PP & PU being combined into a new oil.... PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volk06
I was searching the shell EPC to see if I could find any new pds on PYB due to the recent PQIA results with the super low NOACK. They had new MSDS listed but no TDS for an oil called Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Motor oil. It lists GTL as the base oil as well (fisher-tropsch derived). The dates are 12/22/13 so there are less than a month old! Looks like they are combining the PP and PU line up or they are going to be putting the same product in different bottles. They have 0w20, 0w40, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 weights. Thoughts??

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658892.PDF
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658646.PDF
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658650.PDF
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658891.PDF

I just noticed another new group of oils with the same date and no TDS, just MSDS. It's called Pennzoil Platinum Euro.
Euro 0w-40
Euro AV 5w-30
Euro L 5w-30
Euro 5w-30
Euro 5w-40

Good finds volk06 and Lotl. Thanks!

I just have to say all this brand vacillation by Shell is exceedingly stupid. I have no problem with their product(s), but the all the name changing confuses people and can cast doubts on the product. So, Ultra was once Pennzoil's premier oil. Now it appears that Platinum is, which was originally a "lesser" oil. To some, that might suggest there was a problem with Ultra and Shell had to pull it off the market. Maybe that seemingly impossibly low NOACK caused some disastrous side effect elsewhere?

Understand, I'm not saying that's the situation. All I know is that most people don't know squat about automotive fluids. Shell is confusing these people. No wonder Mobil 1 is the number one selling brand of synthetic oil in the US.

With all due respect, we got a post from a Shell representative. But, her comments were nothing more than marketing mumbo-jumbo. To say that "The new offering from Pennzoil is one that will be sure to change the motor oil landscape as we know it and we hope it will excite everyone in the industry."

"Change the motor oil landscape as we know it......." Right..... Unless I never have to change my oil again because it reconstitutes itself to like new condition while it sits in the crankcase at night, Shell has not changed the motor oil landscape as we know it.

IMO, all Shell has done is try to correct a brand labeling problem that they created. So they've come up with Platinum/Ultra, while at the same time incorporated GTL technology into their products in a more coherent fashion. They are not "changing the oil industry as we know it".

I'm surprised so many people here have "drunk the koolaide". IMO, there is nothing new here other than the name. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

I just have to say all this brand vacillation by Shell is exceedingly stupid. I have no problem with their product(s), but the all the name changing confuses people and can cast doubts on the product. So, Ultra was once Pennzoil's premier oil. Now it appears that Platinum is, which was originally a "lesser" oil. To some, that might suggest there was a problem with Ultra and Shell had to pull it off the market. Maybe that seemingly impossibly low NOACK caused some disastrous side effect elsewhere?

Understand, I'm not saying that's the situation. All I know is that most people don't know squat about automotive fluids. Shell is confusing these people. No wonder Mobil 1 is the number one selling brand of synthetic oil in the US.

With all due respect, we got a post from a Shell representative. But, her comments were nothing more than marketing mumbo-jumbo. To say that "The new offering from Pennzoil is one that will be sure to change the motor oil landscape as we know it and we hope it will excite everyone in the industry."

"Change the motor oil landscape as we know it......." Right..... Unless I never have to change my oil again because it reconstitutes itself to like new condition while it sits in the crankcase at night, Shell has not changed the motor oil landscape as we know it.

IMO, all Shell has done is try to correct a brand labeling problem that they created. So they've come up with Platinum/Ultra, while at the same time incorporated GTL technology into their products in a more coherent fashion. They are not "changing the oil industry as we know it".

I'm surprised so many people here have "drunk the koolaide". IMO, there is nothing new here other than the name. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Scott

Bingo! PP an PU are probably the same product as of right now. Can't prove it but we all know shell doesn't like to waste packaging and labeling. Youre right, not much is changing. Just a new name and renaming of the same oils but with some GTL base stocks. I'll be curious what the additive packages look like, if they even changed those.

Bingo! PP an PU are probably the same product as of right now. Can't prove it but we all know shell doesn't like to waste packaging and labeling. Youre right, not much is changing.

I wager we won't see the new labels until at least a year after the official announcement. Oddly enough, and probably coincidentally, Walmart dropped the price of QSUD and PP (though I'm not sure since they have two different shelf tags), along with M1 on a semi-permanent basis, by about $10 a jug, which is a big deal here. We do have the new label QSUD already, but perhaps they want to push through some PP.

Walmarts here just don't devote the shelf space to oil to satisfy our wants. Castrol monopolizes the heck out of shelf space up here.

Change the motor oil landscape as we know it......." Right..... Unless I never have to change my oil again because it reconstitutes itself to like new condition while it sits in the crankcase at night, Shell has not changed the motor oil landscape as we know it.

The fact the are making a full synthetic oil using was was until a few years ago a waste product burned of at the refineries makes me believe they already did this a couple of years ago.
Its just getting people to understand they not have the superior product but a more environmentally friendly derived one as well.
IMHO the company has done a phenomenal job with their product now its marketings turn to carry the water.

One of the very few true synthetic oil under $10 a quart. Call me a Koolaide drinker if you want, it taste great.

