one does.

However some junk yards will not sell a mirror because they get more for a door, and doors sell well to auto body shops.

thanks for the advice guys. checked them both out . was really looking for the mirror glass. they run about 1/3 the price of the entire mirror but I need the exact match. the back of the mirror glass did not help me much

Have you tried a local glass house? I took mine in and they replaced the glass and had it back to me in a day. Cost was nominal.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Have you tried a local glass house? I took mine in and they replaced the glass and had it back to me in a day. Cost was nominal.

Smoky

Certainly worth a try. I bought a replacement mirror from RockAuto for my Suburban and it would vibrate while driving more than the factory one on the other side did. I wished I could have replaced only the glass, but the mirror housing was damaged.

I would only replace the glass but I would be needing a new eventually anyhow. not sure what happened to the mirror but my Dad says it falls out of the housing once in a while when you shut the drivers door.this is how the mirror broke on me. it fell out of the housing and I put it back in the other morning,. temps were cold outside go the glass cracked when I put the mirror back in. I did find what looked to be the exact replacement on Ebay last night ( with rear pictures it looks exactly the same ) going to call the place and see if I can get it here a little quicker.

It sounds like the housing itself is damaged. If you can't find one at a junkyard that has all of the required features, check on Amazon.

My 2001 Silverado has basic manual mirrors. The driver's mirror was hit 3-4 times because I forgot to fold it in when parking. The last time, I found the glass on the ground and shattered. I was able to reinstall it, but it wasn't worth much and inspection was coming up.

I wanted to keep the stock appearance, so I first tried the "Fit System" glass insert from Amazon. It wouldn't fit, because the mounting tab design was a little different than stock. There was a lot of "give" when I tried to push it onto the mount, and I realized the mount inside the housing was cracked.

I sent back the glass and ordered the Dorman full mirror. It was twice the price of some others advertised, but the photos seemed to show its texture matching stock. And it was half the price of a new one from GM Parts Direct.

It installed with no problems and has the right texture. It is a lot flimsier than the OEM mirror, and I don't expect it to survive the first collision. It vibrates at speed, but I don't notice that any more.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
It sounds like the housing itself is damaged. If you can't find one at a junkyard that has all of the required features, check on Amazon.

My 2001 Silverado has basic manual mirrors. The driver's mirror was hit 3-4 times because I forgot to fold it in when parking. The last time, I found the glass on the ground and shattered. I was able to reinstall it, but it wasn't worth much and inspection was coming up.

I wanted to keep the stock appearance, so I first tried the "Fit System" glass insert from Amazon. It wouldn't fit, because the mounting tab design was a little different than stock. There was a lot of "give" when I tried to push it onto the mount, and I realized the mount inside the housing was cracked.

I sent back the glass and ordered the Dorman full mirror. It was twice the price of some others advertised, but the photos seemed to show its texture matching stock. And it was half the price of a new one from GM Parts Direct.

It installed with no problems and has the right texture. It is a lot flimsier than the OEM mirror, and I don't expect it to survive the first collision. It vibrates at speed, but I don't notice that any more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know my Dad wants to find the mirror glass and if the housing is bad we will work on that next. if I can get the mirror glass in and if the mirror keeps popping out we will know that the housing needs to be fixed also. appreciate your experience in replacement mirrors

Last edited:
You should be able to easily inspect the housing for problems. Look for cracks in the round piece that the mirror snaps onto and the bracket that fastens it to the rest of the housing.

I assume this is a power mirror, so it may look different from what I'm explaining. In my case, the mount being cracked let it flex so the twelve tabs in your second photo would not snap into place.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
You should be able to easily inspect the housing for problems. Look for cracks in the round piece that the mirror snaps onto and the bracket that fastens it to the rest of the housing.

I assume this is a power mirror, so it may look different from what I'm explaining. In my case, the mount being cracked let it flex so the twelve tabs in your second photo would not snap into place.

Sounds good will check out the mount to see if anything is easily seen. I did get to order a mirror after calling the seller on Ebay who had the actual mirror glass that looked exactly like the original. I needed the glass so I will see if there is anything the looks wrong with the housing before installing it. thanks for the tips .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back