'08 Saturn Astra Oil fill hole. What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, 1st post here (hello!) but long time lurker. So I have an ’08 Astra with 63750 miles I got used. So far I changed the oil (500 miles after purchase where they changed the oil). I changed it to PU with NAPA gold oil, and air filter. Today I changed the spark plugs as well. So while doing this I took a few pictures of the Astras massive 1.8l ecotecs fill hole. I was looking for feedback into what you think. I didn’t think getting good pictures would be so hard. Also I didn’t get a picture of it but one of the lobes that is plainly visible had some scuffing? (Right word?) On it? I didn’t get a picture because that was during the oil change 2 weeks ago.
Well tell me what you all think, to me it looks alright, I see some deposits forming but it’s not a nasty crankcase.

DSC03030_zpsfc520b8f.jpg

DSC03034_zps17b49179.jpg

DSC03035_zps91783f56.jpg

DSC03036_zpsaca4854b.jpg

DSC03038_zps0ff37dd1.jpg

DSC03039_zps44a234c7.jpg

DSC03044_zpsf6227742.jpg

DSC03045_zps5d3bda48.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG!

Your engine looks great.

I've always liked the Astra. Does yours have the huge panoramic sunroof?

Do you plan on following the OLM?

I changed my mind, looks awful. You should deliver the car, and your supply of PU and Napa Gold filters to me immediately, and I'll begin the recycling process.

Hello and Welcome from another newbie! I really enjoy this site and I think you will too. Looks fine to me. Lightly varnished. IMO, nothing to worry about. I'd let the PU do it's cleaning and for the first few oil/filter changes, shorten the interval. BTW, I think those Astra's are really nice. Drove one and wanted to buy the Saturn dealer's demo, but unfortunately was just sold. It seems you will take good care of it. Many safe and pleasurable miles!

Man that thing is a ticking time bomb, leave the keys under the seat and i will be there to dispose of it for you.

Welcome aboard! engine looks fine from what i can see.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Welcome to BITOG!

Your engine looks great.

I've always liked the Astra. Does yours have the huge panoramic sunroof?

Do you plan on following the OLM?

I wish mine did! The only option besides being the higher XR trim is the auto tranny. I wish it had the heated cloth, Sport package and panoramic roof. Our other Astra (08 XR as well) has the sport package and it's a blast in the summer, the winter…not so much, the bigger rims show their limits.
And as the OLM goes it shows I have 11K until next oil change. I think it's still "calibrating" to my driving habits this oil change.
Thanks for all the humor everyone, I'll keep my car right where it's at.

Has the timing belt been changed yet? They seem to break early and well before the recommended interval. Wouldn't go more than 60k on it.

I'll have to look into the service history of it, but I would assume not. I have confidence in this car. The previous owner put good stuff in it. NAPA golds everywhere, Iridium spark plugs. The cleanest engine bay I've ever seen in a used car, as well as a very clean interior. I'll look into it and if not thanks for the heads up and I'll get it changed this spring/summer.

Many well-maintained engines have more varnish than this. It appears that you have an engine in excellent condition if we can only judge it through the oil fill hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back