by Mfrank84
Today at 09:13 AM
Four Baldwin BT223 oil filters
by NormanBuntz
Today at 09:13 AM
UOA: 02 WRX 5MT, 40K - Valvoline "cocktail" 80w90
by Buffman
Today at 08:37 AM
Help me select the correct Dex/Merc fluid.
by reemoe2
Today at 08:03 AM
IIHS crash testing on small cars
by Hokiefyd
Today at 07:58 AM
Havoline Conventional 5w20, thoughts?
by wemay
Today at 07:35 AM
Powerful car crusher..
by pbm
Today at 07:18 AM
Air / oil separator. . . .
by Robster
Today at 07:17 AM
Newest Members
StephenSanchez, Tony05, sacamano, handy, amber
50800 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (4wheeldog, 05LGTLtd, 97tbird, 123Saab, A_Harman, 9 invisible), 2092 Guests and 232 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
50800 Members
64 Forums
217035 Topics
3417242 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#3250400 - 01/16/14 03:35 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: doitmyself]
grampi Offline

Loc: OH
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It doesn't seem that pulling off the road to use the cell phone is a viable option in the city and suburbs. Could you imagine the traffic snarls and probably increased accidents if everyone did that?

I don't know how we can move backwards regarding the masses thinking they need to be constantly connected to everyone 24/7.

I dislike increased gov't. regulations, but at the same time our nation is unable to act responsibly. I don't see how the problem can be resolved without initiating laws.

Bingo! People complain about there being too much big brothering, but they continue doing stupid and dangerous things (like doing anything with cell phones while driving), then wonder why there's laws made against it...like I keep saying, as long as people continue to be too stupid to do the right things on their own, there will continue to be laws against those stupid things...

#3251332 - 01/17/14 03:17 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
TiredTrucker Offline

Loc: Kellogg, IA
But my contention has always been, there have been laws on the books for decades against distracted driving. Piling on texting and cell phone bans will do nothing to curb the activity. It is only after the fact that anything can be charged. What piling on law after law does is allow the powers that be to stack charges against someone in the hopes that one will stick. And the prime interest is revenue collection. After all, even if any fine was assessed and collected, the victim, if there is one, would not get a penny of it. The almighty state or local government would pocket it. It isn't like the fines collected for these types of things are directed to improving driver education on the dangers. Nor is it earmarked for victim assistance. It is just dumped into the coffers of government to be spent on any number of little pet projects. Or better yet, to enhance LE ability to collect even more revenue.

Cynical? You bet. I question, anymore, all of these feel all warm and fuzzy things that agencies will promote. I see little evidence that government actually cares like they promote. And a lot of what is fostered in the name of public safety, has nothing to do with public safety. After all, they do not even apply laws equally. What is the fine for texting by the common motorist? Surely nothing near the fine a commercial trucker gets... $2750.00 per occurrence. Yet the government's own statistics shows that at least 80% of all accidents between auto drivers and commercial truck drivers are the direct fault of the auto driver. There is more than ample evidence of things like traffic citation cameras being used soley to fund things that have nothing to do with public safety. Cell phone laws, texting laws, seat belt laws, almost always are instituted with the same outcome in mind. A classic example is LE's DARE programs. There is reams of evidence that it does nothing to curb drug use, and the DARE letters themselves are a common joke among many young people. The like to call it Drug Availability and Resource Education.

#3251352 - 01/17/14 03:39 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
daze Offline

Loc: texas
It should be against the law and $500 min. fine. I live in DFW metroplex and do not use phone while driving except for GPS. In the past 3 yrs, I've had to avoid idiots driving and texting more than a dozen times. Thinking about getting a tank with huge guards front/back and not swerving to avoid them anymore! Throw their butts in jail along with fine and they'll change their habits.

#3251698 - 01/17/14 10:23 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
TiredTrucker Offline

Loc: Kellogg, IA
First, there isn't enough LEO's to effectively enforce such a law, and it can only be charged after the fact like an accident. No need for such a law. Distracted driving is already on the books in almost every jurisdiction in the U.S. Maybe up the fine. Passing a new law about texting or phone use just allows LE to stack the charges. Hit the person with distracted driving charge, cell phone use while operating charge, and anything else they can dream up. let's just keep those laws coming, boys and girls, to make us safe from ourselves, which they will never do. But it makes some politician brownie points come election time that he is doing something to address the problem. Yet, after all the laws that have been passed regarding seat belts, texting, cell phone use, and even tacking on $2750 fines for commercial drivers..... it still goes on every day. I rack up an average of 2500 miles a week and see it all around me like there are no laws at all. I can see right down into those cars that pass me and see them texting away like there is no tomorrow.

#3251891 - 01/18/14 07:57 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: TiredTrucker]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
First, there isn't enough LEO's to effectively enforce such a law, and it can only be charged after the fact like an accident. No need for such a law. Distracted driving is already on the books in almost every jurisdiction in the U.S. Maybe up the fine. Passing a new law about texting or phone use just allows LE to stack the charges. Hit the person with distracted driving charge, cell phone use while operating charge, and anything else they can dream up. let's just keep those laws coming, boys and girls, to make us safe from ourselves, which they will never do. But it makes some politician brownie points come election time that he is doing something to address the problem. Yet, after all the laws that have been passed regarding seat belts, texting, cell phone use, and even tacking on $2750 fines for commercial drivers..... it still goes on every day. I rack up an average of 2500 miles a week and see it all around me like there are no laws at all. I can see right down into those cars that pass me and see them texting away like there is no tomorrow.

