2010 Camry, AMSOIL OEZ 0w-20, 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a report from a friends mom's Camry. She brings me the car when her engine maintenance light comes on, which seems to be exactly 5k miles. I just run a Purolator Classic filter in it as well as air filter. This see's country back road driving as well as some 1hr interstate runs.

Code:
No problems to report for this Camry, that's for sure. Universal averages are based on about 5,900 miles, and

the metals that showed up in these results show nothing abnormal going on in this 2.5L I-4 engine. Toyota engines

tend to wear well, and this is one is a great example. The oil was in good shape physically, containing no moisture,

fuel, or signs of coolant. The air and oil filters are working well too, as you can see with the low silicon and insolubles

levels, respectively. The TBN was good at 2.5. Looking good at 78,867 total miles!

OIL OEZ0w-20

MILES IN USE 5,242

MILES 78,867

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/17/13

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 2

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 69

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 79

SILICON 11

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 2024

MAGNESIUM 48

PHOSPHORUS 680

ZINC 752

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.1

WATER 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 415

SUS VIS 210ºF 50.0

cSt @ 212ºF 7.26

Fuel% 0

Antifreeze% 0

TBN 2.5

Quote:
She brings me the car when her engine maintenance light comes on, which seems to be exactly 5k miles.

That engine has a 10K OCI. The light is useless for oil changes.

Last edited:
Wow, one of the best UOA I've seen in a long while. The Japanese know now to build a low wearing engine.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
With TBN at 2.5 after only 5,200 miles, I don't think Amsoil OE 0w-20 can go the distance of 10k OCI.
+1. The V100 has dropped 12.5% from 8.3 to 7.26 !

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Originally Posted By: Turk
Sure is a great UOA! What Engine??
2.5L 4cyl

Is this the 1st run of Amsoil OEZ 0w-20 in this engine ?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
With TBN at 2.5 after only 5,200 miles, I don't think Amsoil OE 0w-20 can go the distance of 10k OCI.
+1. The V100 has dropped 12.5% from 8.3 to 7.26 !

Originally Posted By: Turk
Sure is a great UOA! What Engine??
2.5L 4cyl

Is this the 1st run of Amsoil OEZ 0w-20 in this engine ?

This is the third run of the OEZ.

Another option is to buy some Toyota motor oil and run it 10k miles. Misleading that the maintenance light comes on every 5k miles. Which is just a tire rotation and inspection. The Toyota dealer here charges $37 for the privilege. I told my dad to skip it at the 35k mark. Just rotate at 40k miles. Maybe teach your friend how to turn off the maintenance light if you start going 10k intervals.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Maint schedule on our camry calls for 10k intervals on 4 cyl and 5k for 6.

I'll have to let the owner know. I'm sure she will not mind going the distance since it is what the manufacture calls for.

This is the third run of the OEZ.
Either keep doing what you are or switch to different brand oil more suitable for 10k OCIs in the camry.

The maintenance lights on the Camry ( and Corolls's) is based on miles and is not an oil life monitor. The service schedule is every 5000 miles but an oil change is only specified every other interval or 1000 miles.

I've used Genuine Toyota 0W-20 and PP in my Camrys with good results.

Either of those would probably save you money.

But if you're happy with the AMSOIL, it's looks like it's performing for you.

With 5000 mile changes, I might try Havoline 5W-20 dino next.

Both my Camrys are out of warranty and I don't think they will really notice the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back