2013 300hp Mercury Verados - what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I recently got a boat with twin 300hp mercury verados. The manual calls for their synthetic blend oil designed specifically for verados. Has anyone got any info on this oil, any better alternatives, and real world warranty implications (save me the magnusson moss jive) of using non mercury oil? Thanks, I'd prefer to use a full synthetic theoretically.

Merc oil isn't anything super special, but it could save you a lot of trouble if you could prove it was in there when there's a warranty issue!

Were they mine I would be looking at Amsoil's 30w or 40w marine 4 stroke oil which is designed for your application...

Steve, are you familiar with the new formulation specific to Verados or are you just expressing an opinion? The merc oil they call for is 25w50...is there a reason you'd go with an Amsoil 30 or 40 weight? Mobil 1 makes a 15w50 which might be a contender.

Considering those outboards are $25k each I'd run the Merc oil. Its a drop in the bucket in the boats overall operating costs.

What are you going to save $5? You'll burn that fire walling the throttles first trip of the season.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lightman
Steve, are you familiar with the new formulation specific to Verados or are you just expressing an opinion? The merc oil they call for is 25w50...is there a reason you'd go with an Amsoil 30 or 40 weight? Mobil 1 makes a 15w50 which might be a contender.

ooops, sorry, I was referring to their 15w-40 which is a much more pedestrian formula.

That 25w-50 will be hard to match, but I know Merc is not the mfgr.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Considering those outboards are $25k each I'd run the Merc oil. Its a drop in the bucket in the boats overall operating costs.

What are you going to save $5? You'll burn that fire walling the throttles first trip of the season.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

^ 1+++++

I'd run any high quality 20w50 and forget about it. Nothing special about Mercury oil....let alone their 25w50 oil.

Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. etc. I'd stay away from high-ester oils like Redline, Motul, and Torco.

That is the first and only oil designed specifically for Verado engines. Why would you NOT use it?

This thread is useless without pics of twin 300 Xrods!
I myself would take a look at AMS or RP for these motors...
A few websites out there for performance outboards...
scream and fly
bass boat central
I myself would be in a dream if I could drive a boat with 2 Vrod 300's...

Want to see a VOA of this 'magical' 25W50.

I'd bet dollars to donuts it's nuttin' special.
21.gif

This topic is of interest to me since I did a delivery inspection of my buddy's 39 Nor Tech with triple 300 Verodos. Sure the oil is a pittance compared to the price of the boat, but I'm sure there is better oil than the Merc 25W50 for less than $50/gal. I will at least be advising servicing this boat, but likely performing some of it, and am looking for the oil I will suggest beyond warranty. I'm of the opinion that the Merc oil isn't anything special and better oil can be had for the price.

These motors would likely run fine and last long on 15W40 HDEO. Do they really require a limited viscosity range oil like a 25W50? I suspect these oils are developed to entice owners into thinking they must use the factory oil, and not for any real benefits. Maybe they seek viscosity stability by limiting VII's, but there are oils that have both viscosity range and viscosity breakdown resistance.

I'm thinking a 50W synthetic race or motorcycle oil with a decent drain interval detergent package would be better than the Merc factory oil. Maybe Motul 300V in the race or MC version, but these motors may be fine with a less expensive oil such as 15W50 Mobil 1.

Castrol 10W60 TWS might be a good option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
This topic is of interest to me since I did a delivery inspection of my buddy's 39 Nor Tech with triple 300 Verodos. Sure the oil is a pittance compared to the price of the boat, but I'm sure there is better oil than the Merc 25W50 for less than $50/gal. I will at least be advising servicing this boat, but likely performing some of it, and am looking for the oil I will suggest beyond warranty. I'm of the opinion that the Merc oil isn't anything special and better oil can be had for the price.

These motors would likely run fine and last long on 15W40 HDEO. Do they really require a limited viscosity range oil like a 25W50? I suspect these oils are developed to entice owners into thinking they must use the factory oil, and not for any real benefits. Maybe they seek viscosity stability by limiting VII's, but there are oils that have both viscosity range and viscosity breakdown resistance.

I'm thinking a 50W synthetic race or motorcycle oil with a decent drain interval detergent package would be better than the Merc factory oil. Maybe Motul 300V in the race or MC version, but these motors may be fine with a less expensive oil such as 15W50 Mobil 1.

Castrol 10W60 TWS might be a good option.

