Chevron 80w90 GL-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to check a small 110 gallon bulk tank of gear oil for contaminants. Here are the results.
4_8090_gl511_1.jpg

Last edited:
I hope to have a UOA of this stuff out of a 2005 S2000 Torsen differential next year.

Not a lot of miles (around 10,000-12,000), but hopefully it will show a trend as this is a somewhat severe application for a 90 weight gear oil.

Are these V40C and V100C cSt's typical for 80w-90 gear oils?

I like conventional gear oils, so that's a plus.

"Looking forward to seeing your UOA Bror."

Thanks, so am I.

The car was driven hard this year. The ~4,000 miles in 2013 included 2 days of mostly hard driving hooning it up with other S2000 owners in this region. Add in one SCCA solo racing event in October. Yeah, you could say the car got a good workout.

I'll be changing the engine oil early in the year and will do a UOA (Pennzoil Ultra). The gear oil UOA will come at the end of this season after more hard driving days and at least a couple more SCCA events.

Gear oils have emulsifier additives to take care of moisture.

But since differentials are subject to water spray and immersion, this warning simply says the emulsifiers are only capable of handling so much moisture before fluid degradation sets in.

There are two EP adds in this fluid, one is the conventional S-P component and the other is the potassium borate for the two extreme temperature regimes of operation.

Last edited:
Here is some of the Chevron GL-5 with a little water.
A small 65 gallon sump on a pump.

4_pump_gear_1_1.jpg

4_pump_gear_2_1.jpg

4_pump_gear_3_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back