Oil Filter for '02 Subaru Impreza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Great site!!!!

My fiance has a 2002 Subaru Impreza RS with 40000 miles on it. She's been having the oil changed every 3k with dino oil. I want to switch it to Mobil 1 oil and to Mobil 1 oil filters. However, it seems that there is no Mobil 1 oil filter for this type of car.

My questions is: What is the next best oil filter available for this car? And, where can I get it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-M

Mobil1 M1-104 is the Mobil 1 filter for it IIRC. The Purolator 14460 (especially the PureOne version) is a great filter too.

Dave

I have an 02 Subaru Impreza TS, the RS's uglier, more utilitarian sibling
smile.gif

There are a few details about the Subaru Impreza oil filters which aren't readily apparent.

1. They are mounted upside down, and IIRC, the OEM Subaru filters do not have an anti-drainback valve (ADBV) because it is not needed (assuming you parking somewhere where you have gravity
smile.gif
Same for the Purolator L14460 and PL14460. Using oil filters with ADBVs is a common cause of undue engine noise with Subarus.

1a. Because they are mounted upside down, you can fill 'em to the brim with fresh oil before mounting your new oil filter, a very nice benefit
smile.gif

2. IIRC, the bypass valve pressure setting is 23 psi with the OEM Subaru oil filter (and the Purolator L14460 and PL14460, again, IIRC). Using a filter that "fits" may not have the same bypass pressure, and you could be either flowing dirty oil too easily (bypass pressure too low) or starving the engine of oil when it needs it (bypass pressure too high)

3. The Subaru OEM oil filter uses a round profile O-ring to seal the oil filter against the engine mount. The Purolator filters use a rectangular profile gasket (can you call a non-round gasket an O-ring?). There is more chance of uneven sealing with the rectangular profile gasket than the round O-ring gasket, albeit improbable.

For all these reasons, I use the Subaru OEM oil filter.

If someone else came out with a filter that

1. had no ADBV (because it isn't needed, makes engine noisy)
2. had a bypass pressure of 23 psi
3. used a round O-ring gasket
4. "fit" (OD, thread engagement, etc)
5. had filter media as good as the Subaru filter
6. was longer and thus had more filter media

I'd use it in a heartbeat... haven't found it yet
frown.gif

[ April 22, 2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: bigpaulo ]

quote:

Originally posted by macaddict:
Do you know of any websites where I could get them at a lower price than dealers?

I buy all my Subaru parts from Liberty Subaru in NJ. They have low prices if you identify yourself as "internet customer." Although you'd probably have to pay sales tax since you are in NJ.

I've been using Purolator oil filters on Subarus for 15 years and a cumulative mileage > 500,000 miles. I've NEVER had a problem with the 'square' gasket.

Dave

I have been using the Purolator PL14460 (PureOne) filter from my local AP store for ~6 dollars. My OEM purolator cost ~8.00 dollars. Seems to be constructed very well and according to Purolator the PureOne PL14460 does have an ADBV. Ed Hayes

I heard Purolator makes the OEM Subaru filter. I own a 95 2.2l Impreza. I just bought a K&N oil filter for it's next oil change. Why go out and buy an OEM filter when a Purolator is basically the same thing?

I agree with most of your points except this one:

quote:

Originally posted by bigpaulo:

2. IIRC, the bypass valve pressure setting is 23 psi with the OEM Subaru oil filter (and the Purolator L14460 and PL14460, again, IIRC). Using a filter that "fits" may not have the same bypass pressure, and you could be either flowing dirty oil too easily (bypass pressure too low) or starving the engine of oil when it needs it (bypass pressure too high)

Bypass setting depends on the filter, not the engine. Since it activates on the difference between either side of the filter and not total pressure. Both filters should flow dirty and clean oil about the same amount of time. All this tells you is that the OEM filter is more restrictive.

I don't know about the ADBV comment either. I don't see how an ADBV could cause start up noise. Many cars with vertical filters have ADBVs. The oil can actually experience a siphon effect.

-T

I have a 02 WRX.

The Mobil 1 M1-104 is a Honda oil filter. The M1-104 will fit fine, the only problem is that the top plate of Honda filters are concave, where as Subaru filters are flat. You can only get about 3-4 turns before it is seated.

The white OEM (P/N 15208AA060) filters you get from the dealership are just re-badged Purolator PremiumPLUS (L14460) filters. They even say Purolator on them.

I use Purolator PremiumPLUS (L14460) filters, as they are the same as OEM filters at 1/2 the price.

Hi all,

Thanks for your input!!

