PYB or MS5k ? Wallyworlds many choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Just felt like askin what cheapo dino some of you prefer. I can get the good old pyb at my wallymart for $16.50. It just went up a buck. I can still get the mobil super 5000 for $14.xx I have used and loved pyb in my truck but have never tried ms5k. Im sure ill never notice any differences between the two. What do you all prefer.
Prices are for 5qt jugs

P.S. Im done with synthetics because i like chaning my oil and i dont put many miles on in a year anyway.

Last edited:
Know what you mean about choices. I stood in the aisle 15 minutes today trying to figure out what to buy. Bought my third choice...got home, decided to use something from my stash and will probably take back what I bought.

I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand Dino these days. Use what makes you happiest, shows the best UOAs for your ride.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Hey everyone. Just felt like askin what cheapo dino some of you prefer. I can get the good old pyb at my wallymart for $16.50. It just went up a buck. I can still get the mobil super 5000 for $14.xx I have used and loved pyb in my truck but have never tried ms5k. Im sure ill never notice any differences between the two. What do you all prefer.
Prices are for 5qt jugs

P.S. Im done with synthetics because i like chaning my oil and i dont put many miles on in a year anyway.

I remember reading a while back the Mobil Super oil was kind of a sub par oil. Don't get me wrong Im sure your engine wont grenade.. and im sure there are worse oils out there. Might very well be wrong though. Personally I would use PYB because you have had good experience with it previously. Plus im a huge PYB fan.

But if money was tight for me I would use Mobil Super without hesitation.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
PYB since they are secretly adding GTL base oils into it.

X2! Resisted the urge to pick some up today. May not be able to resist next time.

Also they might be adding Gtl only to 5w20 since it's harder to meet the NOACK requirements with a 5w20 vs 5w30. I can assume they are putting it in both if at all if it's available and since they just raised the price it seems likely.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I remember reading a while back the Mobil Super oil was kind of a sub par oil.

Sub-par? As compared to what? I ran it for 10K and it could have probably gone to 12K. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and it can stand toe-to-toe with any conventional and some synthetics. I saw no difference between MS5K SN and PU SM...

I gave up on "choices". I have decided to use my shop's bulk 5w30. Gulfpride semi-synthetic. No oil has given me a quieter engine in my Trailblazer. I also had a Tucson that hadn't had an oil change in 11k come through the shop. One day after an oil change with our bulk, it was smoking out of the tailpipe on startup. We found nothing wrong, no codes. We suspected a sludged motor. Upon draining the oil, the one day old oil had dropped a ton of sludge in the pan. We cleared the sludge and refilled the oil. Vehicle was fine. The point being, Gulf makes some highly detergent oil.

I'm trying to stay away from wally a bit now a days. id I were you I'd go to Kmart and get some Quaker state dino, should be $12.99 on sale rite now n puro classic n pure1 there as well.

My suggestion if you're shopping at Walmart would be Supertech. You've alluded to the fact that your OCIs are conservative, and Supertech 5 gallon jugs are less expensive than both choices you mentioned. It's also very decent oil.

PYB. Both are fantastic at wear protection but I'm not all that keen on the add packs that use sodium these days, and MS is one of them that does.

Sodium from Castrol HM and Maxlife was still showing up in my UOA's 3/4 changes later. Takes forever to get it out of there and it makes detecting coolant a bit more difficult.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Both are fantastic at wear protection but I'm not all that keen on the add packs that use sodium these days, and MS is one of them that does.

Any particular reason?

You know a few years back I seem to remember that there was some suspicion that Walmart had somehow acquired phony branded oil. Counterfeit bottles or something.

I was changing my oil yesterday and I noticed the Mobil 1 bottle mentions Walmart on the bottle, like they get their own special batch or something. Do they have it made to order just for Walmart?

Padawan said:
My suggestion if you're shopping at Walmart would be Supertech. You've alluded to the fact that your OCIs are conservative, and Supertech 5 gallon jugs are less expensive than both choices you mentioned. It's also very decent oil.[/quot

This is mostly likely your best answer. I think he means 5 quart jug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: datech
You know a few years back I seem to remember that there was some suspicion that Walmart had somehow acquired phony branded oil. Counterfeit bottles or something.

I was changing my oil yesterday and I noticed the Mobil 1 bottle mentions Walmart on the bottle, like they get their own special batch or something. Do they have it made to order just for Walmart?

There is absolutely no difference in the Mobil 1 (or any other oil for that matter) that you buy in Wal-Mart vs a parts store.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Both are fantastic at wear protection but I'm not all that keen on the add packs that use sodium these days, and MS is one of them that does.

Any particular reason?

KCJeep and I use to have the same thoughts. Sodium does work very well but if you have an engine that has had intake gasket problems or one that is prone to it, detecting a coolant leak might be a little more difficult. Granted potassium usually shows up along with sodium but sometimes that's not always the case. It also takes a while for the residual sodium to make its way out of the system.

However, I've pretty much gotten over that worry now days and would use MS5K without hesitation.

The Walmarts in my area have recently had Havoline 5qt jugs for $13.50-ish. Just as good as any other brand unless there's something to the contrary.

Everyone knows Pennzoil comes from Unicorn tears falling from the sky.
grin.gif

Either one is fine but I would choose MS5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back