using redline 5w-20 in my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading up on redline 5w-20 and from some of the opinions here it is a very stout 20wt oil , actually some say it can be used in 5w-30 applications. My Chevy trailblazer is specd for 5w-30 but I have wondered how the redline 5w-20 would work in it . only issue I might have is that I tow my large bassboat in the spring and summer months.The truck does take 7 quarts so it is a little easier on oil that say a truck that would take only 5 quarts. Guess I could use it in the fall and winter ? my ride that I bought it for was just totaled and the new Honda is specd for 0w-20 so I do think really want to use the 5w-20 in a new car as it is really a 30wt oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
What year and what engine?

the truck is a 2002 with 100,000 miles on it. have been using synthetic in it with no oil leaks. has a straight 6, 4.2 litre motor in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What possible advantage do you see running 5w-20 vs. the specified 5w/10w-30?

no advantage just trying to use up some good oil. with the new Honda taking 0w-20 I would rather not use it in there. I guess I could always mix it with the couple of quarts that I have of redline 0w-30. could always use it in non towing season if the towing will over stress the 5w-20.

Last edited:

I don't think hes looking for advantage, just to use the oil he intended for the wrecked vehicle.

Red Line's own 5w30 is on the thicker side -- more of a 5w40, truthfully. You could consider running their 0w30.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

I don't think hes looking for advantage, just to use the oil he intended for the wrecked vehicle.

exactly ! I have the oil and might be able to use it in my other ride. why not if it will hold up.

Originally Posted By: matrass
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

exactly ! I have the oil and might be able to use it in my other ride. why not if it will hold up.

Oh, ok -- then go ahead and use it!

I don't foresee an issue however you have to consider a couple of things first.
When towing what have your max oil temps been and at those max temps what was your oil pressure.
These 2 values are of the utmost importance and you should know what they are so you've got something to compare against. You also need to know what the oem considers minimum too.
I love redline products and if it were my truck I would run their 20 grade in a heartbeat without a second thought but it's not my truck and I don't want to recommend something without some data before and after to compare.
Redline lubricants are all overkill with their additive packages and I'm confident that their 20 grade would be fine in your application but I cannot say with 100% certainty you'd be fine.
From the used oil analysis posted here at bitog it seems that redline oils aren't extended drain capable so I personally wouldn't push past 7000 miles.
If you wanna sell your oil I'll buy it for cost plus shipping. I've got PayPal

Yes current version of RL 5W-20 with it's HTHSV of 3.0cP and low 147 VI has the viscosity characteristics of an oil like M1 10W-30 and is totally shear stable.
If you have the older SM 5W-20 it's an even heavier oil.

Both these oils are intended for 30 grade applications so they would actually be a good choice for towing in the heat of summer.

thanks for the opinions so far everybody. not sure of oil temp when towing but the oil pressure is in the 40-50 psi range. at worse I can use this for the fall and winter oci. I do have 4 quarts of redline 0W-30 that I can add to the mix. maybe 5 quarts 5w-20 and 2 quarts 0w-30 for two ocis. would leave me with only two quarts of 5w-20 left over to figure out what to do with. sorry to the person in Canada for not selling it to you. had a couple bad transactions to Canada and do not want to go through the hassle again. also have some PP-5W20 that I have to figure out what to do with.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
It will be fine. If you want peace of mind, buy a quart or redline 40 or 50wt stuff and mix

+1 this..or do a 50-50 mix of 5w30 & 5w20.

Red Line oils seem to be about a grade thicker than their viscosity grades would lead you to think, so I think that the RL 5W-20 would do just fine in your 5W-30 specced truck engine.
I'd run it with no concerns.

Originally Posted By: matrass
not sure of oil temp when towing but the oil pressure is in the 40-50 psi range. at worse I can use this for the fall and winter oci. I do have 4 quarts of redline 0W-30 that I can add to the mix. maybe 5 quarts 5w-20 and 2 quarts 0w-30 for two ocis. would leave me with only two quarts of 5w-20 left over to figure out what to do with. .... also have some PP-5W20 that I have to figure out what to do with.

If you can maintain 50 psi at high rev's (say 3,500 rpm) then the oil is not too light.
If the 5W-20 you have is the old SM or SL version then it is actually heavier than RL 0W-30 so there is no thickening advantage is blending the two, you'll just make the oil lighter on start-up only.

PP 5W-20 is a true light 20 grade oil. This would be an ideal winter use oil and you might even be able to use it straight if you can maintain 50 psi as mentioned above. We have a Corvette member who can maintain 50 psi on the very light TGMO 0W-20 so I'd be surprised if you can't. Or just add a couple of quarts of 5W-30 and you'll be more than fine.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
It will be fine. If you want peace of mind, buy a quart or redline 40 or 50wt stuff and mix

+1 this..or do a 50-50 mix of 5w30 & 5w20.

Why would you want to make Red Line thicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back