Got these Frams

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm not framlovingguy but picked these up at the local oriental grocery store. They went from stocking Wix to Frams and lately saw these gold cans popping up:

Fram Pro Synthetic : Fram Extra Guard - 13/16"-16 thread size, larger filter for GM LS engines.
8bOwG78.jpg

Left QR code goes to Fram's Filter Installer Program. Right QR code goes to Frams mobile site showing benefits of filter.
4NZdjcv.jpg

Gibberish
zAYBZYt.jpg

Fram Ultra without the grippy stuff
skLHKHf.jpg

Innards: The FPS/PH9837 on Frams website lists no ADBV. The FPS9837 shouldn't have it according to the website.
Hh4YTMh.jpg

Trying some iPhone5S close-up shots. Pro-tip: holding and letting go of area you want to focus locks auto-exposure and auto focus. Not having fat fingers can give a precise target for what you want to auto focus.
ctY6kon.jpg

UQAUpmS.jpg

Quote:
FRAM Pro Series features three filter choices for the professional installer. FRAM Pro Synthetic is engineered for synthetic oil with long-life protection up to 15,000 miles. FRAM Pro Plus is designed as a trade-up filter aligned with synthetic blend and premium convention oils for extended change intervals up to 10,000 miles. FRAM Pro provides a quality filter engineered for vehicles that use conventional oil with more regular change intervals of 3,000 to 5,000 miles.

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/a...onal-installers

Last edited:
Fram filters are acceptable for a reasonable OCI.

I picked up a few cases of Fram High Mileage filters, from Summit Racing, when they were on clearance couple of years ago. I've used these filters in a few neighbors auto's that need the oil changed.

People insist on the name FRAM for their oil filters. So I've helped get some of the HM filters for under $2 on clearance.

No problems to report.....the filters have held up well to NYC severe stop and go traffic for these local short trippers.

Last edited:
FRAM Pro Synthetic ?

Not a FRAM lover here either, but anybody know anything about these? or even where they are sold?

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
So theres something above fram ultra!? How much is that filter like 20 bucks?

It's the same as Ultra without SureGrip

Quote:
So theres something above fram ultra!? How much is that filter like 20 bucks?

$12 where I bought it.

Last edited:
So these are basically Frams big three without the sure grip?

Quote:
FRAM Pro - Quality filter designed for conventional oil change intervals up to 5,000 miles.

FRAM Pro Plus - Trade up filter aligned with premium conventional oil change intervals up to 10,000 miles.

FRAM Pro Synthetic - Engineered to optimize synthetic oil life with protection up to 15,000 miles.

Wonder where the Fram "core" filter you see at WalMart fits in, and if these will be showing up?

Since the sure grip is my one issue with the Ultra....

If only someone can get hands on all 3 and cut open....

An Oriental grocery store that carries car parts? I want one! But, I'm guessing that Pro=XG, Pro Plus=TG, and that Pro Synthetic looks identical to an Ultra, right down to the color.

I thought this was the start of another Fram joke..."So I got these Frams..."

The FPS looks good--how does it compare to the cost of a Fram Ultra in Oahu?

I have gone to Oahu two years in a row...love that place
cheers3.gif

I don't want to sound like one of those uniformed bashers, but I have had bad experiences with Fram filters in the past. One time I used a Fram filter (whatever one cross-references to the Motorcraft filter for my truck) on my truck, and that thing wouldn't come off at all. I've changed enough oil to know how much to tighten a filter, and that you should take some of the oil and slide it around the seal and also onto threads of the new filter before installation, which should be a big help to taking it off... Nope, not for Frams, that thing's seal must have swollen up real good cuz neither I nor my father could budge that POS. Ended up hammering a crow bar into the side of it and unscrewing it that way. One we broke it loose, we could finally get it off with our hands, and no it was not cross threaded. And it was only a 3k or 4k mile OCI.

So, are these new filters actually any better than the old ones? Or are they just re-canned and re-badged old ones?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: accent2012
Is it me or is the extra guard filter lacking a drain back valve?

Looks like I only see the cardboard element....

According to the specs it does not have one:

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=PH9837

Interestingly enough, neither does the XG9837

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG9837

Which would suggest XG9837 does not equal FPS9837 since the FPS certainly appears to have one.

These FPS filters do not come up in Frams online look up...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: accent2012
Is it me or is the extra guard filter lacking a drain back valve?

Looks like I only see the cardboard element....

Interestingly enough, neither does the XG9837

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG9837

Which would suggest XG9837 does not equal FPS9837 since the FPS certainly appears to have one.

Hmm looking at the picture on Fram's page the XG9837 appears to have one too... Description inaccurate?

The only thread I can find of an XG9837 cut open the pictures are gone from...

Last edited:
Hopefully I can clear a few things up-
I work at FRAM. The FRAM Pro series is a three filter line made for professional technicians.
The base model is identical to the 92% efficiency Ecore design we make for GM, AC Delco and many others and made for a 5k OCI
The mid level filter is internally the same as Tough Guard, with silicone ADV, 10k OCI and 99% efficiency
The filter in this posting is the top line synthetic oil filter, internally the same as FRAM Ultra with 99% efficiency, full dual layer synthetic media and rated for 15k OCI.
These filters are supposed to be sold in bulk packages for professionals only. How they ended up in Chinese grocery store in Hawaii has all of us here a bit puzzled. The filter does appear to be genuine. Interested in getting the store name from the original poster if possible [email protected]

Originally Posted By: Motorking
These filters are supposed to be sold in bulk packages for professionals only. How they ended up in Chinese grocery store in Hawaii has all of us here a bit puzzled. The filter does appear to be genuine. Interested in getting the store name from the original poster if possible [email protected]

Underground black market. I wonder if they might be counterfeit - even though they "look genuine". Would be nice to get one to Jay for ultimate inspection @ FRAM.

Anymore news about the FRAM Pro Synthetic ? I keep seeing it in Motor Age magazine.

I kinda like the looks of it without the black textured SureGrip.

productMainImage.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back