how important are miles when car shoppping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found a few nice cars some are one owners but have between 170-185,000 would the miles scare you? How important are miles.

185k?

I would not even consider a car with over 75k miles, myself.

150k is usually when most cars are towards the end of their life.

Second to price, miles are the most important.

By 185K miles, you're looking at major steering/suspension work. Anything rubber like seals and gaskets are also done by then.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
185k?

This. Design life for pretty much all manufacturers is 150k. Yes there are those that can go 2-300k but those are the exception rather than the norm.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
185k?

This. Design life for pretty much all manufacturers is 150k. Yes there are those that can go 2-300k but those are the exception rather than the norm.

2-300k on a vehicle means it was very well maintained and gently driven. People do a lot in 185k to destroy a vehicle.

Miles don't scare me. If I bought a car that wasn't blatantly abused for a reasonable price, I'd have no problem going through the whole thing.

Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
What kinds of cars?

camrys and accords mostly
Im looking to spend 5000

I don't mind miles if they make sense to the rest of the purported story of how the car was used.

Conversely, I'd worry greatly about a 7 year old Prius with 35k miles. Who'd go for MPG then not use it?

If you have EZ Pass toll transponders I always like to see the velcro on the windscreen. Implies turnpike usage.

Also like seeing four name brand matching tires, but that's just gold on my price range.

High mileage is not the end all, take it on a long test drive and have a knowledgeable shop check it all out. Many vehicles now a days are capable of high mileage without lots of headache.

185k?

ive seen engines torn apart where engine still looked like new inside at 150-200,000
of course thats just the engine. But 150,000 is close to the end of life?

I don't think 150k is near the end of life. I think if you're looking for a Camry or Accord with that mileage you can expect a lot of life from their drive trains.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I don't think 150k is near the end of life. I think if you're looking for a Camry or Accord with that mileage you can expect a lot of life from their drive trains.

Based on what? These are fairly "cheap" cars that were not overbuilt. Even if a vehicle is well-maintained, it does wear out eventually. 150k is nearing that point.

Based on what? These are fairly "cheap" cars that were not overbuilt. Even if a vehicle is well-maintained, it does wear out eventually. 150k is nearing that point.

I don't know. Maybe because there have been many upon many of these "cheap" cars that have proven track records of lasting for many upon many miles.

Just because it doesn't cost as much as a BMW doesn't mean it can't keep on ticking. Also, I like how you put emphasis on the word cheap. Are you implying that since they don't cost $40k+ that they aren't built well?

Last edited:
I think the year has more to do with the condition of seals and other parts. If it has a lot of miles and they were put on quick, I wouldn't mind it. I bought a 07 with 165,000 miles. Everything is still like new. I have 02 with 125,000 and it seems like stuff is going constantly.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
What kinds of cars?

camrys and accords mostly
Im looking to spend 5000

These cars are best left to those who can afford to fix themselves and have backup transport or can afford to pay to fix them with a quality/trusty independent.

Wife owns a 2005 Legacy turbo wagon with 164,000 miles worth around $5000. We don't think twice on repairing or costs as my wife likes it and repairs although averaging about $200/month the last year. While not pleasant it does not make us worry.

It really depends on the car. Our 04 has 121k on it and still uses less than 1/4 of a quart in a 6k oil change. Same as it did when we got it with 66k almost 2 years ago. Can you say the same with another model car? I don't know. But I wouldn't think twice about doing it again in a few years when this one hits about 250k.

Last edited:

Now I heard it all....

Camry and Accord don't have to be overbuilt, they are well designed for long life; Many people don't have the option of buying a low mileage car and wouldn't hesitate at buying a well maintained 150K Camry or Accord or Civic.

Last edited:
Mileage does not worry me at all. Just have to look the thing over and go for a drive.

Most cars can go that far with ease as long as they have been somewhat taken care of.

That is where you come in. It should be obvious within the first 60 seconds if the car is in good shape or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back