Is my transmission mount bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past 2 months or so, I get a loud "clunk" every time I shift into reverse or drive. Also, I get the clunk when coasting when I apply throttle again (downshifting). I do not, however, get the clunk under normal accelerating and upshifting conditions. The sound is coming right from the transmission mount location. The other 2 mounts, which are for the engine, are spaced out pretty far from the mount I think is bad, so I don't think either of those 2 are the problem.

I haven't had a chance to listen in the engine bay while someone else engages a gear, maybe I should get around to that... but I did notice that under idle, the motor doesn't move much. I've seen other instances where someone's mounts were shot, and the motor moved around a ton just in the park gear while idling.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Is this on the Fusion?

Sorry I didn't specify... No, this is on the Sedona.

EDIT: also, I guess there is also a motor mount near the firewall as well, although the sound doesn't appear to be coming from that location.

I changed a total of 5 engine and transmission mounts of my 2006 Volvo V70 with 145k miles a couple months ago. It was loud clunk every time I shifted into reverse or drive as yours, now it's smooth and quiet.

By your description, more than likely it is the transmission mount.

Get Alldata for 26.95 per year and get all the service information you need.

FWIW, I did some work at an auto shop yesterday, and the tech was gracious enough to inspect/test all 4 mounts, and he concluded that none of them were bad, cracked, or had excess movement. As for the noise, both techs and myself concluded that the noise is barely audible from outside or underneath the vehicle. It can really only be heard inside... hmm. The one tech suggested that the noise may be internal to the transmission.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back