oil flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you Bitog followers believe in flushing the engine at oil change? I'm hearing a ticking sound on a 6.0L Yukon XL 2500. I use Mobil 1 EP. I was wondering if Marvel Mystery oil warmed up at oil change would be helpful to clean engine. I know Mobil 1 doesn't want anything added to their oil but I do add Lubeguard because of a ticking sound. Engine only has 50 K mi.
Thank you

Have you isolated where the noise is coming from (stethoscope)?
What's the maintenance history on the vehicle?

Try a different oil brand first. If the sound is still there then ascertain whether there is a mechanical reason.

I doubt any amount of flush will fix a noise in a engine that's been regularly maintained...

I don't believe in oil additives as regular OCI's with a quality oil + filter combo is all you need.

As far as the ticking, Mobil 1 really isn't the best for quieting engine noises. Try a different oil + filter and see what happens. QSUD is well-regarded around here for helping with engine noises.

Last edited:
No flush should be needed. A flush could ruin the engine if it loosened enough crud to block an oil galley.

Forget additives. Use high quality synthetic oil.

Maybe a lifter is shot and needs to be replaced.

If you pulled a valve cover and verified all the sludge was very gooey, nothing hard and crusty, then Amsoil flush following their directions might be reasonable.

ARX is something else to try if you are so inclined. But its slow.

Last edited:
50k and you are using Mobil 1 ep all along those 50k? Why do you suspect sludge? Extending OCIs?

Try Pennzoil platinum or ultra or QS see if it goes away before any flushes etc

Don't ever flush an engine unless the oil pickup or other passages are clogged. Your better off letting oil work slowly and change when the filter is plugged.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Try a different oil brand first. If the sound is still there then ascertain whether there is a mechanical reason.

This. I was "sold" on M1 oils. When my Jeep developed a lifter tick I was convinced it was the engine rather than the oil. I tried everything. Marvel, Seafoam etc. only to find out a different oil quieted it right up.

Originally Posted By: Donald
No flush should be needed. A flush could ruin the engine if it loosened enough crud to block an oil galley.

If you pulled a valve cover and verified all the sludge was very gooey, nothing hard and crusty, then Amsoil flush following their directions might be reasonable.

Ha. Don't use an additive/flush but use arx or amsoil.
Absolutely hilarious. Talk about a credibility clash.

Anyways OP. Did you buy the truck new and if now how long have you owned it.
During your ownership what oils were you using and at what interval.
If you've been using M1 ep for any significant mileage then you really shouldn't have anything to clean and therefore no flush should be needed.
However if the maintenance history is in question prior to your ownership then using some mmo or seafoam for an oil change interval certainly won't hurt,if it will put your mind at ease.
As far as mmo is concerned follow the directions and shorten the interval to 3000 miles,if you're going to use seafoam add the whole can to your oil and again shorten the interval.
If you've been using synthetics though for any length of time there really shouldn't be anything to clean up though.
M1 oils will sometimes add to the acoustics if some engines. This extra noise does absolutely no harm whatsoever,it's just noise.
If you don't like the noise try a different oil.
My 04 hemi was a bit noisy on M1 afe,pp 5w-20 and eneos however it was noticeably less noisy with qsud and Quaker state defy.
Defy was the most noticeably more quiet than any other oil. I really liked it. I bought it on sale which is the only reason I grabbed it and I was very pleased with it in that hemi.
Didn't consume a drop either. Great truck,great engine. I still miss it,but my charger replaced it so the pain of loss stings less.

Just try a different oil. If your really set on some kind of flush try mmo. It will clean slowly and won't break anything loose potentially.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

This. I was "sold" on M1 oils. When my Jeep developed a lifter tick I was convinced it was the engine rather than the oil. I tried everything. Marvel, Seafoam etc. only to find out a different oil quieted it right up.

When I had a non dealer mechanic install M1 0w40 SN in my Mercedes 5.5, the sound changed during the course of the oci, especially during the first few hundred miles and in particular, there was a sewing machine noise before it settled down.

My wife was questioning me on both buying the oil and using this new mechanic.

I switched to PU 5w40 and there has been absolutely no noise. Wife trusts me this time.

I imagine the M1 0w40 may have done some cleaning before putting down an anti wear layer? (WAG I know!) That oil did seem to be very thin and it also seemed to have done a lot of cleaning when it came out.

Unless you have poored shampoo into the engine, do not worry about additives. Your engine should be perfectly clean at 50,000 miles. Is the ticking noise only during the warm up? If so, that could honestly be the oil warming up.

I have an 09 Silverado with the 6.0 engine. I could hear a tick since it was new. 70,000 miles later and the UOA's are just fine. Just so you know some of these engines have what they call piston slap. Nothing wrong with them, they can just make a bit more noise is all.

just toss 20w50 in there..

smile.gif

Do not do an engine flush. They cause much more damage than good. Many auto manufacturers have issued warnings advising owners to never perform an oil flush.

The reason is that in too many instances an oil flush may break loose large pieces of buildup, but these are not always removed from the engine during the flush process. The result is severe engine damage.

If you are still thinking about it, watch this YouTube video first.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLKNdebB6Q. Then decide.

x2
Try a SOPUS oil and see if it helps solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Do not do an engine flush. They cause much more damage than good. Many auto manufacturers have issued warnings advising owners to never perform an oil flush.

The reason is that in too many instances an oil flush may break loose large pieces of buildup, but these are not always removed from the engine during the flush process. The result is severe engine damage.

If you are still thinking about it, watch this YouTube video first.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLKNdebB6Q. Then decide.

I'd never, ever let those Iffy Lube pinheads touch my car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

Donald, in other posts you have told people to just use high quality synthetic oil and not to use oil supplements. But now you are telling people to try Amsoil flush (which is an engine cleaner) and you are telling them to use Auto-RX.

Auto-RX is an engine cleaner just like MMO and Kreen. But if anybody tries to discuss these engine cleaners you say just to use high quality synthetic motor oil.

Trav said he was able to get some cleaning done in a engine with a lot of tarnish using Mobil 1 oil. Other motor oils like Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum are supposed to be able to keep an engine clean. I think I would try those first and see what happens.

Later a person could try some MMO or Kreen with one of those motor oils, following the directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back