You make some very good points, and I agree, most laws today in reality are not made with public safety in mind, they are simply there to generate revenue...so I have come up with a new idea to combat the cell phone use while driving that's taken over the country...pass a law that mandates factory installing a device on all cell phones that renders them as inoperable while in a vehicle with the ignition on...

Edited by grampi (01/18/14 07:57 AM)

#3251951 - 01/18/14 09:15 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
whip Offline

Loc: ohio
When reading threads like this, it always amazes me to see the things people want outlawed. Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that some people want pot legalized, but cell phones outlawed?

#3252152 - 01/18/14 02:23 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: whip]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: whip
When reading threads like this, it always amazes me to see the things people want outlawed. Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that some people want pot legalized, but cell phones outlawed?

Did you ever think that's because people using cell phones while driving is like a million times more dangerous than smoking pot is?

#3252165 - 01/18/14 02:47 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
silverrat Online   content

Loc: Ontario
Pretty sure you can't smoke pot while driving either?

#3252352 - 01/18/14 06:42 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: silverrat]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Who said anything about smoking pot WHILE DRIVING? You ASSUMED that...you know what they say about assuming...

Edited by grampi (01/18/14 06:43 PM)

#3252369 - 01/18/14 06:53 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
Johnny2Bad Offline

Loc: Canada
In my jurisdiction there is a system where they track cellphone use via Teleco records when there is an accident. They have about three years of data.

For the accidents where they have confirmed data (time of call / text and time of accident vs. BAC which is tested either at the time of the accident or post-mortem) in fatal accidents, the accident rate is higher for cell use than for Impaired Driving. The stats also are consistent with ordinary accidents not involving injury (cell use more likely to be a contributing factor than impairment).

There is also a caveat that not all cell data can be cross-referenced in every case while all BAC data is confirmed, so the incidents are technically higher than the data suggests.

Texting is particularly implicated, but talking has a significant minority occurrence. There is little difference between hands-free and hand-held calls.
2001 PT Cruiser Mobil1 0W-40

#3252446 - 01/18/14 08:25 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: TiredTrucker]
Garak Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
But my contention has always been, there have been laws on the books for decades against distracted driving.

That's quite true, but one also has to look at the ease in obtaining convictions (and in being able to make a defence). Does using a cell phone while driving automatically mean someone is driving "without due care and attention" as per this jurisdiction's wording for distracted driving? On the other hand, using a cell phone while driving is contrary to the law against using a cell phone while driving - end of discussion.

I don't like to see a bunch of "extra" laws, either, but if one is really picky, one could wipe out 95% of every jurisdiction's traffic code and charge just about everything as driving without due care and attention. If you run a red light, you're either driving intentionally dangerously (dangerous driving) or you weren't paying attention. Same goes for failing to signal, tailgaiting, unsafe loads, failure to yield. So, tear up the traffic code and have four offences: Dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention, impaired driving, and speeding. All else is really fluff, isn't it? But, those who would wish to simplify things to such a point should be relegated to prosecuting offences. wink

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#3252481 - 01/18/14 08:49 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
Blkstanger Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I live in Southern California. People constantly cut me off and slow traffic because they are talking on the phone. I hate it. If I need to talk I pullover and do it. IMHO they need to up the fine by about 10Xs. That might slow them down a little.

#3252529 - 01/18/14 09:26 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: dernp]
wrcsixeight Offline

Loc: california
I was visiting with my sister a few weeks back and one day she comes in complaining how every single driver between A and B was texting and weaving all over the road.

Then we go out to the store together, and her phone rings and she is weaving and distracted and I keep having to point out when the lights turn green, watch out for this person entering the road, ect. If that Phone beeped, rang, alit, it was instantly in hand in front of face no matter the situation.

It infuriated me, and I let her know it. She tried to restrain herself from that point, but she could not possible wait to read or respond to a text at the first opportunity. Her attempted restraint was probably more distracting than if she had just got it out of her system

I also live in S. California. It seems to be mandatory that every woman has her sparkly accessorized smart phone in jewel encrusted paw when driving anywhere. AT no time at any redlight is moment wasted by actually looking out the windows at one's surroundings.

Humans by and large are so contemptible. Texting drivers are like the house cat which insists on putting its anus in your face.

#3252601 - 01/18/14 11:06 PM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
silverrat Online   content

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: silverrat

Who said anything about smoking pot WHILE DRIVING? You ASSUMED that...you know what they say about assuming...

It was in response to the wording of this post

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that some people want pot legalized, but cell phones outlawed?

I guess you assumed wrong

#3252698 - 01/19/14 06:57 AM Re: Cell phone/driving: an officer's view [Re: grampi]
whip Offline

Loc: ohio
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: whip

Did you ever think that's because people using cell phones while driving is like a million times more dangerous than smoking pot is?

Sure.

I'm fascinated by your logic. It seems if something inconveniences or impacts you in a negative way, you want more regulations to control it. Things like cell phones and semi trucks. For things you enjoy, you want less regulation. I'm curious how far this logic goes.

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >