Redline 5W40... smoke & oil smells bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
confused2.gif
I noticed that since my last change to 5W40 redline my car Golf V R32
19.gif
exhausts emitted over a long smoke.

It had a bad odor and the exhausts were darkened.

I raised the filler cap, smelt the back who did not feel as hot oil when I used previous 5W40 Group III oils.

Oil were darkened too...

Is Redline 5W40 has a detergency due to its ester base.

I bought on sale 5l of Castrol 0W30 API SL for my next oil change.

Do you think that I should drain and replace the oil that has only 1000km and in France costs around € 17 a quart ?

34.gif

Redline uses pao and poe. The poe is a natural detergent/dispersant. And iirc redline has a truckload of calcium so if the previous oils left deposits redline will clean it up and you'll see exactly what you're seeing now.
How many miles in this run? What oil was used before and what interval.
I'm a big fan of redline and it's my favorite brand for sure but too costly for me to buy off the shelf.
Be advised that redline engine oils have shown in the used oil analysis posted here show they are NOT long drain capable,and if the oil is already stinky is consider changing it because due to it cleaning the tbn may be depleted.
If you can afford redline for every change I say use it.
Redline tends to be thicker in the grade too so if your engine calls for a 40 grade I suggest using their 30 grade and only thicken it if something presents itself.
I wish I could afford redline in everything I own. I use shockproof in everything that has gears such as my diffs and the tranny of my Harley and only because I don't need much and it is the best gear oil on the planet.
Stick with redline. Top of the line regardless if certs

I run RL almost exclusively (see sig), and I have found that when switchingfrom a ddifferent oil, what works best for me is to start with a low mile OCI, and increase incrementally (ie 1k, then 2k, then 3.5k, then 5k). It is the most powerful sludge removal agent I've seen in action, but as a result you will see the characteristic black oil color combined with quick TBN drop for the amount of time it takes to get "established" in your motor.
I have found that with continuous use, the TBN drop slows greatly, and I run 5-7.5k miles and could likely do 10k before having to really think about it.

It's also been a very sheer stable oil in my experience, so don't get a higher grade expecting it to drop, it won't. I run 0-5w40 and it's never once tested even on the border of either viscosity extreme.

If you are willing to spend the money, it's one of the absolute best oils, period. I can't think of any other oil that I can put in any of my cars, drive 2k on the street, head to the track and put 1k miles of HARD use over a few days, and then drive another few k on the street before changing, and do all this without a single issue.
Even better, I have lower oil temps w RL than I've seen w any other oil, period, by 10-30F on track.

And as mentioned by clevy, their gear oil is really top notch stuff.

I bought the car at approximatively 80000km...

I make 4 oil changes at 7500km (half recommended interval) with quality branded synthetic (castrol & mobil 1 for the last) because the car was a little bit sluggish & I knew that the VR6 motor was known for that.

I think I've maintained the car well (oil & filters change) & his first owner did all the regular maintenance in VW dealership every 15000km. I have all his receipts.

I know that the Redline 5W40 has a higher HTHS than other same grade oils & maybe I should choose the 5W30 but I already had order this oil.
I expected to do 5000 to 7500km with the oil but now I think it will be too much...

I was surprised to see the oil so dark (ambered) after only 1500km but if you say that's because it cleans the engine of his sludge...
cheers3.gif

I choose Redline instead Motul 300V because it was an oil which has manufacturers approbations...
Motul 300V oils are sensibly at the same price of GIII oils in France but seems to be not for long drain intervals
34.gif

15k oci by prior owner may be too long depending on driving conditions and whatever oil the dealer put in in before you bought it. Sounds like Redline is cleaning up the sludge.

Maybe drain it now and run another redline oci for 2-3k to see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back