I think you're right about wanting to limit the VII.
Considering how marine engines run I'd lean more towards a straight grade oil,hdeo or motorcycle variant.
V-twin oils tend to have very high amounts of zddp,but no friction modifiers.
I know its a completely different animal however we had a 21 foot grew,deep v hull,great for the choppy waters of Georgian bay and the Great Lakes.
Anyways it had a 275hp merc. Basically a chev 350. We used nothing but diesel straight grade 40's in that boat.
That boat spent 90% of its life at 4000+ rpm and the rest of the time at idle. When we sold it it ran perfectly.
OP
With this type of investment I'd use what they tell you to use. Or Amsoil and follow their oil finder to your engine.

On Mercury Marine website it has this comparison between what is likely 15W50 Mobil 1:

Here are the results from a comparison test between Verado Oil and a popular 15W 50 full synthetic oil.
◾Verado oil shows significantly better shear stability and volatility, and is higher in viscosity and High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) after shear.
◾The popular competitive formulation uses a fair amount of VM (viscosity modifier) which is subject to shear, while the Mercury oil contains no VM. As a result, the Mercury oil will hold its viscosity far better in difficult situations.
◾The HTHS after shear follows along with the viscosity stability, which results in improved bearing protection.
◾Use of the full synthetic competitive oil resulted in higher oil consumption than the Mercury 25W-50.

This indicates apparent concern over shearing and viscosity breakdown.

One factor that likely drives oil recommendations by marine engine manufacturers is potential duty cycle. They have to allow the possibility the motor will be hung on a barge and run at 3/4 throttle for 15 hours straight. My buddies boat will rarely see a minute of continuous use above 3/4 throttle.

Well I have never seen an oil failure on an outboard so I don't think trying to out engineer the Merc guys gains you anything.

Put in the Merc oil, crack a beer and forget about it.

BTW nice boat a Nor Tech's are very well made and pretty rare.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger

One factor that likely drives oil recommendations by marine engine manufacturers is potential duty cycle. They have to allow the possibility the motor will be hung on a barge and run at 3/4 throttle for 15 hours straight. My buddies boat will rarely see a minute of continuous use above 3/4 throttle.

Most marine engine manufactures especially diesel manufactures specify in the FSM how much as a percentage of total engine hours can be full throttle and how much of it should be at cruising or less.

If I remember right on my Cummins its like 10 minutes out of every hour or something like that for WOT operation. I suspect super charged outboards are even a bit less, Merc probably intends you to cruise them at 70%-75% of their range, or less.

If your going to hang it on a barge you prop it accordingly, the RPM's and engine load stay the same.

The guys that blow motors are the hardcore fishermen who have to get to the grounds ASAP, they typically run at WOT all the time and things pop, no oil will help you with that kind of abuse.

Last edited:
This thread is the beginning of a search to find a potential replacement for the Merc oil. I won't recommend a replacement without being very confident of the choice. I may send off a sample of the Merc oil for VOA for a little background. Maybe I'll have him run Merc 25W50 in one engine, 10W50 Motul 300V in another, and Mobil 1 15W50 in the other. You can get lots of data quickly with UOAs from three engines quickly.

"This thread is the beginning of a search to find a potential replacement for the Merc oil. I won't recommend a replacement without being very confident of the choice. I may send off a sample of the Merc oil for VOA for a little background. Maybe I'll have him run Merc 25W50 in one engine, 10W50 Motul 300V in another, and Mobil 1 15W50 in the other. You can get lots of data quickly with UOAs from three engines quickly."

It's your test (time and $$$) but I'd mix in a 15W40 (pick one) as it is one of the most recommended oils for warm-weather marine operation.

Here is virgin Mercury outboard oil in 25W-40. Look at it and see what you guys think. I have seriously considered Delvac 15w-40. Hope the info helps.

ALUMINUM - 0
CHROMIUM - 0
IRON - 1
COPPER -0
LEAD - 0
TIN - 0
MOLYBDENUM - 51
NICKEL - 0
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM -0
POTASSIUM - 1
BORON - 200
SILICON - 3
SODIUM - 0
CALCIUM - 2457
MAGNESIUM - 10
PHOSPHORUS - 1188
ZINC - 1341
BARIUM - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 79.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C - 15.35
Flashpoint in °F - 475

I have run the Quicksilver 25w40 oil for 21 years. Never a problem and Walmart carries it. This is all in big block Horizon engines that really beat oil. I would stick with the Merc oil and filters for the warranty period because they might ask you for receipts if you have an engine failure. The new 25w50 is probably better but the 25w40 is really just an HDEO with a bit more anti-corrosion additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back