Preferred Brake Bleed Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have many of you tried a few of the different brake flush and bleed methods, and could speak as to what they feel is better and why? Here are a few of the different methods that I have read about, and have considered adopting:

First is using a vacuum pump to pull the brake fluid through to each caliper.

Second is using a reverse brake bleeder. The one that I have heard a lot about is the Phoenix System. Instead of pulling fluid down to each caliper, it pumps fresh fluid up to the reservoir from each caliper.

Third are the Speed Bleeder screws. They claim to eliminate the need for any special equipment. An anti backflow valve inside each bleeder screw makes it possible to perform a traditional brake bleed, but with only one person.

I want to do my own brake fluid flush and bleed. But, I've never had real good success with the old, traditional method of an overflow bottle with the bleed hose submerged, so when you let off the brake pedal, air is not sucked back in. I never get as firm of a pedal as I want. So, I have considered trying one of these methods.

The reverse bleed method has always appealed to me, since it pushes any air bubbles up, the way that gravity wants to move them anyway. This seems to make sense. But, then the Speed Bleeder screws are a pretty simple concept. No special equipment. All you need is a hose and a catch bottle.

Please share. I am particularly interested in hearing if any of you have tried more than one of these, and can share pros and cons.

There is one more that you did not mention; it's the one where you basically pressurize the brake fluid reservoir. Not very common but it's out there
smile.gif

Pressure bleeders:

Last edited:
A MityVac is a nice big container and can draw a nice vacuum. Much better than the hand vacuum pump with 6 oz container attached.

Gravity bleeding does work well for doing a brake fluid flush.

However in the end there is nothing like pushing on the brake pedal with your foot and having someone open the bleeder then close it before you release your foot.

It all depends upon the vehicle and how much help you have. There is no "best" method for every vehicle or situation.

What vehicle are we talking about ?
Will you have any help ?
Is there a specific problem you're having ?

Originally Posted By: Andy636
There is one more that you did not mention; it's the one where you basically pressurize the brake fluid reservoir. Not very common but it's out there
smile.gif

Pressure bleeders:

This one is new to me. Thanks for sharing. Any opinions, compared to others?

Originally Posted By: Donald
However in the end there is nothing like pushing on the brake pedal with your foot and having someone open the bleeder then close it before you release your foot.

I absolutely despise this method. To me, this is an absolute last choice. I would probably pay someone else to do it, before I would do this. You may have noted that this was missing from my list of options. That was very intentional.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
It all depends upon the vehicle and how much help you have. There is no "best" method for every vehicle or situation.

What vehicle are we talking about ? Both of mine listed below.

Will you have any help ? No. We are empty nesters, and my wife doesn't like to get her hands dirty. So I'm looking for a one man job system.

Is there a specific problem you're having? I just want to be able to perform flush and bleed for regular PM.

I have the Motive Bleeder and love it. Bought it after others recommended. Fill it with pint to qt new fluid,hook everything up, pressurize, start at furthest brake and open bleeder. When you get new fluid close it.

I use ATE fluid, comes in blue and gold. I alternate which was suggested by some. With clear/gold in the master cylinder, turkey baster most out and fill with blue, use blue in Motive. when you see blue at the bleeder you have all new fluid in line. I do RR, LR, RF, LF

What are your thoughts on gravity bleeding?....basically opening the bleeder screw and letting it drip out until fresh fluid is in the caliper. Of course you wouldn't step on the brake pedal because air would be drawn in when you let go.

smile.gif

Pressure bleeders:

Of all the ways to bleed brakes, this has got to be the easiest. I won't say it's the best way but it's really hard to screw it up.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A MityVac is a nice big container and can draw a nice vacuum. Much better than the hand vacuum pump with 6 oz container attached.

Gravity bleeding does work well for doing a brake fluid flush.

Wouldn't that be like performing surgery with a Bowie? Why have a huge 8 quart capacity (I think that is what a MityVac holds?) when a brake flush and bleed may use a quart of fluid?

