Favorite Music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Joe Bonomassa, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and any other good blues-oriented rock

Collective Soul

70's and 80's hard rock - Bad Company, Deep Purple, Rainbow, early Whitesnake, AC/DC with Bon Scott, Van Halen with and without DLR, Montrose, Eric Clapton

Thin Lizzy is probably my all time favorite hard rock group

80's rock/metal - Lita Ford, Cinderella, Def Leppard, Mr. Big, Night Ranger, Bryan Adams, Pat Benatar, Sammy Hagar

There are a few "new" bands I like. Of all the new-style so-called rock bands Shinedown is the only one I like. I also like a group that is a combination of guys from Wishbone Ash and the 1970's version of Whitesnake, the band is called Snakecharmer.

I also listen to some of the more mellow stuff out there like Sarah McLachlan and 10,000 Maniacs. Sometimes I will play old Southern rock from Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers, but not too often. Early ZZ Top is good too.

I think in general modern "rock and roll" died in the 1990's. There have been a few groups that tried to bring it back but the heart and soul, vibe and feel of real rock died when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and their ad-nauseum siblings got popular in the 90's. Only once in a blue moon does a real rock band come along nowadays. Because of that and I guess just because I am getting older I have really been getting back into real rock from the 70's and early 80's, like Boston, Bad Company, Steely Dan, The Cars, Deep Purple, Clapton and so on.

Don't see how I did it but I forgot to mention Y&T. Absolutely one of the best hard rock bands of all time. Their albums Earthshaker, Black Tiger and Mean Streak all belong at the top in any definitive hard rock collection. I saw Y&T play live several times back in the 80's, watched them nearly blow the roof off of the Fox Theater in Atlanta one night...Great songs and phenomenal musicianship. I still listen to Y&T fairly frequently and still never get tired of them.

Some of my favorite groups are the Beatles, ELO, Boston, Styx, Foreigner, Steve Miller Band, Nazareth, Eagles, Journey, just to name a few, but basically music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s contemporary...and 90s country...today's stuff blows!

Yes, REM, Moody Blues, Beatles, McCartney (early stuff) Al Stewart, Eurythmics. Then Classical stuff. Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Beethoven, Bach, Debussy ... ... .

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Hard Rock and Metal
A lot of Dubstep and related electronic genres lately as well.

This is much like me.
I love Korn's album they made with Skrillex - That song "Narcissistic Cannibal" is awesome.

Sixties garage/psych rock. I have a huge collection of original lps and 45s. Thousands of pieces and growing :^)

Originally Posted By: grampi
Some of my favorite groups are the Beatles, ELO, Boston, Styx, Foreigner, Steve Miller Band, Nazareth, Eagles, Journey, just to name a few, but basically music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s contemporary...and 90s country...today's stuff blows!

I see you like ELO (one of my faves as well!). You should check out Jeff Lynne's pre-ELO band The Idle Race. I just picked up a mint promo original pressing of their 1968 "The Birthday" lp. KILLER stuff!! Sounds just like ELO,only a few years earlier.

Top bands for me would probably be The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, ELO, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I've got a pretty wide variety of music I like. Classical, big band jazz, Broadway musicals, 60s-80s classic rock, and heavy metal.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: grampi

I see you like ELO (one of my faves as well!). You should check out Jeff Lynne's pre-ELO band The Idle Race. I just picked up a mint promo original pressing of their 1968 "The Birthday" lp. KILLER stuff!! Sounds just like ELO,only a few years earlier.

I'd probably like it then...

Pink Floyd, Tool, Porcupine Tree, The Cure, New Order, A perfect circle, Miles Davis, Rainow, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Gretchen Lieberum....

I listen to just about anything depending on mood or looking for something different. What I always go back to is classic rock though when tinkering in the garage.

Led Zep, Doors, The who, CCR, Allman Bros, SRV. I also like country music both new and old, blues and even sometimes a little big band style music from the 40's just for the heck of it! Pandora is a fantastic thing that lets you check out new things easily.

The Who
Kansas
CCR
Dooby Brothers
Canned Heat
Frank Sinatra
Steppen Wolf
Goo Goo dolls
Grand Funk Railroad
The list goes on.. various genres, but mostly classis rock.

Occasional country when something is on that I like.. Liking country nowadays is a lot like liking Jeeps. You really have to specify what you prefer. If I told someone I like Jeeps, they may think I'm referring to the new Cherokee or the Compass. Same as country. They may think I like Taylor Swifty or Hunter Hayes.

OK, but remember, you asked...
About three years ago, it was a boring evening. I was noodling around YouTube and decided to look up some Russian music. Our family had an interesting collection of LPs growing up, one was Russian music that I enjoyed playing, just once in a while. I clicked on a thumbnail and found myself watching an intriguing video, and while I didn't understand a word, I enjoyed it. That turned out to be Tina Karol (actually Ukrainian). Some days later, I clicked on another thumbnail, and found yet another intriguing video. That turned out to be Jasmin, and I was hooked.

I never had a hobby that "stuck", but this turned into one very unusual, entertaining and educational hobby. I've got a little over 600 songs at this point, mostly the lady vocalists, but an interesting mix. Each with their own style and sound. Singers you never heard of, Jasmin, Tina Karol, Alsou, Ani Lorak, Chi-Li, Kristina Orbakaite, Marta, Nyusha, Sofia Rotaru, Vera Brezhneva, Yuliya Savicheva, Zhanna Friske and many others. At some point I started translating their songs, at first an experiment (Google Translate is an amazing tool), as it progressed, more in earnest. The translations aren't perfect, but you understand the song. I've got on the order of 200 songs translated. It keeps me out of trouble.

It's neat looking at a different culture. A culture that for me was so many years "behind the iron curtain". I see so many similarities, people are people, but don't worry, I'm still "American", just enjoying a little Russian music...

How's that for different?
I always liked different.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Classic Rock & Roll Music especially early Neil Diamond,

I never knew Neil Diamond to be classified as rock, so this early Neil Diamond must have been much different.

I see Stevie Ray Vaughn listed in many posts. You guys really ought to listen to some Johnny Winter. You are missing out.
Here is some earlier Johnny Winter:
1970 concert video

By the way, that is Tommy Shannon on bass in the Johnny Winter concert I posted above. As you SRV fans know, Tommy later played bass of SRV.

Metallica
Testament
Slayer
Def Leppard
AC/DC
Steve Vai
Guns N Roses
Iron Maiden
Motley Crue
Queensryche
Skid Row
Van Halen

(sorry, I listed more than 10)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: Mystic
Classic Rock & Roll Music especially early Neil Diamond,

I never knew Neil Diamond to be classified as rock, so this early Neil Diamond must have been much different.

I see Stevie Ray Vaughn listed in many posts. You guys really ought to listen to some Johnny Winter. You are missing out.
Here is some earlier Johnny Winter:
1970 concert video

Early Neil Diamond (his Bang label material) is awesome!! Kind've folk-rocky. Check out Johnny Winter's "Birds Can't Row Boats" (Pacemaker label 45 from 1966). KILLER tune!!

Originally Posted By: Patman
Metallica
Testament
Slayer
Def Leppard
AC/DC
Steve Vai
Guns N Roses
Iron Maiden
Motley Crue
Queensryche

Skid Row
Van Halen

(sorry, I listed more than 10)
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Early Neil Diamond (his Bang label material) is awesome!! Kind've folk-rocky. Check out Johnny Winter's "Birds Can't Row Boats" (Pacemaker label 45 from 1966). KILLER tune!!

Yes I am familiar with Birds Can't Row Boats. It was one of a couple songs Johnny wrote to be Dylanish. The other was Avacado Green. I have probably 150 CDS and Concerts, basically every Johnny Winter CD I could get my hands on, all the Live Bootleg Series, etc. I guess that is obsessive, but it is great stuff.

I'll have to look into that early Diamond stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back