mini jump starter. i would not have believed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our suppliers came in peddling this.

He was bragging about it but i had my doubts. So for fun we disconnected both batteries that start my 87 f250. Hooked the little cigarette pack sized battery up using its little clamps.

That little box started my 420cuin 21:1 compression diesel engine!!! It spun a little slower than normal but it did work.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an emergency jump starter QVC was selling at Christmas for about $20. it is about the size of a coke can. Plug in the cig lighter and wait ten minutes. it is supposed to put enough charge in to start the vehicle. Also can be recharged. have no idea if it will work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
There is an emergency jump starter QVC was selling at Christmas for about $20. it is about the size of a coke can. Plug in the cig lighter and wait ten minutes. it is supposed to put enough charge in to start the vehicle. Also can be recharged. have no idea if it will work.

Caveats that come to my mind in this situation: Many car models disconnect the cigarette lighter/auxiliary socket from the battery when the key is in the off position, ergo battery won't get the juice.

If your socket is connected to the battery even if the key is in the off position but your battery is really weak from age or has a defect, it may not take a charge enough to get you going.

Trying to crank with a weak battery and with that device plugged in the cigarette lighter socket may actually burn up the car's relatively thin wires to the socket. A fire is a real possibility here.

LOL, one of those lobbed on my desk at work on Wednesday...looks like the exact one.

NiMH according to the pack...passed according to the local automotive electrician who tested it to death....including starting a half dozen dead cars.

I'm buying two...

Originally Posted By: berniedd

Caveats that come to my mind in this situation: Many car models disconnect the cigarette lighter/auxiliary socket from the battery when the key is in the off position, ergo battery won't get the juice.

If your socket is connected to the battery even if the key is in the off position but your battery is really weak from age or has a defect, it may not take a charge enough to get you going.

Trying to crank with a weak battery and with that device plugged in the cigarette lighter socket may actually burn up the car's relatively thin wires to the socket. A fire is a real possibility here.

Great observations. Related question. I have my deltran battery tender concected via my cig lighter which is active (on my BMW) with the key off. Is there any issue there?

Great observations. Related question. I have my deltran battery tender concected via my cig lighter which is active (on my BMW) with the key off. Is there any issue there?

I don't see any potential problems with that setup.

My uncle has the same thing on his F-250--works fine. Just to be safe, though, I would make sure to remove (or simply unplug) it before starting the car. It's PROBABLY fine...but why chance it?

I've noticed my cig lighter plugs mute with the key in start position, but likely not all of them.

Doesn't plug into the lighter, it clips to the battery...

Instructions say to remove withing 10 seconds of the car starting.

I am very interested in the product linked to the in OP. Would love to know more about its internals, and whether there are indeed capacitors and what types of cells it uses to get more than 12.8 volts.

This, or something like this will be the death knell for lead Acid batteries, and the weight savings alone will be a great place for overall weight reduction measures to help meet future CAFE standards

This does not have Lithium batteries? Doing this with NiMh will be tough even if this thing is loaded with Sanyo Eneloop!

I posted here Portable Jump Starter about the same type of version from Antigravity batteries called the Micro Start. Actually found the link/info from Consumer Reports. Watch the video, pretty serious little piece. Only $130 for the one in video (through Amazon)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Doesn't plug into the lighter, it clips to the battery...

Instructions say to remove withing 10 seconds of the car starting.

I was referring to Russell's reference to the QVC jump starter device that plugs into the cig lighter socket, not the device with the big battery clamps Chris142 mentions at the top of this thread.

Although there many options, I can't imagine anything other than a good pair of jumper cables, followed by a battery charger, and a new fn battery. Assuming charging system is up to par.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back