Oh, I think I just figured out what you are saying. Are you suggesting to use a MityVac to pull vacuum from the caliper side, as opposed to creating a positive pressure, as is being shown with the Motive? If I were using a MityVac for oil changes, that may be a good idea. But, since I'm not a fan of that method for oil changes, it seems that it would be way overkill to have such a large system to change brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
I have the Motive Bleeder and love it. Bought it after others recommended. Fill it with pint to qt new fluid,hook everything up, pressurize, start at furthest brake and open bleeder. When you get new fluid close it.

I use ATE fluid, comes in blue and gold. I alternate which was suggested by some. With clear/gold in the master cylinder, turkey baster most out and fill with blue, use blue in Motive. when you see blue at the bleeder you have all new fluid in line. I do RR, LR, RF, LF

Will it hold enough fluid to do a full flush on a normal car? Or do you have to fill the tank a couple times.

I have heard elsewhere of using the colored brake fluid, and alternating between color, making it easier to see when fresh fluid is coming through. Great idea. Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted By: pbm
What are your thoughts on gravity bleeding?....basically opening the bleeder screw and letting it drip out until fresh fluid is in the caliper. Of course you wouldn't step on the brake pedal because air would be drawn in when you let go.

Does this work with modern ABS systems? With all the valves and controls in an ABS, it seems unlikely that gravity would overcome all this. What is the advantage, except no real expense for equipment?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
smile.gif

Pressure bleeders:

Of all the ways to bleed brakes, this has got to be the easiest. I won't say it's the best way but it's really hard to screw it up.

It seems like it would be very clean. I'm intrigued.

I've tried 2 methods on multiple BMW's.

Pressure bleeding with the Motive Bleeder: Worst nightmare on earth, the only reason i purchased it was because there seemed to be lots of people recommending it but its useless, at least on BMW's. I pressurized the tank to 15PSI and it would BARELY push fluid out from any of the corners. (I know you first flush the furthest corner which is RR but i was just trying others to see if it made a difference.)
With the Motive Bleeder i had to keep pressurizing the tank after it dropped to around 10-11PSI and it barely pushed any fluid.
Tried on multitple cars, same results.

Pedal bleeding: Out of the 2 methods i've tried this is the best. Fast, easy and effective. Takes me a third of the time to bleed an entire car compared to the Motive Bleeder. As long as the other person helping you knows what hes doing theres no danger in sucking air in.

Last edited:
I used the Motive Power Brake Bleeder for the first time today to bleed the V70 brakes. I would order it with the quick disconnect coupler however, which I ordered after using it. From what I have read, it appears better to push brake fluid through the brake lines and master cylinder than pull it via a vacuum. I'm not an experienced DIYer but I found this method to be simple and straightforward.

Last edited:
Quote:
Pedal bleeding: Out of the 2 methods i've tried this is the best. Fast, easy and effective. Takes me a third of the time to bleed an entire car compared to the Motive Bleeder. As long as the other person helping you knows what hes doing theres no danger in sucking air in.

+1

Really, what is your problem with this method?

I tried 3 methods: Wifey helped pedal bleeding, Motive pressure bleeder and Mityvac 7201.

Pedal bleeding is okay but wifey didn't like to do it after finish the 2 rears, had to bribe her to finish the 2 fronts.

Motive pressure bleeder didn't work well on the rears of LS400 and E430, sold it on Craiglist.

Mityvac 7201 is so easy, fast and clean, the brake pedal is firm without any air in the system, my personal opinion is it's the best tool to bleed the brake by 1 person.

I don't have experience with speed bleeder, but I don't like each vehicle needs a set, for 4 cars we have the cost adds up earl fast.

I bought Mityvac to change oil in the E430, it's the best tool to change oil in an MB and many BMW and other German engines. I also use Mityvac to do ATF change for my cars, and then bleeding the brake. One tool to do several things rather than 1 tool for only 1 job.

The Mityvac seems like a very good option for a 1 person job, i should have asked before buying the Motive Bleeder.

Still think nothing beats pedal bleeding but the downside is that it needs 2 person so if if youre going the 1 man team, then go for the Mityvac.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back