5,000 mile itch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hit 5,000 mile mark on my fill of PP in my Buick, my wrenching hand is fighting my brain! It's been in service since 6-1-13, trying to make it a year for uoa to verify TBN and the usual check for coolant.

Got my Fram Ultra oversized 3980 waiting if I can make it to 10k which is my goal. Probably going with PU or PP again.

Just changed mine here...though it was only around 5500 miles. With the crazy winter so far and another cold snap ahead, I decided not to take chances just in case. (olm @ 26%) Thinking I could have gone longer, just not sure how much (nor was I going to sample it in the cold either...

Mine was last changed 6/20....not far from yours...

I have very high idle time on my car I averaged 12 mpg last tank my average city tank is about 15 mpg, I am very interested to see if fuel dilution is going to be an issue in the future.

I get the itch more often than not. Something so satisfying about putting fresh oil in your engine. I typically use conventional for that purpose, it's much cheaper. Winter time I use synthetic for flow properties and man, it's an itch. I just drained Catrol Titanium - a 15k oil - at 6200 miles. I feel so dirty. Yet so clean at the same time... I scratched the itch!

Can't wait to see if i get a good iron count on my UOA with my filter mag, last oci I had small amounts of shiny sparkles, another reason I want to UOA among the TBN interest and you never know about coolant on a GM v6.

I can make it to 6k before the jitters start to hit me! I'm at 5700 in the Camry and the odometer has begun to "call me"
cry.gif
I'm hanging tough! but it's 40F for Sat n Sun here before the artic air drops in again....the horror!

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Resist the urge - Go buy and install a new PCV valve instead !!

Already did that a few months ago. Not much left to do except but my new fuel filter on and the snow just keeps hitting the ground and never get a day off!

Dang I thought my itch was bad. My PYB currently has about 4000 miles on it. It was last serviced in November when i had the RMS replaced. I have yet to change my own oil since I have become a member of this site.
cry.gif

Forget the oil change and go ahead and rotate the tires and check air pressure in the spare as well. It will take you longer, you can scratch that itch, and it will be beneficial for long tire life too.

I feel your pain. "Thunder the Wonder Pig" just rolled over 3,000 miles since last change in October of 2013 and the "Bluesmobile" is just short of 2,000 miles since Feb. of 2013. I've got three gallons of Delo 15W40 sitting on my workbench in the garage. Filters for both cars are out, wrenches, drain pan. And it's going to be such a pretty day today. . . . .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Resist the urge - Go buy and install a new PCV valve instead !!

What about those that don't have a PCV valve? Just kidding around here, but my 2013 5.3L has a permanent connector for the PCV. There is no PCV valve that needs replacing anymore.

Though I had to break old habits of 3000 mile oil changes on my personal vehicles, it wasn't near the withdrawal syndrome for me since it has been common to take commercial engines out beyond 20,000 miles before oil changes. Taking my pickup out to typical OLM distances of around 7000+ for me did not cause me to lose any sleep.

Change it! you know you want too! I do 5K oil changes on my 08 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6 v6, could care less about all the oil testing, not a fan of extended oil changes and all the tree huggers crying foul
crackmeup2.gif

You know what you could do is drain a quart.

I figure the dirtiest oil is the oil in the very bottom of the sump. Water should accumulate there as well because it's heavier than oil.

So drain a quart and add a fresh quart with fresh additives and you'll feel better about it.

BTW you could do it when the oil's cold, the bad stuff will settle out that way.

Last edited:
Doubt i could drain just a quart without a Fumoto valve. Also if i am going to the trouble of driving it up on ramps, i am draining it all.

I think i am going to wait it out, when i get a little extra money from my tax return in Feb-March i will probably change it then, and will have about 7,000 miles on it, which should be a good baseline UOA for my TBN.

Wait a year - with PP, you'll be fine. Just keep it topped off. A little fuel dilution won't hurt it, it doesn't hurt taxi cabs and they idle all day...on non synthetic oil.

At least you can make to 5,000 miles!! I get the itch every 3,000!!! I haven't had the grace and pleasure of changing my own oil on this car because the deals I get at Firestone make it so irresistible. I mean Kendall syn blend SN at 19.99 with filter and multipoint/battery check!!
smile.gif

I want to do an extended OCI, but at the same time, I don't want to get any questions from Hyundai in case anything EVER goes wrong and I need warranty work.

Last edited:
It helps that I live in an apartment complex with a no vehicle maintenance policy, so I have to make plans to use a buddies driveway if I have something I have to work on. I am looking for a house to rent though and definitely want a garage.

I have done the occasional ninja in the dark transmission fluid exchange with a vacuum pump when I needed to.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It helps that I live in an apartment complex with a no vehicle maintenance policy, so I have to make plans to use a buddies driveway if I have something I have to work on. I am looking for a house to rent though and definitely want a garage.

I have done the occasional ninja in the dark transmission fluid exchange with a vacuum pump when I needed to.

The current mismanagers of my complex have a similar restriction -- the lease even says "no washing" of your vehicle. However, they're closed on Sat. & Sun., and can't watch us every minute. (Surveillance cameras, you say? Uh . . .)

That said, I do change air filter and PCV valve. To change my oil on the Park Avenue and now the Regal would take buying ramps, positioning them at the curb, getting the car up onto them, etc. It's been simpler to let my regular mechanic do it -- and now, while I have the 2 years of "free" oil changes on the '11 Regal, the dealer.

It's been over 6 years since I've changed my own oil. >

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back