Fischer-Tropsch derived base oil, consisting largely of branched, cyclic and linear hydrocarbons having carbon numbers in the range of C18 to C50.
Highly refined mineral oils and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains span> (w/w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent

Originally Posted By: Garak
Bingo! PP an PU are probably the same product as of right now. Can't prove it but we all know shell doesn't like to waste packaging and labeling. Youre right, not much is changing.

I wager we won't see the new labels until at least a year after the official announcement. Oddly enough, and probably coincidentally, Walmart dropped the price of QSUD and PP (though I'm not sure since they have two different shelf tags), along with M1 on a semi-permanent basis, by about $10 a jug, which is a big deal here. We do have the new label QSUD already, but perhaps they want to push through some PP.

Walmarts here just don't devote the shelf space to oil to satisfy our wants. Castrol monopolizes the heck out of shelf space up here.

I saw that yesterday. 10 bucks a jug less. I've seen the new Quaker state package starting around a month ago,I haven't noticed if pp changed though.
If these are their new everyday prices I wonder if when the have a rollback if the sale price will be less too.
Not like I need to buy more oil anyways.

I won't count on the sale price being less than before, but those new prices are basically tolerable. That puts their regular price (if it remains such) a hair above Canadian Tire's sale prices. But, then the same Walmart has a giant stack of PYB for $26 a jug clogging up the center aisle. Brilliant.

If marketing can tell the story well enough, then SOPUS has an oil that should do very well.
GTL Grp III basestocks really do represent a change in the motor oil landscape since they offer some very desirable properties at a very resonable cost.
These must be fairly cheap basestocks since they seem to be showing up in the most unlikely products.
This has the potential to render Grp IV basestocks as we've known them obsolete and will leave others scrambling to build their own GTL facilities in lands where natural gas is plentiful and local demand is only a little more than zero.
It'd be interesting to see PQIA style VOAs of current Defy and QSUD oils given the results seen with QSGB and PYB.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
...will leave others scrambling to build their own GTL facilities in lands where natural gas is plentiful...

Yeah, like the USA, right? Usher in an era of high-quality motor oils for all, at affordable prices. All it'll take is to shove aside a few troublesome government regulations.

If SOPUS stops selling Ultra I will certainly switch brands. I called SOPUS on several occasions including e-mails and was assured that Ultra was here to stay. If a company lacks veracity I will no longer use their product.

Many of my friends and family use SOPUS based on my recommendations. Disappointed in SOPUS. I will wait..........

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Their mailing address is just a small office building so I presume the lab is elsewhere. Unless they cram a lot of test equipment into a little office. It's down the street from a pub so maybe PU testing and a pint of Guinness!

Hmmm. Tom NJ?!
grin2.gif
11.gif

-Dennis

PQIA utilizes highly reputable ISO accredited laboratories for its analyses.

Happy to meet you at the pub anytime for a beer!

Tom NJ

ISO does not accredit laboratories, they provide standards.

Laboratories are certified by various organizations depending upon the analyses they run. The certifications are renewed on an annual basis.

I just have to say all this brand vacillation by Shell is exceedingly stupid. ...[/b]

Scott

Bingo! PP an PU are probably the same product as of right now. Can't prove it but we all know shell doesn't like to waste packaging and labeling. Youre right, not much is changing. Just a new name and renaming of the same oils but with some GTL base stocks. I'll be curious what the additive packages look like, if they even changed those.

There is always way less packaging than base stocks on hand at the blender. The blender just blends and packages whatever the customer wants/specs in customer packaging. Many oils use the exact same base. It's not like PU and PP definately have different bases or are different bases from a multitude of other oils.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch

Laboratories are certified by various organizations depending upon the analyses they run. The certifications are renewed on an annual basis.

That is correct (I managed Quality and R&D labs). I use the term "ISO accredited lab" to refer to a lab that has been certified to ISO standards.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch

That is correct (I managed Quality and R&D labs). I use the term "ISO accredited lab" to refer to a lab that has been certified to ISO standards.

Tom NJ

Sounds good. Glad we got some lab guys in here!

I was searching the shell EPC to see if I could find any new pds on PYB due to the recent PQIA results with the super low NOACK. They had new MSDS listed but no TDS for an oil called Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Motor oil. It lists GTL as the base oil as well (fisher-tropsch derived). The dates are 12/22/13 so there are less than a month old! Looks like they are combining the PP and PU line up or they are going to be putting the same product in different bottles. They have 0w20, 0w40, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 weights. Thoughts??

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658892.PDF
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658646.PDF
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658650.PDF
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00658891.PDF

I'm more inclined to think that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the new name for Pennzoil Ultra (synthetic GTL base oil) and the Pennzoil Platinum (synthetic-hydrocarbon Group III base oil) will remain as usual. If they discontinue the Pennzoil Platinum line, it'll certainly be surprising. I would surely like to see GTL replacing Group III in their mainstream synthetic oil though if that actually happens.

Since GTL appears to have replaced Grp II in QSGB and PYB, I'd say that it's already replaced Korean Grp III in PP, QSUD and maybe Defy.
We don't have current PQIA quality VOAs for anything other than QSGB and PYB, so I'm only speculating.

I think it's really a lot simpler than all of the comments so far:

Pennzoil Platinum - exists
Pennzoil Ultra - exists
Pennzoil Platinum Ultra - exists (5w-30 automotive diesel oil)
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - how could we have missed that one! Call the label printers, quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back