Any disadvantages to overusing Techron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP9

Besides the obvious one, cost, are there any known practical disadvantages (hard on seals, lower octane number, etc.) of using Techron more often than necessary? Not necessarily in a stronger dose than the usual 1 oz : 1 gal, but using it, say, every 1000 or 2000 miles in an engine and fuel system that is relatively clean or believed to be so.

Well, I understand that over use can cause fuel dilution in the oil. Which is why it is recomended that Techron be used once per OCI.

Originally Posted By: AP9
Besides the obvious one, cost, are there any known practical disadvantages (hard on seals, lower octane number, etc.) of using Techron more often than necessary? Not necessarily in a stronger dose than the usual 1 oz : 1 gal, but using it, say, every 1000 or 2000 miles in an engine and fuel system that is relatively clean or believed to be so.

Why not use a maintenence dose of 0.1 oz : 1.0 gal? This is one tenth the dose used for cleaning and is about the same as the level of Techron in Chevron's pump gas - should be safe, right?

thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
Thank you for the inquiry. There is no need to change your vehicle's oil after using the Techron Concentrate Plus (TCP). However, Chevron does recommend that you use no more than 5 treatments of the TCP per oil change.

With the use of the TCP there is a concentration of the product in your gas tank which is at least 10 times higher than what is in the gasoline itself. This higher dosage might create the chance that some of the product will manage to get into the oil crankcase and react with certain oil additives therein or dilute the oil itself. This is the main reason for the limitation of use - customers would not want to "overdose" and cause an unsatisfactory amount of the product to be diluting the oil. The directions for use are such that any dilution that might occur would not be a problem.

Again, It makes no difference if you add the Techron Concentrate before or after the oil change.

Regards,
Chevron Fuels Technical Services

Why not just follow the 1 bottle every 3000 miles as written on the label? Chevron wrote it there for a reason.

Last edited:
Wow, are you saying they should follow MANUFACTURER DIRECTIONS?

What a novel concept, and one more people should TRY to follow!

Good post, mclasser!

Originally Posted By: AP9

Well, I started using Techron once every oil service...then after a while two or three times. Before I knew it...I was unable to leave the house without adding a bottle. Then I had a few times where I added too much and blacked out. But lucky for me my wife got all my friends and family and our minister together and surprised me with a meeting one night about my Techron problem.

I'm happy to say I have been Techron free for 187 days and I seem like I got my life back. My Boss at work is nicer to me now and my hands don't shake as much as the did when I first quit. I think if I can stay away from this stuff for another few months I'll have this Techron issue beat. Of course I'll never be able to go into an AAP or Autozone alone again...but that is a small price to pay for your happiness.

You guys wouldn't happen to know where a guy could get a can of Gumout would you?

If you're regularly using a high detergent gasoline, what purpose would it serve?

I've got a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus just sort of sitting there. I generally use a high detergent gas, but sometimes I find that the prices at gas stations with basic detergent levels (like Valero of Costco stations without the Clean Power signs) are convenient and I'll add a little bit of Red Line SI-1 I keep in my car.

I've also got bottles of Pro-Gard I got on special at Costco, but I'm not sure how to use that. I was thinking maybe split into two bottles and use a half bottle as a maintenance dose if I'm unsure about the detergent level of the gas I buy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
Thank you for the inquiry. There is no need to change your vehicle's oil after using the Techron Concentrate Plus (TCP). However, Chevron does recommend that you use no more than 5 treatments of the TCP per oil change.

With the use of the TCP there is a concentration of the product in your gas tank which is at least 10 times higher than what is in the gasoline itself. This higher dosage might create the chance that some of the product will manage to get into the oil crankcase and react with certain oil additives therein or dilute the oil itself(a). This is the main reason for the limitation of use - customers would not want to "overdose" and cause an unsatisfactory amount of the product to be diluting the oil. The directions for use are such that any dilution that might occur would not be a problem.

Again, It makes no difference if you add the Techron Concentrate before or after the oil change(b).

Regards,
Chevron Fuels Technical Services

If (a) is true then (b) is not correct. To be safe I added TCP a couple tanks before oil change.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Well, I started using Techron once every oil service...then after a while two or three times. Before I knew it...I was unable to leave the house without adding a bottle. Then I had a few times where I added too much and blacked out. But lucky for me my wife got all my friends and family and our minister together and surprised me with a meeting one night about my Techron problem.

I'm happy to say I have been Techron free for 187 days and I seem like I got my life back. My Boss at work is nicer to me now and my hands don't shake as much as the did when I first quit. I think if I can stay away from this stuff for another few months I'll have this Techron issue beat. Of course I'll never be able to go into an AAP or Autozone alone again...but that is a small price to pay for your happiness.

You guys wouldn't happen to know where a guy could get a can of Gumout would you?

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back