I guess it is better to find the OEM oil filters and start using those.

Do you know of any websites where I could get them at a lower price than dealers?

Thanks again...

-M

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
I have been using the Purolator PL14460 (PureOne) filter from my local AP store for ~6 dollars. My OEM purolator cost ~8.00 dollars. Seems to be constructed very well and according to Purolator the PureOne PL14460 does have an ADBV. Ed Hayes

Purolator does state that the PureOne filters have ADBV but I'm quite sure the PL14460 does not have one. I use the PureOne on my WRX. I buy 3 or 4 at a time when they're on sale, usually for $4.99. That's definitely cheaper than what the dealer charges for the OEM filters, plus the PureOne uses a better filter media.

The warranty does not apply in my case. I have 150,000 miles. Hahahaha. I am going to use K&N oil filters with M1 10W-30. Now which Purolator oil filter is the Subaru OEM? The Purolator PremiumPlus or the PureOne? Seems to be debate about it here.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Plus, you still need the washers...

You must not be properly torquing your drain plug. I know, most people don't. But I do, and I can't recall the last time I had to replace the washer on any of the soobs I'm responsible for. 128K miles on Impreza, 122K miles on Legacy, 79K miles on Outback1, 37K miles on Outback2, 65K miles on Outback3. Yeah, you could say we're a soob family.

Dave

If that's the case, I will just get the Purolator (pureone) filter instead of getting at the dealer.

Thank you all for your replies.

-M

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
My OEM purolator cost ~8.00 dollars.

I use the PureOne on my WRX. I buy 3 or 4 at a time when they're on sale, usually for $4.99. That's definitely cheaper than what the dealer charges for the OEM filters, plus the PureOne uses a better filter media.

PureOne does not use better filter media because OEM filter has the same PureOne filter media. I usually pay about $4.60 for my OEM filters when I mail-order a box of 12. I get my drain plug crush washers at the same time. It's very convenient. I don't even have to go to the store, pay sales tax, look for sales, etc. Plus, you still need the washers, so you still have to either go to the dealer or buy them mail-order.

Convenience and better price are not the only reasons to buy OEM Subaru filters. If you DO have a problem, you will be covered by warranty if you use OEM. Some years back my aftermarket filter on my then-new Impreza leaked. I did not know what it was, so after seeing the thick smoke (oil on exhaust) I called for a tow truck. I ended up paying for the tow and dealer's service out of pocket because I neglected to use an OEM filter! Don't let this happen to you!

[ April 23, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: vvk ]

I have a MY02 OBS, and the wife drives a MY03 Baja. Get the Subaru oil filters, and be sure to use a new crush washer every time. I just got a case (12) of Subaru oil filters from Subaruwrxparts.com for around $60. Even comes with the crush washers.

Oh, and I think the filters may be made by other than Purolator now due to the recent part # change for the filters, but I'm not sure. Brian

The warranty does not apply in my case. I have 150,000 miles. Hahahaha.

It does. Subaru warrants their filters. If you have a problem with their filter Subaru will cover it. Does not matter how many miles you've got. Try do go after K&N if you have a problem.

Now which Purolator oil filter is the Subaru OEM? The Purolator PremiumPlus or the PureOne? Seems to be debate about it here.

This does not really answer it, but might be interesting:
Subaru oil filter study

It's entirely possible that that OEM Subaru filters contain a media that is unlike either Purolator-branded equivalent.

I asked Purolator this question regarding the Motorcraft filters, which they also make. The engineer I corresponded with was quite up-front in telling me that the PremiumPlus, PureOne, and Motorcraft lines all use different media specifications.

While I don't know one way or the other, it would not surprise me if this were the case with Subaru filters, as well.

I describe my exchange with Purolator in some detail in this thread (apologies for the ghastly formatting job I did in the first post).

I have a 2001 2.5RS and use a Purolator L14460.
I have tried the Pureone but got too much engine noise so I switched back. (My assumption is the filter media is more restrictive than the Plus) My local Advance auto sells the L14460 for $2.89 and the PL14460 for $5.99. My oil seems to get dirty at the same rate with either one. Neither has an ADBV. What I do find interesting is that on the 'subaru oil filter study' site it appears the OEM filter HAS an ADBV. (now I don't know what to think) My car seems to like the L14460 the best (as far as noise, and I like the price the best) Since Purolator makes the OEM filter I feel pretty safe using it. (I would bet the OEM is closer to a Plus rather than a Pureone)
Also, I have been using the same crush washer on the drain plug since I got the car. (43000 miles) ..................Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back