2010 Accord Start Up Rattle/Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accord has sat in my unheated garage for about a month. After sitting this long, I decided to take her out for spin yesterday to do some shopping.

Upon starting the car, there was a metallic rattle that lasted for about 1 second. Then went away. Drove the car all over. Started it 10 times that day, never heard it again.

After searching online, it appears that many 2008 and 2009 Accords suffer from very similar issues. The cause of the problem is a failed/failing VTC Actuator. There are videos on Youtube that record this sound, and mine sounded pretty similar to theirs.

I see nothing about 2010 Accords having this problem. But I see some CRV owners complaining about this in 2011 and 2012 vehicles.

Should I be worried or could this becaused by the car sitting for a long time and all the oil draining back to the pan? I don't know. Just an idea. Its gonna get cold here again this week. I'll take the car back out and see if it happens again.

I just didn't know if this was common with Hondas or if any other Honda owners from 2010--2013 seem to experience this as well.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would guess a oil filter with slight leak in ADBV. Not sure I would worry about it if it only lasted 1 second.

But the oil filter is vertical. The ADBV can't really leak, right?

And I can't really NOT worry about it. It was a pretty harsh metallic sound and this is my baby!!!

It almost sounded like the bendix on the started stuck.....but after hearing/watching all the Youtube videos about the VTC Actuator, I think that would be the right sound.

With the 4 cyl I think that it's more likely the VCT. There was a TSB that pertained to 08-09 but who's to say they didn't use what was in the bin on later models
smile.gif

The starter noise issue seems to related more the V6's
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75596

At any rate, it's worth looking into if it repeats.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Do you get a similar sound right after an oil/filter change?

I think I may have heard the car make the sound once before. But I can't specifically recall. However, when I started the car in my garage, it was crystal clear. So, I'll be starting it from inside the garage for a few weeks/months now....with my video recorded on.

I've only changed the oil twice now in the car. I don't recall there being any noise right after an OC.

I got about 2200 miles on this OCI...using basically a M1 0w30 mix created out of 0w20AFE and 0w40. It's also got a Napa Platinum oil filter on her.

Last edited:
I see a lot of Hondas around here with horrible sounding cold engines. So it seems like a Honda trait.
If the car was a bit older and with lots more miles I would not worry about it, but since the car is under warranty I would record it few times and go see the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would guess a oil filter with slight leak in ADBV. Not sure I would worry about it if it only lasted 1 second.

But the oil filter is vertical. The ADBV can't really leak, right?...

Wrong, even if it sits in a vertical thread end up orientation, it can still allow oil in galleries to flow back to the sump especially after sitting for an extended period of time. If the filter specs an adbv, which it does, Honda thinks it's needed for that reason.

Put it together with, sat for a month, cold temps (viscous oil), 1 second and never happened again. Occam's Razor says to me some drain back caused a brief start up rattle.

There is still a possibility its the fault of the ADBV, but it could also be the VTC actuator. I would take it in to the dealer before your warranty is up. Even if they dont find anything at least they will have your visit documented. Another question, why are you running a 0w30 oil? That can void your warranty.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I see a lot of Hondas around here with horrible sounding cold engines. So it seems like a Honda trait.
If the car was a bit older and with lots more miles I would not worry about it, but since the car is under warranty I would record it few times and go see the dealer.

People are quick to attack GM for their piston slap, but I hear a lot of Accords - both 4 and 6 cyls - that have some serious piston slap when it's cold.

I'm sure after sitting for a month it's quite possible that the oil did managed to find it's way past the ADBV.

If it does it *every* cold start, then you probably have a problem.

I wouldnt worry about 1 sec of noise esp with an engine with VCT. Have many mordern cars and they are all terribly noisey on cold start. Even after 1 day sit.

The noise CAN be a failing VTC actuator. My 2009 was not included in the VIN series of the TSB but the 2nd dealer I went to finally fixed my issue.

Here is my thread from a while back.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3177911/2

Specifically from that thread, if you look at my post (#3182464), I included the two types of grinds that my K24 emitted. The mild one it did a lot if not all the time. The loud grind it did twice and freaked me out!

Which one do you have?

This startup rattle has happend to me at one time or another with just about every car I've owned recently that sat toooo long especially in the colder temps. Regardless of filter position. And with how fast the engine will start after turing the key. The older carb'd engines would turn over several times before catching and may have been less noticable.

Originally Posted By: redhat

Which one do you have?

It's hard to say which one I had. I think it was kinda in between those two. LOL!! Honestly. The noise totally took me by surprise, so I wasn't ready for it. Hard for me to tell how loud it really was....but that is definitely the sound that it made.

I'll wait for it to do it again before I call the shop. My Honda dealer seems pretty darn good though. When I bought the car CPO, I checked the fluids when I got home and the tranny was 3/4 quart low on fluid. I topped it off and call them since they just did a tranny service on it the day I bought it. They gave me vouches for 2 free tranny services. So, I hope if I do have a problem, I think they might be cool to deal with.

Mechanical rattle for 1 second and after driving a month drive on. It could be an accessory or anything bound up besides the internals of engine.

Daily occurrence something to ponder. Good luck.

My wife's Subaru sounds like a bucket of bolts sitting a few weeks or cold start. 8yrs/164k does not seem to make any difference......

Its likely your timing chain tensioner bleeding down either from the ADBV or its own bleed down.
Regardless, its just the chain rattling around until the tensioner pumps up with oil and tightens it up again and shouldn't be hurting anything. You might try a lighter 0w-20 like is probably called for?

IME, with my long dead 'new 11 spanglish Ford ranger OHC, QSGB will give him the least racket fro the bucks. 0w will do nothing unless you are -20 or worse. Ive run a couple cases of Idemitsu(Subaru)Professional Use 0w20 and that does nothing to quell racket even though its very light 20 grade with a reasonable VI. The queitest Oil for startup Ive run is the old Rotella Triple 10w30 - but that saps power and would not run it in these winters unless garaged or pan heated.
The thin oils dont lay on and wrap around the valvetrain as nice or stay in place as well as the old distilled dino - Poor polarity and short chains with some higher groups and PAO.
VVT is just junk waiting to break on your engine. Bmw, toyota ,whatever they all fail. Bad design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
IME, with my long dead 'new 11 spanglish Ford ranger OHC

What does that mean? "Your long dead" ..... you "ruined" another car?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
VVT is just junk waiting to break on your engine.

I have a hard time accepting that. Since 1990, it's hard to find any automaker who has more cars on the road over 300k+ miles than Honda. VVT has been in Honda's hands for a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back