Copper on uoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have the Lab test please post so we all can make heads or tails out of it. There could be "other" factors.

Jeff

Civics dont have oil coolers unless one was added on. There is allot of info being left out here. Oil used? weight? Posting of the UOA would be of great benefit.

Jeff

Many modern engines don't have lead/copper/steel bearings anymore. But on the ones that do, you see lead go high before the wear gets to the copper layer. I usually suspect a cooler, or even oil gauge capillary tube, before I suspect bearing wear these days.

You have almost 12,000 miles on the oil and the copper is 11 parts per million? I don't think thats that high. If it were 50 that might be different.

P.S. Have you used any rtv gasket sealer in the engine or intake anywhere? Some high temp rtv has copper in it. ( Ultra copper rtv by permatex).

Last edited:
Again there's a Blackstone comment I don't understand. "Isn't a metal that normally tracks with use."

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? That would imply that they think copper reaches some equilibrium level in the oil and then doesn't keep increasing. I just don't see that- if the oil is exposed to copper, its going to leach more and more copper into solution over time and the level will go up. Unless the solubility of copper in oil is below 11 ppm. Maybe that's something that they do see, but I certainly can't think of a physical mechanism behind it.

If the Cu is coming from leaching, it does tend to level out as the copper surface becomes passivated. If it is from wear then it will trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back