Cold start knock, which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, I'm new here but guessed it's the best place for some advice. I have a 2008 Volvo S40 D5 2.4d which has done just over 100k - the D5 engines are known to be strong but noisy.

Since changing the filter and oil to Mobil 1 5w30 I have noticed a knock from cold and generally a louder engine. Weeks after changing the oil I found out the Mobil recommendation is wrong and the correct oil spec is 0w30 for the UK. Would this cause the issues I've seen here?

I've also read that different brands of oil can give varying results with engine knocks. Can anyone recommend the best oil to use and are all oil additives worth considering?

Last edited:
Actually, Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 would be the recommended product from their line.

What have you been using?

That is the oil I used as per Mobil, however this is incorrect, the Volvo spec is 0w30, other oil manufacturers have also confirmed this.

The filter isn't OEM, the parts supplier I used was low of stock so I went for an aftermarket one.

Don't quote me, but I've heard Volvos are picky with oil filter choices.
Search around here a bit, IIRC there's a thread or two about start-up oil lights and engine knocks from cheap filters on Volvos.

I can't see how your oil choice would cause this, but I could see how a faulty filter would. First course of action should be replacing the filter.

Originally Posted By: Sug7
That is the oil I used as per Mobil

Alright -- you stated you were using "Mobil 1", which is a different product than their Mobil 3000 line.

OyGgbsi.png

Even though a 5w-30, the product I listed above is perfectly acceptable for your engine, as it's not only rated A5/B5, but notably meets Ford WSS-M2C913-D, which supersedes earlier approvals.

As mentioned by others, I'd be much more suspect of the filter.

Ahh sorry for the confusion it was defiantly the Mobil 3000 oil I used, my main question was about the fact Mobil recommend 5w30 which is wrong.

I'll look at changing to a genuine Volvo oil filter ASAP.

Ordered a genuine volvo oil filter today, as the Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W30 oil was only added 4k miles ago and ok to use I'll just swap the filter for now. Hopefully I'll hear a difference.

Last edited:
I used Mobil Super 3000 in my Mondeo tdci, Volvo V50 2.0d and my Pathfinder 2.5dci

Make sure it isn't old stock oil as Mobil Super 3000 used to be A1/B1 only and is now A5/B5 aswell.

I wouldn't hesitate in using it in a D5 but i would likely not run it past 10k.

If i was doing lots of short trips and round town use i would be looking at 7.5k changes.

The noise you are hearing could be piston slap or injector related perhaps.

I never noticed any change in engine noise in any of the engines i have used Mobil Super in.

Slight mpg improvement in the Patfinder and a CR-V cdti though.

Volvo do advise using 0w30 in the V50 2.0d is used in severe service with no reduction in oci.

Looking at the cost of 0w30 Edge i just reduced my oci on Mobil Super.

With oil filterd i always get them from EuroCarParts and generally stick to Bosch, Hengst, Mann, Blueprint or other well known brand name. I avoid cheap filters or the own brand tat at Halfords.

Last edited:
I found in my last hemi that 0w-20 oils caused a bottom end knock but moving to a 5w-20 lessened the knock and Quaker state defy 5w-20 completely eliminated it.
Maybe a high mileage oil will help. Your Volvo is high mileage.

As your car has an insert filter i am not sure what difference would occur at start up as there is no drain back valve etc.

Just filter media.

A decent quality Mann or other premium filter at Euro is around £8/9 minus current 30% discount using order code Chill30.

I have stopped using small independent motor factors for severla years now as they always seems to want to sell me some dodgy no name filter made in china for the same as an OE filter from the dealer or more than a quality filter from Euro.

The mobil oil I used was defiantly the new one as I checked for the correct ratings however I do a lot of short journeys in the week so I might look into shorter change intervals.

I replaced the oil filter with a genuine volvo one this morning hopefully this will help the cold start oil flow.

I have looked at other things to like the injectors as mentioned above. I've bought a can of Liqui Molly diesel purge and plan to run it neat through the injectors as per the guidelines. I'll also change the fuel filter to a genuine volvo one straight after the purge.

The mobil oil I used was defiantly the new one as I checked for the correct ratings however I do a lot of short journeys in the week so I might look into shorter change intervals.

I replaced the oil filter with a genuine volvo one this morning hopefully this will help the cold start oil flow.

I have looked at other things to like the injectors as mentioned above. I've bought a can of Liqui Molly diesel purge and plan to run it neat through the injectors as per the guidelines. I'll also change the fuel filter to a genuine volvo one straight after the purge.

That is a good idea to try the Liqui Moly additive. While you are at it you may want to review the full line of additives from Liqui Moly, Archoil, etc that sound impressive but I have not tried yet.

A full line of products for lawn care engines to ship engines.

Liqui Moly has been around for 60 plus years I think.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/web.n...voiladb=web.nsf

No he is just pointing out the Liqui Moly brand which is i believe a German brand with a very good rep on Bitog.

The only additive, apart from a couple of Dpf cleaners, that i use regularly is ZX1. Which is used by the British Army and also Nato. What they use it for i don't know but i assume they use it in their vehicles and not to add to coffee.

Ohh that's useful to know, I might take a look at the product range. See if I can find an oil additive to quiet down the engine, although I'm sure on the Mobil website they recommend you don't mix they're oil because it already has certain chemicals in?

Would it be ok to mix with Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE? Or would I need to change to a different oil if I wanted to mix in an additive?

I have added ZX1 to Mobil Super 3000. In my Mondeo (old formulation 3000) and my V50 with the newer one.

Never used the Mos2 additives mentiones on the forum but reports seem positive.

You can add ZX1 to the coolant apparently and i am sure you can add it to brake fluid.

You can find out more on the ZX1 website.

I've got some ZX1 to put in the oil.

The oil level is currently on the max mark of the dipstick, should I drain any off before adding the 250ml of ZX1?

I've got some ZX1 to put in the oil.

The oil level is currently on the max mark of the dipstick, should I drain any off before adding the 250ml of ZX1?

Nah. Go ahead and add it. Most cars can handle a little extra oil, and alot of people on BITOG who race will say that they actually add an extra quart to help protect from the amounts of G-force encountered in fast corners. While you obviously aren't going to go race in your car, it's only 250mL, which is only a little more than 1/4 a quart, so it's not going to hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back